Port Canaveral boarding???

vacalovers

I know when cruising first came back into service there were some changes to satisfy covid restrictions. Now I'm trying to understand if the changes have become permanent and if anyone can explain them.  As a diamond cruiser in lieu of priority boarding carnival allows you to choose check in time 2 days earlier than others, is this actually a benefit when all you do is go into the general area and wait for your zone to be called? And the fact that it doesn't matter what time your arrival is they let you into the building when you arrive. They have a reserved area for suites but nothing for platinum or diamond. And what determines your boarding zone? Should it be your arrival time? Your tier level platinum or diamond or something else? As stated being diamond with an arrival time of 10 am but I get a boarding zone under the B zone? Yes I was on at 1130 and happy about that but if carnival is going to say the benefit is to choose arrival window can someone explain what is that actual benefit? Has anyone else experienced this? Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

I believe I can answer a couple of your questions.

Yes, the "Arrival Appointment" time is important because it correlates to your boarding zone number.  Earliest arrival appointments get zone A01 and so forth.  That is unless you are in a suite.  If you are in a suite port Canaveral has a very nice waiting area for guests in suites and they are gathered up and boarded first regardless of zone.

We have been to Port Canaveral twice (we are platinum) since cruising resumed and they were not letting anyone into the check-in line regardless of Arrival Appointment.  Each time they checked our boarding passes carefully. Both times we had an early arrival appointment and Zone A01 for boarding.

I was actually impressed with Port Canaveral, our experience went smoothly both times (once at 50% capacity and once at full capacity).  With one exception - their sound system is terrible.  I was not able to understand the announcements or the zones they were calling at all.  Fortunately I think they finally realize this and sometimes hold up signs.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, vacalovers said:

I know when cruising first came back into service there were some changes to satisfy covid restrictions. Now I'm trying to understand if the changes have become permanent and if anyone can explain them.  As a diamond cruiser in lieu of priority boarding carnival allows you to choose check in time 2 days earlier than others, is this actually a benefit when all you do is go into the general area and wait for your zone to be called? And the fact that it doesn't matter what time your arrival is they let you into the building when you arrive. They have a reserved area for suites but nothing for platinum or diamond. And what determines your boarding zone? Should it be your arrival time? Your tier level platinum or diamond or something else? As stated being diamond with an arrival time of 10 am but I get a boarding zone under the B zone? Yes I was on at 1130 and happy about that but if carnival is going to say the benefit is to choose arrival window can someone explain what is that actual benefit? Has anyone else experienced this? Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

That depends... at Port Canaveral  

In February on the Magic, no one checked arrival appointment times and since boarding had began by the time those of us who had early arrival times and early Boarding Group got into the terminal, they were letting everyone straight onboard regardless arrival appointment or Boarding group.

In May, on the Mardi Gras, again no one checked for arrival appointments so everyone was let into the terminal but they did call Boarding Groups by numbers and checked. Suites who are in a separate area were first to board.  

6 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Because of the Covid19 very slow check in, they no longer did Priority boarding for Diamond. From what I have read, it is back. I can certainly be incorrect on that.

It isn't but it takes 10 seconds longer than PreCovid.  Terminal person saw my Priority Boarding Pass and opened up the rope to send me to the shorter line

Sorry, maybe I should clarify, on our past several cruises, we have always gotten the first boarding zone after suites (A01).  But that comes with a very early arrival appointment (Between 10:00 - 10:30 usually, but it varies by port).  But that can mean waiting up to an hour in the boarding area depending on how quickly you get through the check-in/security process and when they start boarding.   

I think I understand what you are saying though, and I agree, the old days of Diamond/Platinum arriving anytime during the boarding process and being able to pretty much walk right through priority check-in lines and right onto the ship, are sadly gone for now (unless you happen to have really good timing).  In our past 8 cruises (since the new process started) we have gotten lucky a couple of times, and by the time we were through check-in and security they started boarding within 10 minutes.  But we usually end up waiting in the boarding area.

Edited by csm5986142

43 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

That depends... at Port Canaveral  

In February on the Magic, no one checked arrival appointment times and since boarding had began by the time those of us who had early arrival times and early Boarding Group got into the terminal, they were letting everyone straight onboard regardless arrival appointment or Boarding group.

In May, on the Mardi Gras, again no one checked for arrival appointments so everyone was let into the terminal but they did call Boarding Groups by numbers and checked. Suites who are in a separate area were first to board.  

Absolutely seems to depend a PC!! We cruised outta there last November...Arrived a few minutes prior to our check-in time...was quite the cluster!!! Very disorganized. We just went with screw it..we're here we'll check in and board...when we check in and board...surely before the ship sails!! Standing in line there was some commotion behind us...a port Carnival rep was asking for all Plats and Diamonds to come forth, ushered us into the terminal to the shortest check in line..yeaaaa!!! But...alas...one more "hassle" before hitting the mass of chairs in the terminal to wait for them to call the boarding zones. Going through luggage check-in, dude made us take our 2 legit bottles of wine out of our carry-ons, he then went with, oh no, can't take these onboard...we're like...*****??? Fortunately another security person chimed in and told the dude...we're good, Carnival allows them...and off we went...to said chairs to  wait....

• Like 2

I am speaking from experience here today. My boarding pass doesn't show priority just shows diamond however my luggage tag shows priority.  We had an arrival window of 10-1030 and there person in front of us in line had arrival of 12-1230 there was no one checking times just that you had a boarding pass.  As far as waiting to board its expected as we are waiting for everyone to disembark. My 2 Mardi Gras cruises this year were the same but my boarding were A1 and A2 respectively however this short getaway my boarding was B1? That is why I asked what is the true determination of boarding zones as it doesn't seem to be arrival time or tier status. 

This is the reason we always choose the 12-12:30 check in time! Most of the time the early arrivals have already boarded and we just go thru the checkin and security and right on to the ship. I see no sense in arriving at 10:00 to sit and wait to get on board! All in our group are Diamond, and we’re getting on as fast if not faster than precovid.