Thermal Suite on Princess ships

SnowDiamonds

Hello, I haven't cruised since 2014...I'm a little out of it. I purchased the thermal suite then, on the Grand, I believe...and it's available on the Ruby. Just wondering if anyone has done this recently and how was it? It's pricey so I want to be sure it's worth it on this ship, and since all the health precautions. 🙂 Any information is appreciated. Thank you!

5 hours ago, SnowDiamonds said:

Hello, I haven't cruised since 2014...I'm a little out of it. I purchased the thermal suite then, on the Grand, I believe...and it's available on the Ruby. Just wondering if anyone has done this recently and how was it? It's pricey so I want to be sure it's worth it on this ship, and since all the health precautions. 🙂 Any information is appreciated. Thank you!

We sailed on the Ruby in Nov 2021 and bought the full cruise couples pass for the thermal suite. In the past I have LOVED the thermal suite and raved about it to my partner.  But after experiencing the Enclave on the Majestic a month earlier it just didn't stack up. I was also on the Crown in late May this year and paid for the full pass then barely used it. I wish I hadn't done that. The Enclave really is a huge improvement over the Thermal Suite on the older ships and might have spoiled it for me. 🙂

We are sailing on the Diamond in September and will get complimentary access as we're sailing in a full suite but otherwise I think I would save my money. I am excited to try the Izumi bath on the Diamond though! The Thalassotherapy/Hydrotherapy pool in the Enclave was AMAZING and the Diamond has an outdoor version as part of Izumi.

The Enclave may be enough to get me to book a Royal class ship again. Especially the Majestic which has the covered Hollywood Pool. I've avoided them other than my short little getaway on the Majestic last fall. I just love the full promeade deck and some of the other features of the Grand/Crown class ships that are missing from the Royal class. 

Anyway, hope this info helps!

14 hours ago, rheathslc said:

We sailed on the Ruby in Nov 2021 and bought the full cruise couples pass for the thermal suite. In the past I have LOVED the thermal suite and raved about it to my partner.  But after experiencing the Enclave on the Majestic a month earlier it just didn't stack up. I was also on the Crown in late May this year and paid for the full pass then barely used it. I wish I hadn't done that. The Enclave really is a huge improvement over the Thermal Suite on the older ships and might have spoiled it for me. 🙂

We are sailing on the Diamond in September and will get complimentary access as we're sailing in a full suite but otherwise I think I would save my money. I am excited to try the Izumi bath on the Diamond though! The Thalassotherapy/Hydrotherapy pool in the Enclave was AMAZING and the Diamond has an outdoor version as part of Izumi.

The Enclave may be enough to get me to book a Royal class ship again. Especially the Majestic which has the covered Hollywood Pool. I've avoided them other than my short little getaway on the Majestic last fall. I just love the full promeade deck and some of the other features of the Grand/Crown class ships that are missing from the Royal class. 

Yes, thank you, that helps a lot. However, as I have not YET been spoiled by other thermal suites, can you describe the Ruby? The one I enjoyed before had these awesome tiled, heated loungers. We sat in those, then enjoyed a scented steam, then cooled down, then the sauna. Does it have those tiled heated loungers?? That is what I'm most excited about. Also, since we are going to be in the heat, Panama Canal, maybe I won't want all that heat.... 🙂 Ours also had I think 4 loungers. Do you remember exactly the details of Ruby? Do you have photos of this Enclave?? would love to see

oh wow,

14 hours ago, rheathslc said:

oh, just googled it, that is gorgeous!!!! Next time you're in Vegas try the spa at the Encore. They had similar tiled loungers and they have an amazing sort of "suite"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SnowDiamonds said:

Yes, thank you, that helps a lot. However, as I have not YET been spoiled by other thermal suites, can you describe the Ruby? The one I enjoyed before had these awesome tiled, heated loungers. We sat in those, then enjoyed a scented steam, then cooled down, then the sauna. Does it have those tiled heated loungers?? That is what I'm most excited about. Also, since we are going to be in the heat, Panama Canal, maybe I won't want all that heat.... 🙂 Ours also had I think 4 loungers. Do you remember exactly the details of Ruby? Do you have photos of this Enclave?? would love to see

It has 5 heated tile loungers. I agree those are amazing! It has two steam rooms. A larger one that is supposed to be mild but was still too hot for me for more than about 3 minutes and a smaller more intense one that I tried to walk into and had to immediately leave. And it has a lovely gentle dry sauna with a contoured tile bench in a semi circle. There are two "experience showers" one called Tropical Rain with a rain showerhead directly overhead and one called Cool Mist (or something like that) that had an overhead mister. Each also had several shower heads along the sides of the walls and a normal showerhead as well. Getting the temperature right was a little tricky but I did like the cool mist shower to cool down. And I also fell asleep on the tile beds more than once. I'll see if I can find you some pictures.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rheathslc said:

I'll be in a full suite on the Diamond in October.  If you get a chance, please post a review of the Thermal Suite and how easy it was to use if in a full suite vs buying a pass.  Thanks.

