SeaLife underwater cameras

HarleyGirl

Has anyone tried this brand of underwater cameras for snorkeling? I am just not happy with the disposable waterproof camera pictures. They're awful! I noticed that SeaLife cameras have mixed reviews on Amazon.com with some being great and some being bad, but there is a large range of prices and even at the lower end, about $40, if the pics were decent, that would be better than the disposables and about the same amount of money with buying the disposables and getting them developed. Please post any experiences you have had with these cameras. Thanks!

I replaced my Bonica underwater cam with a Sealife Reefmaster and I am very happy with how it performs. I am by no means an expert in underwater photography, but if this is just for snorkeling any of the Sealife film camera will do a more than acceptable job.

I have seen great results from digital underwater cameras, but I am not ready to make that investment yet.

Mike

I'm not really ready for the digital expense either, although it would be great to be able to delete the pics I don't want. I just don't snorkel enough to warrant paying that much. I am also curious about the Canon Elph Sport, which can be used underwater and has great reviews online.

Well here's my take on it...... I had a Suprema Sport underwater film camera when I first started last year... It did a great little job but not awesome and limited. Then I wanted a digital camera... I went with the sealife reefmaster 3.3 megapixel digital camera. Let me just say, I have had nothing but problems with this camera... The first time I used it, it flooded the entire system including the strobe... Plus it's very cheaply made.. It looks like a kids plastic camera.. With that being said, Sealife customer service has been awesome.... They totally replaced the whole camera set-up when I sent it back... Also, when I first got it, it came with a defective strobe.. They Fed-ex'd 3 different strobes to get one working for me as I had a dive and needed it... So I used it off/on for 4 months.. Then in Nov. the little door covering the battery compartment broke..... Sent it back to them and I was sent a whole new camera... I did want to pay a small amount and do an upgrade to the new 500 model but they wouldn't do that... That did frustrate me but other than that, the customer service was great.. However, I was very frustrated with the camera and saved and bought a whole new digital camera set... But it did take pretty good photos.... I'll include one here so you can see...Also, the camera is not user friendly for divers.. The buttons are very small on the water proof case and if you wear gloves, almost impossible.... Probably more than you wanted to know but there ya go......lol....

cpCKa02CvlUuQYJNiQJeTVwCP-XTClbk0300.jpg

Depending on when you need the camera, you may want to check out the recently announced Olympus 710 SW. I'ts a regular camera, but sealed and waterproof to 13 ft. (200 ft. with optional dive housing) and built to take a drop from 4-5 feet without damage. It was announced in February and should be in the stores in a few weeks.

If you already have a digital point-and-shoot, you may want to check out http://www.ewa-marine.com/english/index.htm for a list of available housings. They are usually under $100 and are rated to 33', which should work well for the occasional snokel/scuba trip.

Dave

I actually would only be snorkeling and probably wouldnt be wearing any gloves for that so i shouldnt have any trouble operation-wise. That picture is very good for underwater--in my opinion anyway--very clear. The trouble you had with the Reefmaster is not uncommon from the reviews on Amazon. It seems everyone likes the quality of the pics, but problems with the cameras happen quite often. I don't know what I'm going to end up getting! Thanks for posting an example of a pic by Sea Life though.

Harleygirl,

Your welcome for the info... Your right about alot of the photos being pretty clear... But I also had a strobe.. So that makes a huge difference.. But my snorkeling ones are really good.... You will probably be ok with the DC 500.... Just don't go lower as in the DC 310.. Awful.. The 500 I saw looked to be a huge improvement but not alot of reviews out yet......... Good luck to you.....

• 1 month later...

Archived