San Pedro Best Western Closed Permantly

PacnGoNow

The County of Los Angeles and Volunteers of America are in the process of purchasing the Best Western Hotel on Gaffey Street, with the intention of turning it into temporary housing for homeless veterans. It will be purchased using funds from Project Homekey 2, a program that houses homeless people in hotels.

It will have 60 rooms, and the county and Volunteers of America are paying $22,224,000 for it.

Advertisement

“That is the cost of purchasing the property, renovations needed to make the building suitable for interim housing, and additional funding to operate the site,” said Liz Odendahl, communications director for Supervisor Janice Hahn, in an email. “These costs are in line with costs for similar projects around the state.”

Volunteers of America will own the property, even though it is purchasing the building with county funds. Odendahl said the organization is required to utilize it for the county’s intended purposes.

Hahn said that Volunteers of America has a great track record with working with homeless veterans.

“The County will have a contract with VOA so that we can provide oversight and make sure this is a great project that helps the veterans who will live there and works hand in hand with the San Pedro community,” Hahn said via email.

I had this Hotel booked through Hotels dot com for July 10th & was checking to see if the price had gone down. It wasn’t showing & I checked the other booking sites & when I entered my dates it would just say Unavailable. I then tried on their website & same thing. I entered all kinds of dates & Unavailable for every date. Finally googled if it was closed & that’s how I found out! No notice at all. Glad I checked!

• Like 1