Pride loss of power June 10 Norway cruise

poindexter

I’ve waited to see if anyone else would post about the loss of power we experienced  one night on this cruise. It happened around 1 am in the middle of the Norwegian Sea. Having an aft balcony cabin, I can tell you that there was a period of time where there was no engine power, no propulsion, no ventilation, and emergency lighting only.  I awoke in the middle of it, so I can’t say how long it lasted. What disturbs me (aside from the obvious fear) is that there was never any acknowledgment of this from the captain or the company. As a long time Carnival cruiser, the lack of transparency bothers me, especially in light of past issues they have had. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, poindexter said:

I’ve waited to see if anyone else would post about the loss of power we experienced  one night on this cruise. It happened around 1 am in the middle of the Norwegian Sea. Having an aft balcony cabin, I can tell you that there was a period of time where there was no engine power, no propulsion, no ventilation, and emergency lighting only.  I awoke in the middle of it, so I can’t say how long it lasted. What disturbs me (aside from the obvious fear) is that there was never any acknowledgment of this from the captain or the company. As a long time Carnival cruiser, the lack of transparency bothers me, especially in light of past issues they have had. 

I was on this cruise and had no idea this happened until I saw social media posts about it. The ship is not forthcoming about anything, for example there are multiple cases of Covid onboard with people in quarantine but you wouldn't have known it since there was ZERO mention of anything Covid related in the 31 days I was on the Pride in Europe. Given that there didn't seem to be lasting effects from the power outage there was no need to alert the guests. From my perspective the lack of transparency around covid cases was more concerning since there's active new cases. You wouldn't have known it being on board though.

Lastly did you know that Guest Services had no idea which particular Dock we were going to be at for our Bergen Port stop? The night before our Bergen stop I asked which particular dock we would be at and if it was further away from the city center would there be a shuttle. No one knew the answer and Guest Services was going to Google the information for me. In other words no one on board the ship thought it important enough to give the most BASIC Port Stop information to Guest Services.

• Like 1

There was a huge lack of communication on this ship. Guest services didn’t know the answers to several questions we had and once, they just dodged the question. The captain spoke 3 times on the intercom about the weather and the ship’s position.  We never saw him or the senior officers, probably because of the Covid spread.  3/4 of our group were positive when we got home.  There were no announcements reminding people about cleanliness, hand washing, social distancing, etc. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, poindexter said:

There was a huge lack of communication on this ship. Guest services didn’t know the answers to several questions we had and once, they just dodged the question. The captain spoke 3 times on the intercom about the weather and the ship’s position.  We never saw him or the senior officers, probably because of the Covid spread.  3/4 of our group were positive when we got home.  There were no announcements reminding people about cleanliness, hand washing, social distancing, etc. 

Exactly, which is why it's no surprise that they didn't say anything about the power outage since it was short and didn't have any residual effects (that we know of). We still had a great time visiting all the great cities. But it doesn't mean one can't be critical of things that should be better. I've done 7 cruises since the restart before the 3 on the Pride, 2 cruises were on the Mardi Gras in April, so I know what to expect from cruising since the restart and more importantly from Carnival themselves. The Pride did fall short in many areas, but again we did have a good time.  

• Like 1

It had no real impact.  So really a nonissue.  So bringing it up just to rattle the easily rattled makes no sense.  As far as covid, yes there are cases on your ship.  If this bothers you don't sail.  I am sure each trip has covid cases.  What do you expect them to say.  hey, we have three cases of covid.  There is nothing else they could do.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, poindexter said:

If you don't now about covid, and precautions you can take, where have you been? Carnival can tell people to mask up and they still ignore the rule. or any other rules.

You acknowledge you may be exposed to covid before you ever set foot on the ship.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

Lastly did you know that Guest Services had no idea which particular Dock we were going to be at for our Bergen Port stop? The night before our Bergen stop I asked which particular dock we would be at and if it was further away from the city center would there be a shuttle. No one knew the answer and Guest Services was going to Google the information for me. In other words no one on board the ship thought it important enough to give the most BASIC Port Stop information to Guest Services.

Did you go to the port lectures and ask?

It is easy to google

https://bergenhavn.no/en/cruise-en/call-schedules-cruise/

43 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Did you go to the port lectures and ask?

It is easy to google

https://bergenhavn.no/en/cruise-en/call-schedules-cruise/

Yes I did attend the Norwegian Fjords Ports of Call show and the Cruise Director didn't want to answer any questions. He was just there to sell the remaining Carnival tours. He literally started off saying he wasn't going to answer any questions. And that's besides the point. That's basic information yes, I could have googled it, and I normally do, but I at the moment I forgot about googling the Bergen port schedule. I knew there were several different docks where some were closer and others were further, so I asked Guest Services. What about other passengers who don't have Wifi or Mobile phone service? What are they supposed to do? Which is why I'm saying that's as basic information as you can ask, where is the pier we are going to stop at in less than 10 hours?  There's no longer any printed Ports of Call information handed out, nor does the Carnival app have that information, nor do they post that information on a video loop on the CCTV. 

• Like 3

As far as covid, yes there are cases on your ship.  If this bothers you don't sail.  I am sure each trip has covid cases.  What do you expect them to say.  hey, we have three cases of covid.  There is nothing else they could do.  

THIS...THIS...THIS

The entire world knows (very first hand) about covid after the last 2 years.  We should not still be talking about what to do, how to test, do we test etc...if you are cruising you should be well versed at this point in covid protocols and expect that there will be cases at some point along the way.  The longer you are grouped together with a lot of cruisers or in port walking or riding around,  the bigger the risk and you could be one of them, full stop! 

