Return to service of the Wind, Athens to Lisbon

wren2

As Silver Wind was the first Silversea ship I sailed on many years ago, I was looking forward to its return to service on an Expedition Cruise. An additional attraction was a one night stay at the Grande Bretagne. Pier side testing in Athens was efficient and I was glad to see that Silversea were still offering this service. Then it was downhill. The ac was over frigid and I found by putting the setting to heat that achieved the cool I desired. I had a longish wait for hot water and the ceiling creaked so much the carpenter put wedges between the ceiling and the coving/cornice to stop the noise. The young butler, who had never sailed with Silversea before had been given 13 suites to manage. I requested a change and got a very experienced Indian butler.  Thank goodness. The biggest let down was the food in the main dining room - first time in 26 years I had to send food back! Silversea standards had slipped and I had a standing joke with the restaurant manager that he would hide the salt from the chef. The food did improve a bit during the second week. I had an overall impression that as the Wind was the last ship to return to service, the better trained staff were on the other ships. The last straw was when I checked with reception, I was told that I had no  transfer included from the hotel to the airport. Returned to my suite, checked MySilversea and the transfer showed.  Called back to reception and was told I had to bring my IPad to the desk to show them! They did not believe me.

All the above info I sent to Senior Management almost three weeks ago. No reply.  I resent my email and still have not received the courtesy of a reply. This would never have happened in the Silversea I knew.

I really hope that Silversea continue their pier side testing as covid is now on the rise. As passengers have different lengths of travel times, it would really help if they knew Silversea was still offering pier side tests, even at a charge. It would give everyone great peace of mind rather than seeking out a test in a foreign port.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Sorry to hear of your issues @wren2. Did you eventually get your transfer? The London office is seriously short of staff at present and even simple requests are taking over a month to sort out, and that’s after multiple reminders. It’s not helped by the regular flight cancellations but this has been ongoing now for over 3 months. IMHO senior management doesn’t give a damm.

Sorry to hear of your problems wren and hope you get resolution.

I see you must have been in Greek waters about a month ago and would be interested to hear of the covid protocols. We boarded Spirit yesterday in Venice and hit Greek waters in a few days time. Upon boarding we received a letter on Covid protocols from the captain stating that Greek authorities require mask wearing on the ship at all times when in Greek waters either indoors or outside.

This is the first I have heard of such a ruling and I bumped into the cruise director who knew nothing and told me and the situation was the same as in all other waters.

Your comments would be appreciated.

We certainly did not have to wear masks outside on the ship but from choice I used to wear a mask in the Venetian lounge. or in the elevator. Mask wearing did not seem to be enforced in the Grande Bretagne. However, covid is on the increase in Greece as it is in the U.K., so rules can change any time.  I have a very good friend in Athens who fears that mask wearing in the streets might be reimposed. I think the rules on board will reflect the edicts of the Greek authorities.

• Like 1

In reply to Silver Spectre, yes I did get my transfer.  I had it in writing on my iPad. Nowadays with Silversea you need written proof. In fact the receptionist took my iPad off me to show to her boss before they would include the transfer.

• Like 1

Good Morning Silver Spectre - You are so right about The London Office and its lack of any real Customer Service. Unfortunately I feel you are being over generous in your reasons for ineptitude because in my humble opinion their swiftness of reaction to any request has been abysmal for Years,

I agree that the current Flight situation and WFH is adding to the issue but share your view that Senior Management show complete disdain. I would say that it takes at least 4 chasers and many weeks for either my Agent or myself ( sometimes both ) to get any meaningful response to even the most basic query.

In my experience over many Years, one gets on board a Ship exhausted and if it was not for the superb Service by the Onboard Staff we would have ditched Silversea many Years ago - If this element falls short ( as has been recorded by some Guests recently ) our Silversea Days are coming to an end.

It is all most unfortunate as the reality bears little comparison to Barbara Muckermans vision of a Seamless Luxury Experience.

@wren2We had similar problems with SS on our last cruise except it was the "included in country flight". Also brought documentation to reception desk. It was an unnecessary 6 day battle which eventually got sorted. Others were not so fortunate and were duped into paying for the "included" flights themselves. Word to all future travelers - Tripple check all docs. Along with your TA, be an aggressive advocate for yourself early and often.