5 minutes ago, candydane said:

I'll be in a full suite on the Diamond in October.  If you get a chance, please post a review of the Thermal Suite and how easy it was to use if in a full suite vs buying a pass.  Thanks.

I absolutely will!

And from what others have said access is exactly the same as if you buy the pass. When they used to have the cruise card, before the medallion, you got a little sticker to put on your card to indicate that you had the pass and I THINK you would leave your card with them at the desk while you used it. Since the advent of the Medallion you'll just visit the spa on day one, let them know you're in a suite and want to access the thermal suite and they'll make a note of that. I have bought the pass on each of my three medallion class cruises since the restart and after the first time I just wave as I head past the desk and let them know I'm heading to the thermal suite and it's never been an issue. I've never once gone to use the thermal suite, even in the days pre-covid, and been turned away due to it being full. And I've mostly sailed on cool weather trips where you would think the thermal suite would be more in demand than on a Caribbean or Mediterranean itinerary. But maybe I've just been lucky.

Years ago I was able to purchase a one day, or maybe even a half day pass for the thermal suite on Ruby. For an upcoming cruise on the Caribbean Princess, I only see an option for the length of voyage in my personalizer. Does anyone know if a day or half day can be purchased onboard? The length of voyage is more than I am willing to spend.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, VaCruzers said:

Years ago I was able to purchase a one day, or maybe even a half day pass for the thermal suite on Ruby. For an upcoming cruise on the Caribbean Princess, I only see an option for the length of voyage in my personalizer. Does anyone know if a day or half day can be purchased onboard? The length of voyage is more than I am willing to spend.  Thank you!

You can purchase a day pass on board. Not sure about a half day though. And a day pass WAS on Cruise Personalizer as recently as just a few months ago. I'm bummed they took that away.

1 minute ago, rheathslc said:

You can purchase a day pass on board. Not sure about a half day though. And a day pass WAS on Cruise Personalizer as recently as just a few months ago. I'm bummed they took that away.

Thank you for that response! Good to know we can purchase onboard 🙂

On 7/8/2022 at 6:59 AM, deultgen said:

We were on the Ruby in February.  Nice 5 tiled lounges steam rooms, showers, etc.  For 99% of the people on the cruise, it is not worth it, but for us, its worth it a couple days a week.  

A few years ago & before Covid on the Ruby & the Crown the 5 beds  were always taken at about 2:30 & around 3:00 .  We were in a full suite, but the passengers that paid for the pass were upset when they were full.  Also no place to sit & wait in that particular room.  This was a Panama & Hawaii cruises.  
I even asked the girls @ the desk if anyone could just use the beds. And they said no.  But all the passengers that get massages  are entitled to use the beds also.  Passengers would leave their towels on the beds & sometimes we didn’t know if they had gone to the rest room & were coming back or in the sauna & coming back.  Some would stay for hours & sleep. 

IMO both of those ships seem to overbook those passes.  Even though they say they only have a limited number to sell.  The $ comes 1st. 

7 hours ago, Ronnieslady said:

A few years ago & before Covid on the Ruby & the Crown the 5 beds  were always taken at about 2:30 & around 3:00 .  We were in a full suite, but the passengers that paid for the pass were upset when they were full.  Also no place to sit & wait in that particular room.  This was a Panama & Hawaii cruises.  
I even asked the girls @ the desk if anyone could just use the beds. And they said no.  But all the passengers that get massages  are entitled to use the beds also.  Passengers would leave their towels on the beds & sometimes we didn’t know if they had gone to the rest room & were coming back or in the sauna & coming back.  Some would stay for hours & sleep. 

IMO both of those ships seem to overbook those passes.  Even though they say they only have a limited number to sell.  The $ comes 1st. 

Oh if there isn't a person actually on the bed I just put the towels in the bin and take it. That's rude to take up a bed you aren't actually using. 

When I was on the Crown in May there was a man who had the door to the small steam room stuck shut some how and when I tried to open it he said "occupied" and kept me out like it was totally normal and okay to prevent other people from using the space too. I was flabbergasted. I'd never had that happen before. I meant to ask at the desk if that was allowed in case maybe I was misunderstanding something but forgot at the time.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread to see if there are any more opinions out there.  We have an upcoming cruise on the Regal, where (currently) you have to book the Thermal Suite for the entire voyage (no day pass).  In previous cruises we've been in the same boat (pun not intended, but yeah, it happened) and chosen not to purchase it.  Our conundrum is that while it looks like something we would enjoy, I wonder if we'd use it daily...or worse, feel pressured to use it daily. 

I know in the end it's a personal preference, but would be interested to hear other's thoughts on this.... tia.

35 minutes ago, nwnittany said:

Bumping this thread to see if there are any more opinions out there.  We have an upcoming cruise on the Regal, where (currently) you have to book the Thermal Suite for the entire voyage (no day pass).  In previous cruises we've been in the same boat (pun not intended, but yeah, it happened) and chosen not to purchase it.  Our conundrum is that while it looks like something we would enjoy, I wonder if we'd use it daily...or worse, feel pressured to use it daily. 

