Port Elizabeth, South Africa (Gqeberha)

kirsten1526

Hi everyone!

Has anyone been to Port Elizabeth (Gqeberha) before? It was brought to my attention by a guide in the region that this port might close at 6pm. Though, we are supposed to dock there overnight (NCL Jade in Dec 2022) and depart at 5am next day. Would be helpful as I'm trying to arrange a night safari. 

Thank you in advance for your help on this matter!!

Best,

Kirsten 

Hi, Kirsten

There are private game reserves adjoining Addo Elephant Park, about an hour from Port Elizabeth.

Addo is a South African National Park - altho "Elephant" is in its title, it has a wide variety of game.

Just like its big brother, Kruger National Park, it can be driven by anyone in a private car so you can rent & drive or fix up a tour with a safari organisation or just a  P.E. car + driver. No need for a jeep or 4WD.

But the National Parks usually close at dusk & re-open around dawn. Those who lodge (little bungalows, some parks with small hotels, tents, etc) within the parks have to be at their camps by dusk. No night safaris at Kruger, probably the same at Addo. 

But private reserves do offer night drives and night walks. altho I suspect they may be part of a package of usually 3 days, 3 nights. And expensive.

We've driven Addo, and we've seen a  couple of private reserves adjacent - including a large one on its north side across the R342 road - possibly that's https://www.shamwari.com/

Google lists several others under "private reserve near Addo"

Check their websites & mebbe e-mail them.

The National Park is https://www.sanparks.org/parks/addo/

Sorry, can't help with the port - we were on a road-trip.

JB 🙂

• Like 1

I am looking for a car hire or a driver from this port to go to Monkeyland in Plettenberg Bay.  Can anyone recommend either a car company (maybe even one that would have pick up and drop off at the port) or a trustworthy driver with good English?  We will be on the NCL Jade arriving January 28 into Port Elizabeth.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

7 hours ago, wblevin said:

I am looking for a car hire or a driver from this port to go to Monkeyland in Plettenberg Bay.  Can anyone recommend either a car company (maybe even one that would have pick up and drop off at the port) or a trustworthy driver with good English?  We will be on the NCL Jade arriving January 28 into Port Elizabeth.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

In Port Elizabeth we are using Alan Tours. Don't know where else they go as we are booked into Addo Elephant Park.

On 6/28/2022 at 4:17 AM, kirsten1526 said:

In Port Elizabeth we are using Alan Tours. Don't know where else they go as we are booked into Addo Elephant Park.

We used Alan Tour for the Addo Elephant Park.They were excellent 

• Like 1