Crown Princess July 23rd

KingKong2610

I’ll be doing my first Alaskan Cruise on July 23rd. Despite the negative reviews of the Crown, I’ve decided that Glacier Bay was the winning ticket for me to choose Crown over the Discovery. Just wondering what everyone’s must do’s would be at each of the ports that we visit. I’ll be traveling solo as well and have always wanted to do an Alaskan Cruise! 

Good for you ... we loved the sled dogs, the goofy lumberjack show and the bear sanctuary.  Icy Strait Point was a fabulous day, I so admire what those locals have created.  While it was really cool to see the color in the icebergs floating right off the ship, the glaciers were a big disappointment, all dirty looking.  I've watched too many nature shows over the years I guess.  We really enjoyed the whole cruise, but a word of warning ... we were there during August and it was HOT.  We had nothing to wear!  Never occurred to me to check the temps like I always do.  I mean, it's Alaska, right?  You'll have a ball. 

I was on the Crown in May this year and I didn't find Glacier Bay's glaciers to be anything other than white.  I went in May to see the most possible snow--presumably there will be somewhat less in July.  I also took the train ride out of Skagway and there was plenty of snow near the turnaround point (and elsewhere), but again there will be less in July.

Enjoy your first trip to Alaska!

Any tours that get you out of the towns and into the wilderness are what, IMO, you really want.   Heck, it's why you come to Alaska.  Given that and the ports you will be in:

• Helicopter ride to a glacier - Juneau is the best option which we did, but Skagway MAY give you an option too.  There are a few different choices typically.  All are pricey.
  • Tracy Arm Fjord Excursion - In some cases the boat will pass by the mouth of the Fjord on the way to Juneau and you hop off the ship onto the excursion boat (this is what we did).  I don't think the Crown Princess does that, so you would have to take it from Juneau.  It does make for a longer day as the excursion boat has to back-track to the Fjord, but very cool nonetheless.
  •  Ziplining in Skagway - does require a lot of walking and some climbing up hills
  • Whale watching in Juneau or Icy Strait

One of the biggest bummers about Alaska this year is the reports of canceled excursions.  Given how many people will do Alaska ONCE, I feel bad for them.

• 3 weeks later...

King crab legs at Tracy’s in Juneau! A drink at the Red Onion in Skagway (sit at the bar so you can talk to the bartenders). Any chance to visit with a Sourdough! Bird watching, wild life watching for that matter.