A Journey to the Last Frontier: Serenade of the Seas Alaskan Itinerary Review

A. Color Commentary

There was not a morn where I did not awaken to the clouds floating around the ship, like a blanket of soft snow whirling to the beat of the iron ship’s engines.  If the balcony were open the sounds of the wake rolling off its aft could be discerned from the whistling of the wind along our starboard side, with the intermittent bellow of the ship’s horn howling into the morning air warning of its coming.

The ship itself is still, not even the music of the centrum could be heard beyond the steel doors of our nautical encampment. This is how I was met most mornings. What is 4 to Alaska is 7 or 8 to my eastern timepiece.  There was no canine to leash or nourish, but I was still thrust from the land of the sandman by the tick tock of my mind.

My beautiful bride lay in the world of dreams by my side, so I crept like a mouse around the room so as not to disrupt her slumber.  I dare not light the incandescent near my bed for fear of waking her, so my only solace was the television across the room.  I had quickly learned how to power up the machine while reducing the decibels to nil.  On these many mornings I was kept company by the knowledge of the ship’s path and data of its sailing.  I remained with my newfound friend sometimes for an hour, sometimes a little more, until I rose to change my attire and challenge my body and mind in the battleground above.

B. Wake Up

Throughout the entire cruise I (my body) stayed on Eastern Time.  I am used to waking up early to walk the dog and then head out to exercise, so many times around 4 AM, I was wide away. Unfortunately, the sun was not also awake on most days so was unable to watch the sunrise (usually at the 4:15 or 5:15 hour, depending on our location.

Waking early did mean that every day was a long day for me.  If I stayed up to watch a show, which was usually over around 10 PM, meant an 18-hour day. Luckily, there were some days I was able to catch a few Z’s during a late morning or afternoon nap!

Because of the unseasonably high temperature, it has caused what is known as Maritime Low Cover Clouds to appear. Most mornings when I looked out the balcony doors I was met with the sight of clouds – no ocean, no shore, no mightily mountain’s majesty. Depending on the day, it took a few hours until these clouds were finally burnt off (although many times not completely). Although we did not see much of the inside passage going north, we did get a great glimpse of its beauty on the return trip. It also did not besmirch our views within the ports or even of the pair of glaciers the ship visited – and the low-hanging clouds around Sawyer and Tracy Arm made for some spectacular pictures.

C. Watch the Ship Map

My DW had no issues remaining asleep and knowing my usual routine on cruises had forewarned me more than once to not awaken her.   I crept quietly around the room when I needed a glass of water or to use the facilities.  There is a reading light next to the bed which I did make use of on occasion, but I also got into the habit of putting the TV onto the ship’s station (Channel 3) which provided the location of our vessel, a view looking forward, and some ship information such as depth of the water, how far we have travelled, and the temperature. Most importantly, it provided the ships/local time to ensure that my watch, cell phone were all in synch.  Every few minutes I would look back at the screen (even though not much was really changing.

The closed captioning feature did not work or I may have watched one of the other stations, although if it was semi-clear outside, I may turn on Channel 24, which provided a few forward from the bridge (looking out at and beyond the helipad; there were some cloud-filled mornings where even the helipad was not even visible). [Tip: Channel 24 can be used as a night light – although I find it too bright.]

Unfortunately, my Kindle of many years (original first-generation that I have refused to get rid of) said it’s final goodbye in the hotel room in Montreal. Of all the times to finally fail, did it have to be at the onset of a cruise?  It had been a faithful companion for many years and hundreds of books taking me throughout history, throughout the world, and beyond into space and time. Although it is an inanimate object, it shall be missed. All the R&R reading I was going to do on this cruise has instantly puttered out, which left me studying the details of the Compass each morning. Although I know of the library aboard ship, I never made my way to borrow any books. [Tip: there is a free borrowing library aboard the ship, although I have heard it is not very large, but it is an option if you would like something to read.]

D. Morning Java

Some of you may remember when there was complimentary food available on cruises 24/7.  That is no longer the case on all ships – and on the Serenade, food cannot be found from around 1 AM to 6 AM (when Park Café opens).  However, at 4 AM, when I had awakened, I was hungry (it’s 7 or 8 AM back home, and I would have already long finished my breakfast). I would sneak snacks or fruit (banana if I could find it) back to my room so that I had at least something to much; especially if I was going to exercise.

