Transportation from Reykjavik Airport (KEF) to Reykjavik

czrunner

We will be on a Viking cruise from Iceland to Norway next month, starting July 18, 2022.  The pre-excursion in Reykjavik has been shown as sold out for a long time, so I suspect that it is either limited to very few people or is not offered at all.  Consequently, we and several others are staying in Reykjavik for a couple of days on our own, unfortunately in different hotels.  If you have been to Reykjavik, what is your experience with shuttles from the airport to Reykjavik?  Currently I am trying to decide between the Flybus and Grayline, unless there is another better option.  We will be staying two nights at Eric the Red Guesthouse, and I would request to be dropped of at the nearby bus stop #8.  Is anybody familiar with Eric the Red Guesthouse?  I asked for an input on our roll call, but I think this site has a wider audience.

I also wonder if we can get by with running shoes with good traction (supplemented by hiking poles) on the cruise.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

In my experience, Reykjavik Excursions Flybus is excellent service. On our last trip to Iceland, they took us from Keflavik airport to BSI and then shuttled us to a bus stop close to our hotel.

As for footwear, it depends what you plan to get up to - but in Iceland, I believe my hiking boots/shoes are my friend.

• Like 1

I brought my Keene hiking boots and Rebok sneakers.  Neither are completely waterproof so i figured if one got pair really wet then i would have dry shoes for the next day.  It depends on what you do.  I was glad to have hiking boots for the Djandi waterfall hike and some of the walks on the Northern Treasures excursion.  Hiking boots were the shoes of choice with locals and most non Viking visitors.

8 hours ago, czrunner said:

Thanks for the fast response.  Did you reserve the Flybus ahead of time?  If so, how much time did you give yourself after landing? 

The last time I went - it was done as an add-on to an Icelandair package. We were on a Flybus about 15 minutes after we exited the airport. The trip I was supposed to go on this month (canceled), I booked it off Reykjavik Excursions for my bus ride TO the airport after a planned self post-extension so that you can narrow down to the specific time you want to be picked up.

However, FROM the airport to the city, I I believe there is no set schedule and you just jump on the next Flybus that pulls up (I think the web-site has more info than that).

If you get in to Reykjavik before the time you can check in to your hotel - the hotels are very cooperative on you leaving your bags and you can go off and do stuff.

• Like 1