Cruise insurance - through Celebrity or no?

lemon bar

Hi all!

So we don't normally buy trip insurance, but we decided to for our cruise. Not until April 2024 so we have time. We will be 50 by the time we cruise, it's an Eastern Caribbean cruise if that matters.

We always buy refundable plane tickets, so not worried about that. 

I know celebrity offers insurance - is that not a good option? Or perfectly fine?

thanks!

The Celebrity policy has very low limits for medical and evacuation.   The general advice on these boards is to contact a travel insurance broker and discuss your requirements with them and let them help you select a policy.  Here are the ones most often recommended here in no order.  Although your sailing is some time off there are some things like pre-existing condition waivers which require the policy to be purchased within 2-3 weeks of initial deposit.

www.insuremytrip.com

www.tripinsurancestore.com

www.squaremouth.com

Another note is many of the policies will allow you to purchase with the current out of pocket non-refundable expense.   For example we generally start our policy at just the cost of the deposit.  Then increase the policy amount every time we made additional non-refundable payments (like final payment).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Depends on your needs. We read all the information that tripinsurancestore provided, then came up with a plan/credit card program that fit our needs. We had always purchased the insurance through the cruise line and had cruise care added to our future cruises; was nice to see all those numbers come off our final payments....can book more cruises now!!

Talking to a broker is a good suggestion.  We just purchased an annual policy for the first time.  We'll be making at least three trips in the next 10 months.  We found a policy that offered good medical and a cash refund level close to the highest price trip we have, all at a cost of 1.9 times our normal cost of insurance for one trip.

If you are taking more than one trip in a year you may want to consider that.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, garyl62 said:

Talking to a broker is a good suggestion.  We just purchased an annual policy for the first time.  We'll be making at least three trips in the next 10 months.  We found a policy that offered good medical and a cash refund level close to the highest price trip we have, all at a cost of 1.9 times our normal cost of insurance for one trip.

If you are taking more than one trip in a year you may want to consider that.

What policy did you purchase? While I have found a good medical/evac policy, I am still searching for a good annual comprehensive policy.  

We just purchased the 7 Corners Roundtrip Choice  plan for  our 11 day Europe cruise. We are 70 snd 73. Pretty good price for the high medical and evacuation coverage, primary medical snd $2,000 for any post cruise quarantine  issues. First time. What convinced me was our younger neighbor just back from a RC B2B and 3 days upfront at Venice and yep, at the end he had Covid. Isolating at home now.

On 6/23/2022 at 1:32 PM, Jersey42 said:

What policy did you purchase? While I have found a good medical/evac policy, I am still searching for a good annual comprehensive policy.  

We were satisfied with the coverage provided with the plan we selected from Allianz.  It was a good fit for us based on our age, overall condition, type of traveling we have planned and the risk level we are comfortable with.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

We were satisfied with the coverage provided with the plan we selected from Allianz.  It was a good fit for us based on our age, overall condition, type of traveling we have planned and the risk level we are comfortable with.

Thanks for the response.  Glad you found a plan that works for you. Everyone's situation is different, and there is no one-size-fits-all plan. As you say, it's each person's situation and risk tolerance.

I have looked at four different annual plans from Allianz.  Unfortunately none of them meet our needs, especially with the medical coverage. I want primary medical coverage so I don't have to make a claim against my Medicare supplement's lifetime $50K maximum for foreign emergency coverage.  Plus I think $20K or $50K per trip is too low as medical is my biggest exposure risk.  That said, unlike some plans, I like that Allianz has a very reasonable pre-existing conditions waiver.

I will continue to look at annual travel plans that I have not seen before.  For now, I will keep an annual GeoBlue Trekker medical/evac plan and deal with other risks on a trip by trip basis.