Extra OBC?

Cuthbertz

9 minutes ago, zap99 said:

By doing it this way and then rubbing their customer noses in it by sending them emails extolling the merits of this super offer has alienated at least one previously loyal customer, who has learnt his lesson. We will make the most of our October Cruise. 

What will you do when your new cruise line does something similar?

20 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Not really incompetence Zap, as wowzz says it has been standard practise for years. 

Once a cruise line knows exactly how many customers have paid their final balance, they can quickly determine what level of incentives are needed to try and achieve the optimum number of passengers.

I imagine this happens all the time, in fact many US  lines make much more substantial discounts than these. Of course they do end up giving similar reductions to some existing bookings, but only the savvy ones who frequent these sort of forums. Which we all know is a very small percentage of total cruise passengers.

And as I have asked, what about those cruises in 2024 where a final balance payment is a long way off?

Just now, terrierjohn said:

What will you do when your new cruise line does something similar?

I don't have a ' new cruise line '. This year we are cruising on X ,RC and P&O. We use NCL as well. I have been supportive of P&O all the way through this pandemic. I will probably book something with P&O in the future, but as we are not too fussy about the location of the cabin, will book after final payment date and after a good look at the alternatives. Next year they will be a long way down the pecking order.

47 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Again, I just think that the extra obc is just a variation of fluid pricing,  but because obc is being used, P&O can offer £460 which obviously seems more attractive than lowering the cruise cost by £200.  The nett cost to P&O is the same.

But the major sticking point for me is the majority, if not all the other cruises have had a price increase then the extra OBC added but the cruise in question is the same price, but is now offered with low deposit and a ton of extra OBC. With the fluid pricing it all came to about the same cost in the end, for example, cruise goes up by £200 but and extra £200 OBC total to the customer is the same but not in this case.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, zap99 said:

By doing it this way and then rubbing their customer noses in it by sending them emails extolling the merits of this super offer has alienated at least one previously loyal customer, who has learnt his lesson. We will make the most of our October Cruise. 

Make that 3 previously loyal customers and my son is not impressed either and it is only his 2nd cruise, P&O not even keeping new customers let alone old ones

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bbtablet said:

I hope you will not be offended if I just point out that it is the camel's back that is broken by the final straw, not the straw itself.

I know - I'm a pedant and just can't stop myself!

Also not wishing to be pedantic, MX-drew didn't mention any form of dromedary. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

And as I have asked, what about those cruises in 2024 where a final balance payment is a long way off?

Are they offering an extra £660 OBC  for these as well?

Not much good to us anyway, we struggled to spend our £370 on our last cruise.

9 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Also not wishing to be pedantic, MX-drew didn't mention any form of dromedary. 

I've got the hump now - at least that is fewer than two.

Edited by bbtablet
  • Haha 6

19 hours ago, bee-ess said:

Had this offer by email today - Cannot see how they are making much out of this

image.thumb.png.31918e8e93fce16b587bea24c23da8c0.png

It depends on how much they decide to charge once people are onboard for drinks, trips etc. one way or another they need to make a profit I suppose.

It will be interesting to see if bar prices go up.

32 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Are they offering an extra £660 OBC  for these as well?

Not much good to us anyway, we struggled to spend our £370 on our last cruise.

On a 14 night cruise from Southampton on Arvia it is an extra £460 making a total of £580.

I've been given extra £150 OBC credit for October.  My Britannia December 2022 trip has currently same pricing and I have £480 OBC from a previous offer.  My Arvia December 2023 booking has gone up £100 but I cannot see current OBC - we have £500 on booking.

I seem therefore unaffected but I do of course sail at Christmas every year so any OBC was a nice gift when we booked. My October payment date is imminent the day after I return to UK. They are chasing me daily for that!

Cannot currently see pricing as in EU waters so its call to book.  My