First time msc- lots of questions on ports and ship

Vampiress88

Going on preziosa. Can’t seem to work out what the speciality restaurants are and where to find sample menus. 

we have kids in the cabin, so are the Pullman or the sofa bed made up every night or just left out? Or can we put them away for more space if they don’t. 

are there any cabins or decks to avoid staying on? 

is there freedom dining or only the sittings 6.30 and 8.30? 

we are a family of 4 with kids and don’t really want to sit and annoy others. Will they give us a 4 table or will we be sat with others? 

we are going to Rotterdam, Hamburg, Cherbourg, La harves and zeebruge. Are any of these tenders? 

Can you still get free tap water? I don’t drink much. 

Do you all have to have the same drinks package? Or can I just buy for the kids etc? I don’t do alcohol. 

im sure there are many more

Haven't been on Preziosa so can't say anything specific to the ship. 

Dining times depend on experience booked, Aurea gets anytime dining, Bella and Fantastica get allocated a sitting. Go and check table when you board and if you don't like it ask straight away if you can change (also applies to sitting). They will try to accomodate you. 

Haven't been to Cherbourg but the other ports are docked not tender, Everyone has to have the same drinks package (kids obviously no alcohol).

Re your other thread about differences to P and O, one big difference on this itinerary is that people will embark at probably every port so a variety of nationalities. We did a similar cruise on Magnifica and the main embarkation port was classed as Hamburg so they treat that as day one. If they do sit you with anyone else they will be English speaking.

36 minutes ago, kernow said:

Haven't been on Preziosa so can't say anything specific to the ship. 

Dining times depend on experience booked, Aurea gets anytime dining, Bella and Fantastica get allocated a sitting. Go and check table when you board and if you don't like it ask straight away if you can change (also applies to sitting). They will try to accomodate you. 

Haven't been to Cherbourg but the other ports are docked not tender, Everyone has to have the same drinks package (kids obviously no alcohol).

Re your other thread about differences to P and O, one big difference on this itinerary is that people will embark at probably every port so a variety of nationalities. We did a similar cruise on Magnifica and the main embarkation port was classed as Hamburg so they treat that as day one. If they do sit you with anyone else they will be English speaking.

My youngest likes to talk and has no filter so anyone they put us with would probably ask to move lol

its fantastica so would opt for 6.30. Just with kids it’s easier to have freedom etc. 

In addition regarding drink packages: there is the "alcohol-free drink package" for adults, so you can book this for the adults and the "minors package" for the kids. Booking before cruise saves you 15% service charge.

Free water (also some liquids they call "coffee" or "juice") is only available in the buffet restaurant, but is has been reported that passengers from some countries (where free water on the table is common practice) get also bottled water for free in MDR.

afaik Butchers cut menu is the same on all MSC ships. There are pictures/videos about it available here and on youtube.

We had a look at Galaxy menu 3 weeks ago on preziosa (seems to be little information about it in www) and found it less appealing then Kaito, so we stayed with the YC restaurant.

Sofa bed made up every night or left out all time depends on the steward. We experienced both - as we like to have a sofa at daytime, a bit of tipping did the job in the latter case.

Edited by RudiRatlos
typo

9 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Going on preziosa. Can’t seem to work out what the speciality restaurants are and where to find sample menus. 

we have kids in the cabin, so are the Pullman or the sofa bed made up every night or just left out? Or can we put them away for more space if they don’t. 

are there any cabins or decks to avoid staying on? 

is there freedom dining or only the sittings 6.30 and 8.30? 

we are a family of 4 with kids and don’t really want to sit and annoy others. Will they give us a 4 table or will we be sat with others? 

we are going to Rotterdam, Hamburg, Cherbourg, La harves and zeebruge. Are any of these tenders? 

Can you still get free tap water? I don’t drink much. 

Do you all have to have the same drinks package? Or can I just buy for the kids etc? I don’t do alcohol. 

im sure there are many more

You booked.   I answered your initial query on the P&O thread.

All your ports are dockside.    

Water is available all the time in the buffet, along with ice.   At breakfast in the buffet, orange / pineapple / grapefruit and some strange tropical stuff called ACE is also available.

This "ACE" drink is quite common in germany and maybe some other european countries. ACE means enriched with (pro)vitamines A, C and E.

Not half as healthy as it sounds, consisting mostly of water, sugar, some amount of real fruit juice (usually orange and carrots), artificial colouring and flavour.

Same with the other juices available for free at the buffet, which are actually water-based drinks containing fruit juice (won't expect more than 50%), water, sugar, colouring and flavour.

After trying these once on Splendida some years ago (I would be really surprised if they changed for better meanwhile) we were very happy with our drink package (included with aurea, the older ones may remember...) and had the waiters bring us each 2 cups of cappucino and 2 glasses of orange juice (used to be freshly squeezed in that good old times...) every morning.

• Like 1