Favourite martini

sunlover33

2 hours ago, markeb said:

Just freeze the gin. And mix it in the glass. That's what they do at Duke's. Where Fleming had his martinis...

i-bz2hGJZ-X2.jpg

I've read a couple of (probably urban legend) stories that shaking would slightly dilute the martini, which would make it minimally less potent for an assassin...

(Shaking also theoretically chills it faster, which might be important if you don't have much time until your next hit. Not horribly relevant to most people who don't carry a double O designation...)

Shaking is pretty much for show these day. 

If you were to look in my freezer right now you would find a bottle of Belvedere!  

Elvis

6 hours ago, zitsky said:

My favorite martini is a dry Belvedere martini, with olives, not dirty.  

You, my friend, are welcome in my house anytime!  Now the "big" question: do you also smoke cigars?

Elvis

8 hours ago, Elvis1209 said:

If you were to look in my freezer right now you would find a bottle of Belvedere!  

Elvis

So because of the alcohol it won’t freeze then?  And won’t leak either?

8 hours ago, Elvis1209 said:

You, my friend, are welcome in my house anytime!  Now the "big" question: do you also smoke cigars?

Elvis

I smoked marijuana once.  In college.  For about five minutes.  No cigars.  Had something as a kid like asthma or bronchitis.  So I always thought I should avoid smoking.  I drink scotch though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

So because of the alcohol it won’t freeze then?  And won’t leak either?

Correct. Apparently it's around 50 proof (25% alcohol) but I've also seen 64 (32%); vodka is going to be 40% or more. It won't freeze in a conventional freezer. The freezing point of 80 proof vodka is around -16 degrees F. You supposedly can get it to freeze in a lab freezer. 

Never had a problem with gin freezing or leaking. Super chilling gin and vodka is apparently a fairly common bar thing. Although Grey Goose says their residual aromatics (gives the flavor of a supposedly flavorless liquor) are best served at 32-39F. Which pretty much no one does.

I like straight out of the freezer. No ice/no dilution...

3 hours ago, markeb said:

Correct. Apparently it's around 50 proof (25% alcohol) but I've also seen 64 (32%); vodka is going to be 40% or more. It won't freeze in a conventional freezer. The freezing point of 80 proof vodka is around -16 degrees F. You supposedly can get it to freeze in a lab freezer. 

Never had a problem with gin freezing or leaking. Super chilling gin and vodka is apparently a fairly common bar thing. Although Grey Goose says their residual aromatics (gives the flavor of a supposedly flavorless liquor) are best served at 32-39F. Which pretty much no one does.

I like straight out of the freezer. No ice/no dilution...

Maybe I should do this with my scotch.  I like it with a little ice.

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

Maybe I should do this with my scotch.  I like it with a little ice.

Not recommended. The flavor of your brown liquors is dependent on all those volatile aromatics that freeze out. The 'net can be full of useless trivial facts. Although I probably knew that one instinctively.

35 minutes ago, markeb said:

Not recommended. The flavor of your brown liquors is dependent on all those volatile aromatics that freeze out. The 'net can be full of useless trivial facts. Although I probably knew that one instinctively.

Ok.  I’ll stick with one or two ice cubes.  Like right now.  Thanks for the advice.

On 2/5/2024 at 12:07 AM, Elvis1209 said:

Tell that to James Bond!!!!

Elvis

It is one case in which 007 is incorrect. A seasoned bartender would tell you that shaking it bruises the alcohol so it should be stirred. None the less, I always order it that way and then watch my wife roll her eyes. 

10 hours ago, Thud007 said:

It is one case in which 007 is incorrect. A seasoned bartender would tell you that shaking it bruises the alcohol so it should be stirred. None the less, I always order it that way and then watch my wife roll her eyes. 

Did you just make that up?

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Did you just make that up?

No, they didn't. The theory is shaking gin, or brown liquors in general, alters the flavor notes and complexity. I've seen people describe it like you'd describe a perfume or cologne. Most of flavor in gin are "top notes" that dissipate quickly. Shaking speeds that up, and can have some interesting dilution effects. One explanation of why someone with a Double-O number might want their martinis shaken. Shaken gin martinis tend to have a little less flavor, and some interesting dilution effects. The whole effect is known as bruising. Don't know why. Could also be true of vodka with subtle flavor notes, but I've never heard anyone discuss the phenomenon with vodka. Over shaking a crazy expensive Monkey 47 might turn it into Beefeaters...

Fun trivial read if you're at all inclined:  https://talesofthecocktail.org/techniques/scientific-argument-never-shaking-your-gin/

Gin martini, 50/50, splash olive brine, shake the snot out of it and garish with olives (50/50 means equal parts dry vermouth and spirit)

Edit: someone complaining about bruising gin is like someone complaining about putting ice in scotch. Somebody is gonna tell you off but you can ignore it. The oils of a dirty martini will float on top like a split vinigarette if you don't shake it.

Edited by AllHandsAstern
Added