Walking sticks

tobique33040

We are on Into the midnight sun cruise July 15. Hearing horror stories about Heathrow. I’m pretty much planning to ditch my usual mid sized suitcase that I check, and take a carryon. Unfortunately, my walking sticks won’t fit in. My daughter has decided on a hiking excursion in almost every port, so I’m wondering if Viking has walking sticks onboard which they loan? 

They do not.  I bring my own.  My first set were too long for my carry on, so I put them in my backpack and the handles stuck out.  I have always gotten them through TSA without any problem, but DH was afraid they’d get confiscated.  I now have a set that shrinks down smaller and easily fit in my carry on suitcase.

1 hour ago, tobique33040 said:

We are on Into the midnight sun cruise July 15. Hearing horror stories about Heathrow. I’m pretty much planning to ditch my usual mid sized suitcase that I check, and take a carryon. Unfortunately, my walking sticks won’t fit in. My daughter has decided on a hiking excursion in almost every port, so I’m wondering if Viking has walking sticks onboard which they loan? 

Don’t know who you are flying with but BA have a habit of making you put your hand luggage in the hold on a full flight ( even if it fits their size requirements) . You might just as well take a normal suitcase and a carryon. 

2 hours ago, cruisinchrissy said:

Don’t know who you are flying with but BA have a habit of making you put your hand luggage in the hold on a full flight ( even if it fits their size requirements) . You might just as well take a normal suitcase and a carryon. 

Sounds like a plan. I am flying American which is essentially BA so I may just do that. Thanks! And thanks to all for suggestions. 

I have a set of sticks that collapse but aren’t small enough to fit inside my rollaboard. I’ve flown with them without issue.  I do use two sets of small rubber bands (actually pony tail bands left from when I had long hair) to connect them together so they aren’t an issue to deal with. 

I took my walking stick through Amsterdam  Airport (don't go there) without incident.  The stick was checked through security, but not a problem.   I was flying BA from Amsterdam to London.