[Food for thought: Is coffee a bean or a nut?  Although many believe it to be a bean, it is not. In fact it is not a nut either. It is the seed of the coffee plant.]

However, if you wanted coffee, tea, or water (hot or cold), it was available 24/7 just outside the Windjammer. Even at 5 AM there were others besides myself either getting a cup (probably others from out East or Europe that are on different time tables), or sitting in the one of the nearby tables. HOWEVER, as I mentioned the coffee is not great, and it could come with a lot of extra coffee grains (see photo) which I did not notice until I was at the bottom of the cup. 

There are 24/7 options on other RCI ships (e.g., Sorrento’s), but not on the Serenade. To tell you the truth, one of my favorite things about NCL is O’Sheehans; open 24/7 with good food (especially the Thai Chili Wings).

Edited by Travel R

Photos:

• Alaskan sunrises (You will notice the haze in the morning air due to the low marine cloud cover - especially in the photos taken earlier in the voyage)
  • Photo of ship info screen on TV
  • Cup of Mud from the coffee machine outside the Windjammer in the early morning
  • A cloudy morning on deck where you could not see much beyond the confines of the ship after I took a little run onboard (it was windy, wet, and cold)

P1030880.JPG

P1040411.JPG

P1040656.JPG

Edited by Travel R
  • Like 1

Photo retrospect for the pre-cruise posts . . . .

View of Manhattan from the George Washington Bridge

Mural of NYC at the Newark Airport

Montreal Sign at the Montreal Airport

Early morning sunrise in Montreal

Photo of Montreal Canadian hockey team mural @ Montreal airport

The Beatles on my airplane monitor

P1030717.JPG

P1030722.JPG

P1030739.JPG

P1030746.JPG

P1030748.JPG

P1030758.JPG

• Like 1

• Canadian Rockies from 30,000 feet
  • Vancouver suburbia (taken from bus)
  • Queues at Canadian Place
  • Photo of the Centrum (inside Serenade) - our first look while going to the Windjammer.
  • Welcome sign for the Serenade of the Seas - this was on the big screen (taken from the elevator)
  • Having lunch at the Windjammer in the Aft overlooking Vancouver [Note - I am prohibited from showing the faces of my family, so any pics I have taken of them have been altered by blurring or blocking out their heads or faces.]

P1030769.JPG

P1030776.JPG

P1030782.JPG

P1030783.JPG

P1030784.JPG

outsidewj2.jpg

Edited by Travel R
  • Like 1

More photos from that first afternoon:

• View of the Lido Deck on that first afternoon (it was a beautiful day and people were in the pool)
  • Various photos of Vancouver and the beginning of the Inside Passage while we were sailing north to our first destination. The bridge, I believe, is the Lion's Gate Bridge.
  • Royal Caribbean ships are know for having artwork throughout their ships.  This shovel was in a case and considered artwork - it was along the side of one of the staircases.  To some it may be art, but I do not get it.

P1030789.JPG

P1030792.JPG

P1030794.JPG

P1030800.JPG

P1030810.JPG

P1030811.JPG

Edited by Travel R
  • Like 1

just so you are not the only one with crazy precruise stress - my hand has still been causing me pain so i managed to get squeezed in to see my surgeon today and lucky me, i now need another surgery. So surgery tomorrow at 1pm and as of now still good to fly Friday at 12pm. Debating cancelling, just not sure what to do. And not sure what $ i can get back if i did. on the other hand maybe i need a week of meals, room service. great scenery and mediocre entertainment.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, familycruzinnewbie said:

just so you are not the only one with crazy precruise stress - my hand has still been causing me pain so i managed to get squeezed in to see my surgeon today and lucky me, i now need another surgery. So surgery tomorrow at 1pm and as of now still good to fly Friday at 12pm. Debating cancelling, just not sure what to do. And not sure what $ i can get back if i did. on the other hand maybe i need a week of meals, room service. great scenery and mediocre entertainment.

After all the bad breaks, you need this cruise.

