Recent experience with Princess Luggage Valet (Luggage Forward) ?

We have an upcoming B2B totaling 34 days.  We leave from Florida and fly to London.  I tried to convince DW we could manage with one carry-on each.  How many vacations have we been on where unpacking our luggage after travel revealed many (of her) unused clothes?

As you might imagine, that did not go over well !!

In her defense, the weather will be much cooler than the tropical weather we are used to, and we will need to bring heavier clothing for both of these cruises.  And she reminded me that I would not want to incur the wrath of the CC community by showing up at the MDR in shorts!  😉 

(FYI, I would not do that).

But maybe, I mused, we could simply do laundry on the ship.  Strike two for me!

Our email from Princess yesterday advertised the Princess Luggage Valet (and reminded us to sign up for specialty dining, spa appointments, etc., etc.)   Clicking the PLV  link leads directly to the "Luggage Forward" website.

So now I have a new idea.  Send one or two of our big bags directly from our home to our cabin on the ship.  Then, we CAN board the aircraft with only a carry-on each and a personal item.  That would certainly remove the uncertainty about locating a checked bag at the destination airport in these tumultuous times.

Potential concern - will our bags show up on the ship as advertised?

Any recent experience would be appreciated!

Thank you.

• Like 1

Thanks.  We are not as concerned with the return and will take luggage by ourselves.  If it gets home later than expected, no biggie.

But, we wanted to make sure our clothes arrive in a timely fashion (before the ship sails!)

if we decided to send the luggage on the outbound journey.

👍

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

We are also thinking about luggage forward for embarkation. I'm considering using them to pick up our luggage at our home and transport it to cruise ship at Amsterdam port. I am also wondering about other cruisers experience with this.

Have you looked at the costs? It is not inexpensive. Tampa to London starts at $189.

Also be aware there may be some items that are not allowed to be in the luggage they transport, mainly due to customs requirements.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, caribill said:

Also be aware there may be some items that are not allowed to be in the luggage they transport, mainly due to customs requirements.

Yes, we did this several years ago. The only thing allowed was clothing, and yes, it is a customs thing. We also had to include a complete list of items in the suitcase along with the cost for each item. 

• Thanks 1

In May on the Crown Princess (Seattle) I used the service that Princess was advertising to get our luggage from the ship to our home airport at not cost, it was called 'Port Valet'.  Princess pushed it on the ship and it sounded good to me (no cost, no bother) so I decided to use it.  My take away is that it was a DISASTER.  The airlines blamed Princess and of course Princess blamed both the system and the airline.  As it turned out, IT WAS ALL PRINCESS FAULT.  I will never again use any luggage service where Princess is involved in any way.  I will carry my luggage on the ship and be a 'walk off' taking my own luggage. It is a hassle, but I know I have my luggage.

• Thanks 2

Services such as this just make me nervous!  We've been stuck at a foreign airport without our luggage and it's no fun.  I realize this is a bit different from a luggage forwarding situation but ever since that happened to us I much prefer to be "in control" (as much as this is possible these days!) of my bags and airline reservations. (I don't do cruise air packages, either.)  I know many people have used something like this successfully...and I applaud them for being brave!  I'll continue to schlep my own bags...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruising deacon said:

In May on the Crown Princess (Seattle) I used the service that Princess was advertising to get our luggage from the ship to our home airport at not cost, it was called 'Port Valet'.  Princess pushed it on the ship and it sounded good to me (no cost, no bother) so I decided to use it.  My take away is that it was a DISASTER.  The airlines blamed Princess and of course Princess blamed both the system and the airline.  As it turned out, IT WAS ALL PRINCESS FAULT.  I will never again use any luggage service where Princess is involved in any way.  I will carry my luggage on the ship and be a 'walk off' taking my own luggage. It is a hassle, but I know I have my luggage.

The program you are referring to is different than the one the OP is asking about.

The one you used in Seattle is sponsored and run by the Port of Seattle. Princess is supposed to give your luggage to the port people and they are supposed to deliver it to the airline at the airport.

• Like 1