Streamlined Canada/US Customs in Vancouver

Sopwith

For the information of those travelling in and out of Vancouver, the Port of Vancouver has now arranged a program with Canadian and US Customs that allows direct transfer of certain passengers between the ship and YVR without having to clear customs at the ship.

See http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaCruise/content/infoPassengers/usDirect.html

What if you are taking the amtrak from seattle to vancouver? We are arriving a few days before our cruise leaves out of Vancouver with the kids and 2 other families and thought it would be fun to ride the amtrak into vancouver. What is the customs process here. We had to give our birth certificate numbers, etc when we booked with amtrak, but what will we be required to do once we arrive in Vancouver?

I'm not 100% sure, but the tracks run right beside the I-5 where it crosses the border, and I expect that the train stops at Canada Customs. If not, there will be customs clearance either on the train or when it arrives at the station in Vancouver.

Thanks, anyway, Neil in Vancouver. If you find out anything specific, post it here and let us know. Thanks again. ALso, while we are in Vancouver, what is the one thing we need to do over and above everything else? I've heard about the suspension bridge. Is this as fun and wonderful as I've read about? ANy suggestions? We'll have 6 kids with us (and 6 adults). Thanks again!

The Capilano Suspension bridge is very popular and quite interesting. It depends how long you have in Vancouver, but Stanley Park is close to the Cruise Terminal - a hop-on-hop-off bus will take you there - and there is plenty to do there. Just look around the formal gardens, visit the Aquarium, take a horse and buggy ride round the park, have tea at one of the restaurants or tea houses, watch a cricket game, just meander round the shoreline and watch the ships, etc.

Further afield there is an Imax theatre, a marine museum and shopping.

Airport to Port

With bags that have been pre-tagged for ramp transfer direct to the ship. >>

this is the one i have a problem with ---- when you are in your cabin and a bag is missing does this mean it hasnt been delivered to your room yet or does it mean that the airline lost it and you are now sailing minus a bag-- who do you contact and how regarding missing bag -- and when do you make the contact considering that the bag may sill be in the ships hold awaiting cabin dellivery

What if you are taking the amtrak from seattle to vancouver? We are arriving a few days before our cruise leaves out of Vancouver with the kids and 2 other families and thought it would be fun to ride the amtrak into vancouver. What is the customs process here. We had to give our birth certificate numbers, etc when we booked with amtrak, but what will we be required to do once we arrive in Vancouver?

I have taken the train from Seattle to Vancouver. When the train arrives in Vancouver you present your passport or id to the custom officers in the station. Th Amtrak conductor gives out the same form that is given out on airplanes. The train is cleared first with the reserved seat passengers and then one car at a time, so it is best to get a seat on the first car. The procedure is very easy and I do not remember waiting too long in line.

Last year there was only 1 train a day. It left Seattle in the morning and arrived in Vancouver just about noon. There is some very nice scenery, so try to get a seat on the left side of the train.

Thanks Kruzkeen! That is the one we are on, the A.M. one that is. We will try to get there early.

We will be in Vancouver about noon the day before our ship sails so we won't be rushed that day as far as meeting the ship. thanks for all the info Scottish Cruiser.

Archived