The travel may be a hassle, but a week of not having to cook or clean and be forced to view some of the most beautiful scenery in the world may just be the prescription you need to help mend both the body and mind.

Good luck on your surgery today and your Covid test.

If you have the time, let us know how it goes.  If not, have a wonderful time on your Alaskan adventure.  Sorry I did not finish my review before you sailed, but if you have any last minute questions, please feel free to ask.

• Like 1

A. Color Commentary

When the fire burns, I cannot sit idle. The sea air brings a renewed vitality to my muscles, and I must let loose the energy contained within.  Each morning brings with it new opportunities, and each opportunity allows my body to grow stronger. To grow faster. To be healthier.

On the earliest morning of the journey my path led to the high trail, circling around the monstrous fortress on the seas. Visibility was low as I rushed through the soupy fog upon the waters with the wind both hastening and abating my progress. On the break of other days I was led into the area where I took saddle upon the mighty machines, or paced myself upon their rotating trails; while I gave my full efforts, I did not move beyond where I started.

At the conclusion of each effort’s completion I withdrew invigorated and ready to meet the day.

B. Exercise: Running Track and Fitness Center

If you had accompanied me on my 99 Day Journey, I had revealed that this past year included a few tormentous events, including the loss of both my parents.  To honor the memory of my father, an avid cyclist, I organized a charity bike ride – a 120-mile trek from Brooklyn, NY to Montauk Point, NY (Long Island). [Note: I am still looking for team members to ride with us or ride at home virtually; please let me know if you are interested.] Although I have always jogged on past vacations/cruises, I made it a point not to skip any days while on vacation in order to ensure that I would be ready when it came time to ride at the beginning of September. The only other event I am signed up for is a 5K, 10K, and Half Marathon (on three consecutive days), but that is not until next February, so I still have a lot of time to prepare.

Although I like to run on the ship’s track, many of the mornings it was too cold, too windy, or too wet, so I took my activities indoors. There was usually a low cloud cover many mornings and you could not see beyond 10-12 feet (see photo in a prior post), so the enjoyment of viewing some beautiful surroundings while I ran was severely stifled.  The exercise room on the Serenade is rather large, and astonishingly, it was very, very shinny and clean (Ion a prior cruise (NCL) I believe I got sick from using their equipment (that was not cleaned properly) in the fitness center). The Center opened at 6 AM each day, which was very convenient (I could finish sweating by 7, shower, and be ready for breakfast by 8, when the MDR opened).

Because of the conditions on deck in the mornings, I mostly used the stationary bicycle and the treadmill during the week; however, I was running the treadmill more often since it faced outward towards the sea and land.  Since aerobics is currently my priority, I did not pump any iron (free-weight or machine). 

My one complaint was that the gym included only two upright bicycles (besides the ones only used for the spinning class, which were not to be used by the public). Yes, there were 3 or 4 recumbent bicycles, but they were not what I was going to use. The two bicycles also faced towards the back of the gym, which was not ideal since my back was to the windows, where there was (many times) much more to see.

[Did you know: Fitness centers are not a modern addition to cruise ships. They have been around for decades, including the cruise liners of the early 20th century. In fact, ships like the Titanic had a full gym (fitness center) that included stationary exercise bicycles.]

From 6 AM to 7 AM (or even to 7:30), the gym was mostly empty. There were a few individuals on machines or working out, and they were not all passengers – at least two I recognized as being members of the production cast (dancers). If this facility became busy those two bicycles would not have been enough, however, I did not see anyone else using them, even when I took to the treadmill. Also, there were very, very few people making use of the running track on any given morning.

[PSA: Wash down your machine and weights before and after every use with the antiseptic wipes that are all over the gym.]

Other’s may disagree with me (such as my DW), but a good morning’s exercise is a great way to invigorate yourself and begin the day.

C. Walk the Deck

I tried to exercise on whatever days I was able to. I think there were only two days (besides embarking and disembarking) that were not conducive to early morning physicality (due to early morning excursions or glacier viewings), so I stayed in bed for those few extra minutes of quiet comfort or took a quick walk up and down the stairs, or around the deck before heading to Park Café for a pre-breakfast meal.