As someone else suggested in a previous post, if you dont know about covid and you need reminders, then maybe cruising should not be your vacation of choice...just sayin 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Yes I did attend the Norwegian Fjords Ports of Call show and the Cruise Director didn't want to answer any questions. He was just there to sell the remaining Carnival tours. He literally started off saying he wasn't going to answer any questions. And that's besides the point. That's basic information yes, I could have googled it, and I normally do, but I at the moment I forgot about googling the Bergen port schedule. I knew there were several different docks where some were closer and others were further, so I asked Guest Services. What about other passengers who don't have Wifi or Mobile phone service? What are they supposed to do? Which is why I'm saying that's as basic information as you can ask, where is the pier we are going to stop at in less than 10 hours?  There's no longer any printed Ports of Call information handed out, nor does the Carnival app have that information, nor do they post that information on a video loop on the CCTV. 

If you buy Carnival tours, it is taken care of. If you don't, you accept all responsibility. I would think even if they knew which dock, the port authority could switch it.

• Like 2

Just now, BlerkOne said:

If you buy Carnival tours, it is taken care of. If you don't, you accept all responsibility. I would think even if they knew which dock, the port authority could switch it.

That's maybe how you see it, but I don't. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, poindexter said:

There were no announcements reminding people about cleanliness, hand washing, social distancing, etc. 

I don't really think that's a thing at this point in our lives that we need to be reminded about.  

Heck, I actually washed my hands, cleaned up after myself and stayed away from coughing people even before the great galactic pandemic.   😉

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

That's maybe how you see it, but I don't. 

That's fair.

But if you go off on a private excursion and don't make it back on time, is that Carnival's fault? Would you expect them to hold the ship?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Heck, I actually washed my hands, cleaned up after myself and stayed away from coughing people even before the great galactic pandemic.   😉

That's the real shocker - that some people need to be reminded to practice basic hygiene? Why does it take an outbreak of covid, noro, whatever and reminders from others?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

That's fair.

But if you go off on a private excursion and don't make it back on time, is that Carnival's fault? Would you expect them to hold the ship?

No of course not. 

13 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

That's fair.

Something like this with the most BASIC information, is what I expect a cruiseship to have for all ports of call and distribute in some kind of fashion, whether print, Mobile app, CCTV loop, or all three.

And as you see it WAS done as recently as pre-pandemic for Celebrity. 

PXL_20220627_230227125.jpg

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Something like this with the most BASIC information, is what I expect a cruiseship to have for all ports of call and distribute in some kind of fashion, whether print, Mobile app, CCTV loop, or all three.

And as you see it WAS done as recently as pre-pandemic for Celebrity. 

I do believe Carnival was trying to hand us port shopping maps in every port we've been to since cruising restarted, albeit in black and white. We just ignore them, but that is on us.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

I do believe Carnival was trying to hand us port shopping maps in every port we've been to since cruising restarted, albeit in black and white. We just ignore them, but that is on us.

None where made of any ports in Europe. I was on the Pride from May 19- June 19th. In one of the Spain ports they did have a printout but it was literally a homemade Google maps printout of how to walk from the ship pier into the city center. No Carnival Logo, nothing other information. Yes it was definitely helpful and the information was valuable, but it was evident that it was an off the cuff decision and not something pre-planned, which is my whole point. 

5 hours ago, thunderingherd11 said:

So bringing it up just to rattle the easily rattled makes no sense.

I feel like this is unnecessarily harsh and dismissive. I know OP was in their room at the time, but if it was really 1am I'm sure a lot of folks were also up partying around the ship and would have found a power outage concerning. There's nothing wrong with trying to get more information if it's available.

Maybe I'm the only one, but loss of propulsion combined with a lack of communication about said loss of propulsion is much scarier and worth reporting than a few covid cases and having to worry about additional ground transportation once in port due to lack of guest sometimeservices lack of knowledge.  

We're booked on the Pride out of Rome on Sept. 11 and I want to hear about loss of propulsion every time it happens between now and then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

None where made of any ports in Europe. I was on the Pride from May 19- June 19th. In one of the Spain ports they did have a printout but it was literally a homemade Google maps printout of how to walk from the ship pier into the city center. No Carnival Logo, nothing other information. Yes it was definitely helpful and the information was valuable, but it was evident that it was an off the cuff decision and not something pre-planned, which is my whole point. 

Okay. I guess no Diamonds International to sponsor them. I see your point.

1 minute ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Maybe I'm the only one, but loss of propulsion combined with a lack of communication about said loss of propulsion is much scarier and worth reporting than a few covid cases and having to worry about additional ground transportation once in port due to lack of guest sometimeservices lack of knowledge.  

We're booked on the Pride out of Rome on Sept. 11 and I want to hear about loss of propulsion every time it happens between now and then.

You're not going to hear about anything on the Pride. The captain's report daily report consists of the weather report and distance traveled and how much more to the next port. No more, no less. There's no information on the TV about anything concerning your cruise. Nothing. It's the Carnival lifestyle programs that are constantly looping on the CCTV channels. Felipe the cruise director doesn't do a daily morning or evening show. 

11 minutes ago, notscb said:

I feel like this is unnecessarily harsh and dismissive. I know OP was in their room at the time, but if it was really 1am I'm sure a lot of folks were also up partying around the ship and would have found a power outage concerning. There's nothing wrong with trying to get more information if it's available.

The ships had emergency generators added so basic hotel services would function. If there was a blackout, I doubt it would be for long.

I was also reading about what sounds like a burst water pipe on the ship. These also happen sooner or later on all ships.