Dinner Packages - Advantages/Disadvantages

So, in cancelling my single reservation for Eden in hopes of rebooking it at a 9% discount, as now advertised on the website, I neglected to read the fine print and notice that they are now charging an 18% gratuity on all specialty restaurant reservations. That was my mistake...although disappointing.

So I am now considering a 3 night package for my 12 night cruise. It appears that you can/must reserve dinner for the first night on board but my question is how challenging will it be to reserve the other nights? Will we be stuck with undesirable times and limited to restaurant choice?

I'm interested to hear others' experiences with the dinner packages.

Thank you in advance!

You do not have to book for the 1st night, but the antiquated IT system requires a 1st night reservation in order to process the transaction.  
As soon as you board go to 1 of the tables booking dining reservations or to 1 of the specialty restaurants to book all 3 nights.

YMMV  but,  We had a 3 night package and boarded Edge at noon.  The we had a choice of days for Fine Cut but earliest time was 9:30.  MaitreD waitlisted us for a earlier time and we eventually got 9.  Eden was not a priority for us but again only a few late times so we passed. We did Roof Top Grill twice.  

Recently we booked Eden long before our Apex sailing and when we got on board there we no openings.  Saw many suite guests in the Retreat Lounge asking the Concierge if he could get them a reservation in Eden- he could not.

We are sailing on the Beyond in October and booked Eden back in March. A check of the CP shows 6:30 available on 1st and last night.  Other nights are all 9:30 with 2 nights having 8:30 ( we are on 12 N sailing)