There were also those memorable afternoons and evenings where I had the pleasure of walking the deck hand-in-hand with my beautiful DW.  It was never over-crowded, but would not have been congruous for running (too many people/obstacles). We had beautiful weather, but it was usually too cool (especially with the wind while the ship was moving) to just hang out outside.  In fact, that first day when we lounged out on the top-deck chairs was the first and only time we did so.

[Tip: Although the top deck does not get as crowded as on warmer-weather cruises, they can become overly crowded with passengers during the day slowly sauntering along admiring the scenery.  The track was almost devoid of people in the early mornings.]

D. Park Café (1st Breakfast)

In the mornings, all paths led to Park Café.

At 6 AM the coffee pot was put out and Aliana (SP?), the cheerful staff member, began preparing the morning vittles at the main food station (there were two – one with mostly hot foods, the other with cold (although you could ask to toast a bagel).

My workouts (or walks) were usually completed before 7 and the Café  would be the first spot I hit before returning to the room (where I would most likely find my DW sleeping like an angel).  Aliana was very nice and provided great service – although she was unassisted during the first two mornings (a second waitperson was present in the mornings after day 3).

There were eggs and cheese served on wraps and English muffins, as well as a large pot of oatmeal at the hot food station. Due to my allergy to cheese I asked for the muffin sandwich, and she happily obliged.  I must note that although the egg was good, I disliked the English muffin it was served upon (the bread being too dry, not very crispy, and tasted too much like leavening flour). On all subsequent mornings I limited myself to the oatmeal (a little too watery for my taste (I prefer a thicker, heartier oatmeal) but it hit the spot at 7 AM after exercising for an hour) along with a hot cup of coffee. 

If I was really hungry, I would also order a toasted bagel (definitely not NY bagels) with some lox and butter (since I cannot have cheese) – and would procure a Danish or two for my DW (she enjoyed the cinnamon Danish). The bagels were served at the “cold” station (usually plain, blueberry and a misc. third flavor each day), a few spreads, and an assortment of Danish, donuts, and pastries. There are a few Danish and Pastry selections as well as deserts available behind (to the left of) the counter of the hot station as well.

[Food for Thought:  Do you know why Danish are Called Danish?  If you guessed that it is named so due to the fact that this crusty pastry had originated in Denmark, you would be wrong . . . . . but you are close. When pastry workers went on strike in the 1850s, bakeries hired pastry chefs from Vienna to fill in for the lost workers.  These chefs brought this Austrian dish with them, where it became famous. Due to its notoriety in Denmark, the dish took on the name.]

Aside the coffee machine (regular and decaf), there was hot water and tea bags available, in addition to a dispenser with some variety of cold drink, such as orange juice, apple juice, and water.

Café Press is located within the Solarium. This venue includes chairs and tables along the sides to eat at, or you could bring your food to be consumed at one of the lounges besides the pool.

I tried the Roast Beef sandwich (called the Kummelweck), which is available during lunch on two different occasions. While the first experience was not good (meat was tough and inedible), the second I was able to chew, but not a big fan. I will discuss this in further detail later in this review when I discuss the topic of lunch food.

E. Allergies

Since I just mentioned my allergy to cheese in the prior subsection, I figured that this would be a good time to discuss the subject.

Royal Caribbean, as well as the other cruise lines I have travelled, usually take allergies very seriously.  If you have any allergies or food restrictions call their Special Accommodations program.  They will create a menu specifically for you, send you the menu, and/or one of the chefs will meet with you each evening to go over the menu for the following day – which includes the foods available that you are able to eat, or the possibility of creating something for you off menu (or modified from the current menu) to ensure you have something you can eat.  No, if you are just a picky eater, it does not apply to you.

Although I have the allergy and those on the cruise may have seen the EpiPen on my belt, I do not go this route and select foods from the regular menu. However, I will either tell the waiter of my allergy – or many times the waiter will ask before taking the order.  If you ask the servers at the WJ, they too will inform you of what allergens are in the foods in the chafing dishes.

