Picnic Lunch

auie2

Most fresh foods can't be taken ashore, only prepackaged items, so the ship won't be able make a picnic for you. Best option is to get something once ashore. And eat it all because you can't bring it back on board with you either. 

@julig22

... although they don't check your bags.

I have been to a number of ports where there have been "sniffer" dogs on the lookout for food.

@auie2

We have all seen people who were proud to have "beaten the system" and taken food off the ship.   However I have seen the same people having to explain why they did when the dog smelled out their hoard.   And then pay the fine!!!

• Like 4

When we sailed on Seadream, we brought a soft sided bag.   For our excursion to Pompeii, the ship filled with wine, beer, sodas, cracker, cheese, fruit, sandwiches.   Needless to say we were the hit of our bus ride to Pompeii.   

I know that wouldn't happen on a larger ship.  But, hey, enjoying the local eats is always fun!  We cannot wait for our 10 day cruise coming up 8/23 on NCL!

In most Caribbean countries it's not permitted to bring any food off the ship. 

As for checking, I've seen occasional random searches with sniffer dogs in Cozumel, Roatan and Barbados. A few times in Cozumel their officials had everyone open their bags as they exited the pier.

You're probably better off supporting the local economy and getting some local food from a grocery or restaurant once on land. 

• Like 1