Buying CFAR Insurance

lpmom

13 minutes ago, lpmom said:

When should I buy CFAR insurance? Before or after I make my deposit.

CFAR insurance is one of those insurances that you have to purchase shortly after initial deposit.

Otherwise, it would be too easy for the insurance company to be on the hook for last minute cancellations.

Edited by klfrodo

48 minutes ago, lpmom said:

When should I buy CFAR insurance? Before or after I make my deposit.

@klfrodo gave you an excellent answer to your question. I'll add - shortly after your deposit typically means 21 days (or less).

You did not ask "what CFAR insurance should I buy", but I will offer a few things to think about.  If you look at your options at least you can make an informed decision.

IF CFAR is important to you, always look at the cruise line plan, in addition  to third party plans.  For some people, the cruise line plan might be a better option.  Here are some things to consider:

• Cruise line CFAR plans typically offer a 75-100% Future Cruise Credit (FCC). Third party plans typically offer 75% cash back.  The FCC usually has time restrictions for booking date or sail date or both. I do not know of any situation where the restriction is less than a year.  Is an FCC acceptable, especially if it is a larger amount than the cash?  By the way, if you are sailing HAL (90% cash), Oceania (no CFAR) or MSC (no CFAR) their plans work differently.
  • Cruise line plans only give you a credit for the cruise fare.  Hotels, air or any other prepaid expenses are not covered. Taxes, fees and pre-booked items are refunded in cash, even without insurance. Do you have any or many non-cruise expenses?
  • Cruise line plans can usually be purchased up until the final payment date, so you have more time.
  • Cruise line plans are usually pretty weak in medical coverage.  Most are $25K or less and pay secondary.  Do you have other medical coverage, or do you need primary medical coverage?
  • Cruise line plans are usually cheaper than third party CFAR plans. Sometimes you can buy the cruise line plan and a separate (non CFAR) third party plan with a $1 trip cost for less than a third party CFAR plan. This may be more complex than you want to make it, but it gives you the cruise line CFAR benefits and the better medical (and possibly other) benefits of a third party plan.

None of this is as simple as it should be, and there is no one-size-fits-all answer.

Edited by Jersey42