There were only two allergy related goof-ups during this cruise.  The first was bringing a bowl of bread that included a cheese-infused bread (but the assistant did not know, and made sure to not bring that type of bread again), and a subsequent time during lunch when I ordered a sandwich without cheese and the waiter mistakenly served me a dish that had included it.  When I pointed it out to him, he apologized profusely, and even apologized again after we finished and were getting up from the table to leave. The thing about having allergies is that you always have to watch out.  [Yes, there have been other mess-ups on other cruise lines as well – but they are not often; one reason why my DW prefers RCI over NCL.]

I used to go out with a group of friends from work once a month (during the Pre-Covid Era), so they know I have this allergy.  They were amazed as to how many times I have been served dishes with cheese after letting the waitstaff know, even seeing them write “No Cheese” on their pad.  Forget about ordering from fast food places – receiving your order correctly only occurs about 50% of the time normally, receiving an item sans the cheese that normally comes on it is almost like asking for a miracle. I was in the food industry myself (on the front lines and as a chef in the back), and I do not mean to insult anyone, especially those in the fast-food industry, but this has been my experience.

Even this past week we went out to dinner with my cousin and his wife. The waitress had gone through the menu twice, both times stating that the item was sans without cheese, and you guessed it . . . I had to send it back.

Next Up . . . . Keeping Watch

Photos:

• Two pics of the runner's track on the top deck with the beauty of Alaska in the background (this was taken during a walk later in the day; if this was morning there would be far fewer people (maybe 1 or two) and they would be bundled up and usually with a coffee in their hand).
  • View of the inside of the Fitness center from atop a bicycle
  • Two views of the treadmills (or looking out the forward window from the treadmill), including one from a later morning I got to the gym where there were people out and about.

x011.thumb.JPG.0a8756f90743779df4999e124535a968.JPG

x001.JPG

x002.JPG

x008.JPG

x009.JPG

x010.JPG

• Like 2

Photos of Park Café

A few photos of the Park morning offerings (both hot and cold stations)

One photo of the Solarium Pool taken from the area of the Park Café 

x003.JPG

x004.JPG

x005.JPG

x006.JPG

x007.JPG

Edited by Travel R
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Travel R said:

Any questions or comments so far?

Does anyone know how I can place some space between the pictures? - I do not like the way they appear adjoining each other.

Hit the return button after each picture

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Hit the return button after each picture

Thank you for the suggestion.

I upload the photos using the "choose files" option (below the dialogue screen) and they all appear one-after the other.

I did not think about being able to manipulate them after they are uploaded (or think that it would be possible) - I'll take your suggestion and insert a hard return between each.

You are always a wealth of knowledge, myself and the CC community do appreciate it.

THANK YOU!

• Like 3

A. Color Commentary

As me papee used to say, “even a raging river has to eventually come to a rest.” Our bodies are a force of nature that works on the same basic principal.  We cannot go on forever, there are on and off switches, even if we cannot flick them ourselves.  Sometimes we can prolong or shorten the times our power is switched on or off using coffee, sleeping pills, or the like, our batteries will drain at some point.

After an early morning rise, and going full steam at the gym, my body too needs a rest.  I took it upon myself to do so in the mornings after warm waters wash away my salt-stained body.  Be it in bed next to my honey watching the morning show or dressed and perched upon the balcony searching for other lifeforms – I rested, I relaxed, I recharged.

B. Shower

I did not include this here to tell you that I took a shower after exercise. If I did not, those in my general vicinity throughout the remainder of the day would have known.  This is a logical place to describe the shower and bathroom (and shortly, the stateroom itself). But I will begin by stating that a nice warm (not hot) shower after exercising is a great way to settle myself into the next hour of relaxation and get ready for the day ahead.

If you have never taken a cruise or had the distinct pleasure of sailing in anything smaller than a junior suite, you may be startled by the size of the shower and bathroom. Our shower stall was about 2 ½ feet in diameter and gave little leeway if you wanted to stretch out your arms.  The water pressure is respectable and the adjustable shower head allowed for a full-body wash. 

[Did You Know: The first “modern” shower was invented in 1767 (in London).  It used a hand pump to cause the water flow.]

