Comments on Princess Cays Clamshells/Carnival Freedom Cruise

Batman5924

We just got back from a cruise on the Freedom.  I probably put this post in the wrong spot but most people that cruise with carnival in the Bahamas end up at Princess Cays.  In March, we got off the ship and just walked over to the clamshell hut and rented one with no problems.  We planned to do the same with the cruise we just got off.  We were on the fist tender coming over.  We are morning people and platinum/diamond have priority to shore.  So we were like, why not.  We figured we could snorkel around the beach before every got there.

At the clamshell hut on the beach, the worker said all clamshells were sold out.  160 clamshells.  If you are planning on trying to get one, make sure you preorder through shore excursions.  We ended sitting under one the many huts dotting the beach.  Below is a random picture of one of the huts.94D196D7-599B-44C3-9519-C539D94B7658.thumb.webp.bb6ef2ec5439a2ae1968c0e02385792d.webp

It actually worked just fine.

When this all happened we were 2 of probably 20 people that were there.  We saw a couple try to set up a clamshell.  A worker came over and said where is your ticket.  They said they were about to rent it.  We informed them were all sold out.  Next thing I see is the worker and tourist walking out of my view, making some kind of transaction, and they ended up staying there.  Money talks.

By 11:30 the beach was packed.  C.D. Said there were 3, 265 on the Freedom.  A woman on the beach who had just gotten there was losing her mind on a poor waiter just trying to serve drinks.  She says “ I have been walking up and down this beach for a half hour and I can’t find a single clamshell and I have a ticket.  I want a refund now!”

In my opinion, they do need people when you get off the tender explaining that there are 2 sides to the beach and the clamshells may be all gone on the larger side.  In Carnival’s defense, it does say first come, first serve.  Still, a little more help when get off should be offered.

When we leaving on the tender, we did see about 10 clamshells not open on the less popular side.  Also, one of the funnier moments was when a grandma showed up with her grandson and a ticket for a clamshell.  The worker was starting to open it (3rd row of clamshells) and she says please move it as close to the water as possible.  People, the clamshells don’t get moved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been on royal 3 times. They are good, but carnival stands out in two ways.  The pool atmosphere just feels like a hub of activity throughout the cruise.  If you’ve done both you know what I mean.

secondly, wait staff service.  Wherever I sit on a Carnival ship, weather it is by a pool or in the theater, someone is asking me what I want to drink. No lie.

6 hours ago, Batman5924 said:

The ship was great.  I never once thought about the funnel and the layout is amazing.  The conquest class ships are very functional.

Just chiming in to say I love the Conquest ships and find them extremely functional as well -- I think the layout lends to better, quicker service. I love the Valor.

Edited by keels81