Ward Lake at Ward Cove, Ketchikan

Ingabinga

In September, we will be docking at Ward Cove. We have been to Ketchikan before. SInce we are only there from 6:30AM to 1PM, there is only a short time in town. I am hoping to walk from Ward Cove to Ward Lake and take the trail around the lake. Has anyone from a cruise done it? Is it a bad idea? We are avid walkers and physically it isn't a problem.

I think that it may be walkable, it is a short distance from the port. But I would like some input from fellow cruisers. I emailed the tourist board and have not received any response yet.

Thank you for the link. There appears to be a shoulder area on the highway that appears walkable and then take Ward Lake road to the lake and the trail that circles the lake. I wonder if there is a possible shortcut by the Alaska Marine building to avoid a major part of the highway.

After looking at the road I wonder about the "trail". It is a lot more money but the crab boat tour might be worth looking at on youtube. Here are some photos of crab boat tour. Start w/ post #67. 

Trip Report w/Pics HAL Alaska June 19-26, 2022 Seattle Roundtrip Westerdam - Page 3 - Holland America Line - Cruise Critic Community

sightcrr

We were in Ward Cove last year. We rented a car and drove all over - including to Ward Lake. It’s one of our favorite spots! The walk from port to Ward Lake would be pretty long - it’s quite a ways in from the main road and there are not sidewalks or even much room to walk in some places. There were a couple of taxis servicing the passengers - I would suggest using one of those to get you back and forth. 

• Like 1