On past cruises and in hotels we have had soap and shampoo dispensers that were separate (and sometimes a third for conditioner), but there was one dispenser with a combined body-wash and shampoo all in one. To tell you the truth, it did not matter much to me – it got my hair and body clean.  However, my DD’s did not like it. My DD17 did bring small bottles of shampoo and conditioner with her, which they both used for a few days until it ran out. [If this of concern to you, take note and bring your own hair care items.]

The rest of the restroom was not much larger.  The toilet is small, but accessible, as is the sink (they did provide small bars of hand soap). There is ample lighting within the room and large mirrors.  [Tip: There are “hidden” shelves behind some of the mirrors, where you can store your toiletry items.]  They also supply you with a hair blower (ours was found in a draw within the stateroom – but it did not work and had to ask for a new one, which we never did receive).  There are also electric receptacles located atop the mirror.

Towels were provided on racks on the walls. A garbage pail is located under the wash basin – use it for all disposables besides toilet paper. If you clog up the toilet not only will it render a $100 fine, but it will not be a pleasant aromatic experience either for you and your cabinmates.

C. Relaxation

Once showered and changed, most days I can relax for a while until my family gets ready and we can head off for breakfast. Remember I have already had my first breakfast, so I am not starving.

If the clouds have dissipated, I would usually go out onto the balcony to enjoy the scenery and be on the lookout for marine and wildlife.  I would bring out my binoculars as well as my camera and cellphone (both of which were usually to be found by my side). To me this was relaxing times ten.

D. Balcony & Watching for Wilderness & Wildlife

After all of the hours watching and waiting, I only kind-of “saw” two whales from my balcony. The first time, I was not sure if what I saw was a whale. I viewed something in the distant water that was looked like a small island splashing, I went inside to tell my DW to come and look, but when I returned a few moments later it completely disappeared. The second time I saw the distinctive column of water being blown up into the air, but I did not see what caused it.

[Did You Know: there are eight species of whale that can be seen in Alaska: The Beluga, Blue, Bowhead, Gray, Humpback, Minke, Orca, and Right whales. The Humpback are only in Alaska during the summer months, they spend the winters vacationing down in the warm waters around Hawaii.]

I did positively see three porpoise swimming alongside the ship, and a number of birds (mostly seagulls, a few native birds, and once what may have been a hawk, but nothing I could identify as a bald eagle). Of course, there were a number of canines and their human companions spotted from time to time along the shore.

I loved our balcony stateroom (#7592) – located with its over-sized balcony in the front of a hump. Not only did the balcony provide me with a side and front view, but this stateroom was also adequately sized (which means: small, but we dealt with it). While on the balcony I preferred to sit on one chair with my feet up on another chair, and the remaining space was just as much room as the abutting balcony. Note that this deck 7 location has a partial blocked view when looking down due to the covers of the safety crafts – however, since we wanted a cabin that was close to our daughter’s we took this one (we could not get a similar arrangement on the other floors).

[Did you Know: The Monarch of the Seas was built in 1991. Only five percent of its staterooms had balconies and at that time was way ahead of its competitors).

In a perfect world, I would have reserved this cabin on a higher deck (but I have absolutely no complaints). [The safety craft cover could have obstructed my view of other marine life that may have been swimming close to the ship.] A suggestion I have for RCI is that since this balcony is so large, is that it should be equipped with a lounge chair or two – there is room for them (and still retain the existing chairs and table) – there is currently a huge waste of space on that balcony the way it is being utilized. When viewing the Sawyer Glacier, I pull out the chair from within the cabin out onto the balcony so all four of us could appreciate the wonders of nature together.

One thing I did not like about the balcony (which would be the same for every cabin on this ship) is that the height of the banister is the same height as my eyes when sitting on the provided chairs.  A daily practice included the removal of the extra pillows from under the bed and stack them onto the chair – this provided me with enough height to look over the rail/banister without issue (and provided additional cushion). I will also note that the glass for the rails is not as translucent as it may have been at the time of the ship’s christening and is showing signs of age. [FYI: the pillows are stored in a vacuum seal, so no pillows were harmed (or dirtied) during the production of our sailing.]

I know many cruisers like their afts, but as for now, I’m a hump guy. 😉

E. Our Stateroom

Isn’t it interesting how I describe the restroom first, the balcony second, and the cabin as an afterthought? I guess this can be reasoned as follows: the restroom is very important, the balcony is where I spend most of my waking time when not out and about, and the cabin is merely the place where I place my head on the pillow for the activity of slumber.