I know in the end it's a personal preference, but would be interested to hear other's thoughts on this.... tia.

The Regal is a ‘Royal’ class ship and the Spa suite area is known as the ‘Enclave’ which is not the same as the Thermal suites on the smaller ‘Grand’ class ships. Check out numerous YouTube videos to see the difference. In some sailings depending on how many passes are sold, you may be able to buy day passes.

Suggest you take a tour and see if the space is to your liking and if your itinerary would allow you the time. 

Edited by wallyj

33 minutes ago, wallyj said:

The Regal is a ‘Royal’ class ship and the Spa suite area is known as the ‘Enclave’ which is not the same as the Thermal suites on the smaller ‘Grand’ class ships. Check out numerous YouTube videos to see the difference. In some sailings depending on how many passes are sold, you may be able to buy day passes.

Suggest you take a tour and see if the space is to your liking and if your itinerary would allow you the time. 

Thanks, and interesting.  When I look at the 'Relaxation Areas' in the Spa using the Cruise Personalizer for my cruise on the Regal, it shows as this....I wonder if they have renamed it?:

I've looked at several video's of what included....I was more wondering if others have seen the value in buying it for the full length of the cruise.  It's something that I think I would enjoy, but I'm just wondering if others found the time to use it frequently enough (yes, I know it's a personal preference....just interested in other's experiences).....

image.png.687e39f1fd5e083efdfb31778dbaef93.png

Edited by nwnittany

1 minute ago, nwnittany said:

Thanks, and interesting.  When I look at the 'Relaxation Areas' in the Spa using the Cruise Personalizer for my cruise on the Regal, it shows as this....I wonder if they have renamed it?:

image.png.687e39f1fd5e083efdfb31778dbaef93.png

No, it has not been renamed 

It's yet another website failure, which lumps Enclave and Thermal Suite together as one, regardless of ship. Apparently, website/app cannot differentiate on bookings for Enclave for Royal and newer ships versus Thermal Suite for Gran class and smaller ships...

Better to wait and buy aboard (same price anyways)..  

Or if you really want it, buy it - it's the Enclave on Regal, regardless of what the website calls it.. 

When the Enclave is available on a ship, my husband and I always book it for the entire cruise and ahead of time. It's usually about $20 per day with a full cruise pass. We both love the pool and my husband enjoys the saunas. We're not Sanctuary-type people, but do splurge on the Enclave. I may miss a day on a long cruise, but my husband will rarely miss a day in the pool and saunas.

I LOVE the Thermal Suites/Enclave. I was a holdout who insisted on only cruising on the older ships that had Thermal Suites and avoided the Royal Class ships. Even with seeing videos and reviews of the Enclave I just clung to the older Thermal Suites. Until I booked a 3-day on the Majestic as my first cruise back after the restart. The Enclave on the Royal Class ships is amazing! I now book it in advance on every cruise. And what it's called on cruise personalizer has gone through several changes over the last few years since the restart. But regardless of what the pass is named, it is good for whichever thermal suite is on your ship - Enclave on Royal Class, Thermal Suite on others. And I think it's called something else on the new Sun Class ships as well.

It definitely used to be cheaper to book the full cruise pass in advance through cruise personalizer than if you waited until you were onboard but I think that savings has dwindled or even disappeared entirely. They also used to sell a couples pass in advance that was a significant savings. That is now only available on board if at all. If you're the type of person who likes steam rooms and saunas or hot tubs and want to splurge a bit, it's a must. The thermal pool in the Enclave is actually warm - unlike a lot of the hotubs on the top decks. And the heated tile beds are bliss to lounge on. I also really enjoy the different "experience showers". But if you're unsure if you'll enjoy it you can wait and take the tour on the first day. Again, the savings from buying in advance has mostly gone away.

I've also done almost exclusively cool to cold weather cruises which makes the Enclave/Thermal Suite more appealing than if you're cruising in a hot climate. So that's something to keep in mind.

2 minutes ago, nwnittany said:

In general has the Enclave/Thermal suite been crowded ?   Ie, is it common to show up and find it so busy that you turn away ? 

In my experience it's rare if ever that it has felt crowded to me. It has been what I would call full at times but usually only for a few minutes as people come and go. And I have low tolerance for crowding overall. I absolutely would leave if it felt crowded but have not reached that point so far. The tile beds are sometimes all taken but there are usually only 3-4 other people max in the pool at the same time and 1-2 other people in the steam/sauna rooms if any. It has usually been far less crowded than a lot of gym steam rooms I've been in. And people are generally respectful of the space and the atmosphere and other people. 

• Like 1

Well, I think we'll give it a try.  I'm pretty certain we will enjoy the times that we go there.  My only doubt is how often we will go.  I guess there's only one way to find out ! 

Thanks to all who helped out and if others have opinions/experiences, I'm sure the community would love to hear them.