Do specialty dining venues always book up in advance?

IUSteve

I'm traveling solo (first time cruiser) on Equinox starting July 10.  I looked at the app today and was alarmed to see very little apparently available in the way of reservations in specialty dining.  I hate the idea of having to decide this far in advance where I want to eat each night. 

Is it possible everything will book up before sailing?  Do they open up more reservations once you're onboard?  Can solo walkins usually get a table in specialty dining even if there are theoretically no reservations available?  Thanks!   

They will hold back space to be reserved once you are onboard, but you certainly can't depend on being able to walk-up to Murano and get a seat, but you can often do that with the Sushi restaurant.

Never hurts to ask though, but if you want to be sure of eating in a particular venue at least once then try to make a reservation on the day you board, if not before, then take your chances on the other nights.

If there is some place you really want to go, I'd make the best sounding reservation you can now and then see about changing it once you are on board.  They are very flexible about changing reservations.  I'd take that extra caution because there have been recent stories that sound like they are holding back few reservations than in the past (or none at all).

I usually make specialty dining reservations on embarkation day --- and sometimes change them a few times as the cruise progresses. Celebrity does create an impression of very low availability, but with a little flexibility, I get reservations I'm satisfied with. 

Heres the deal.   If you call up celebrity to book, and pay FULL price for an individual restaurant for a night, you can pick your day and time right then.. If you book and pay for a dining package at the discounted price, you can only book the restaurant, day, and time,  once onboard.   This was a learning lesson on Edge.  Others must have known this in advance. Eden was completely booked before we boarded. As was the Steakhouse, until 9pm, every night. Too late for us. I was within the first 30 people to get onboard, and went straight to book my reservations. I was shocked, and extremely disappointed.  Nobody cared.  Lesson learned..

Edited by Hawkstar33
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, IUSteve said:

I'm traveling solo (first time cruiser) on Equinox starting July 10.  I looked at the app today and was alarmed to see very little apparently available in the way of reservations in specialty dining.  I hate the idea of having to decide this far in advance where I want to eat each night. 

Is it possible everything will book up before sailing?  Do they open up more reservations once you're onboard?  Can solo walkins usually get a table in specialty dining even if there are theoretically no reservations available?  Thanks!   

Much depends on the individual sailing.  On our cruise, two nights were completely sold out well in advance.  That was because a large group had booked ALL the specialty restaurants for those evenings.  On most sailings, a certain number of slots are held back for those who have the dining packages.  So if you see an opening, I would book in advance.  You later may be able to change the time.  

Advice to those who think they may want specific time specialty dining reservations. 
Reserve asap. Prepay or use your onboard credits. If you decide to cancel later you can get a refund. The early bird catches the reservation.