1. Size – Not that we were expecting anything very large for a balcony cabin, so we got what we had expected.  We have been in larger cabins. We have been in smaller cabins (with four people), and for the next seven days, this was large enough for the two of us (my DDs shared an inside cabin of their own a few doors down). There was a (very) short vestibule with closets you’re the left and the restroom to the left, which lead to a desk with draws on the left and a small couch/chair to the right, followed by the area of the double bed which led out to the balcony by a sliding glass door.

The size was good for us, especially since we did not spend much time within. Except for one afternoon, where I just laid out on the bed and watched a movie, or other days where I took occasional nap, we did not spend much time in the cabin itself except to shower, change, and sleep.

When “in” the cabin, you would usually find me outside on the balcony.  

2. Balcony and Bathroom (described above)

3. Noise – With the door to the cabin locked and the door to the balcony closed there was not much noise making its way into the room. The only loud noises heard was when an adjoining cabin (or from above) neighbors slammed their doors. I do not recall hearing any voices seeping through the walls or entering from outside. Although the Centrum is near, this cabin does not have a direct view/access of it, and in the wee morning hours the passage that leads out to the Centrum is closed (by a large door).

The only other noticeable noise you may hear is the occasional bellow of the foghorn if you are really trying to listen for it - but depending on conditions, it can sound every few minutes throughout the entire evening. Unfortunately, the occasional ship’s announcement was muffled and we needed to open the door to hear. This cabin is also located directly above Vintages and very near the Business Center – but you did not hear a peep from either. 

4. Light – There was ample light within the cabin in the evenings (although it did not get dark outside until very late) and the draw curtains did keep out most of the light even during the middle of the day. It was not too hard to adjust to the light during late evenings when walking around the ship. [Tip: it may get too dark, if so, bring a small light with you, or use the ship-cam on Channel 24 as a night-light, it will provide some light during the evening.]

5. Space/Storage – Most suitcases can fit under the bed, also look for little “hidden” shelves and draws throughout the room to stow your items, such as above/near the desk area.  If your suitcases are large (like ours), they fit between the wall and the bed. The safe was easy to use and came in handy.

6. Electrical Outlets – A few (not many) power receptacles could also be found around the room [I brought and used a three-prong outlet which was enough for us (the phone charger I brought had two USB ports for our phones]; If I remember correctly, there were outlets for US and International devices.]

7. Door Notification Magnets – There is a magnet on your door which will allow you to provide notification to the room steward as to whether you do not want to be disturbed or if you would like the cabin to be cleaned. So yes, if you had a magnetized clip board, it would easily attach to the door or the walls within the room.

8. Television – There is a TV in the room with a few select stations and ship information. I will discuss the TV in greater detail later in this review.

9. Phone – Although I do not remember using the phone very much on prior cruises, since my DDs were in another room it came in handy when trying to contact them. The phone is located on a night table besides to the bed. There is a second matching night table on the other side.

10. Location – The cabin’s position – midway on Deck & made it almost ideal to get to every venue.  A quick walk up or down the stairs brought us to the dining room and the venues we most regularly frequented. It was very rare that we ever used an elevator during the entire week.

11. Age – I had already mentioned the glass for the balcony railings above. In some minor ways the room/ship is additionally showing its age within, such as stains on the ceiling, marks on the doors, wear on the bathroom cabinets and mirrors, etc. – but nothing where one would really notice, unless looking for such items so they can write about in their cruise review.

I am sure there are other aspects of the stateroom I have forgotten. If so, I will detail them later in this review. As always, if you have any questions, please ask.

Administrative note:  My solution for posting the photos was to use another device for the transferring. That PC is being used by someone else today, so the photos for this post (and perhaps for others down the line) will be delayed. Today's photos will not be very exciting, they will be pics of the stateroom, balcony, shower, etc. and don't get too excited or disgusted, I was not in the shower during the photo shoot.]

Up Next . . . . Le Petit Dejeuner (Breakfast)

Edited by Travel R
  • Like 1