London cabs - Paddington Station to Lancaster Gate

Nang

We have an upcoming stay in London following a cruise. Am planning to take the Elizabeth line from Heathrow to Paddington on a Sunday and then the reverse the following Saturday, both around 5:00pm to6:00pm. It is a bit less than a mile to our hotel (Lancaster Gate) from the station but due to our luggage will need to get a cab. Are we likely to find a cab at the railway station? If not can we expect to flag one down as we won't be able to call for one. Do cabs take such short fares? (they would be very reluctant to in our home town) TIA

1 hour ago, Nang said:

Are we likely to find a cab at the railway station? ... Do cabs take such short fares?

There's a proper taxi rank at the station. I'm not 100% sure where it is now, but the National Rail website suggests that it's near the high-numbered platforms. If the Elizabeth Line is still using the mainline platforms when you come (which it's expected to until late autumn 2022), then that's the correct end of the station.

A cab is required to take you on this journey. If you genuinely have lots of luggage, the cabbie will understand.

28 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

There's a proper taxi rank at the station. I'm not 100% sure where it is now, but the National Rail website suggests that it's near the high-numbered platforms. If the Elizabeth Line is still using the mainline platforms when you come (which it's expected to until late autumn 2022), then that's the correct end of the station.

A cab is required to take you on this journey. If you genuinely have lots of luggage, the cabbie will understand.

Thanks for the quick response. We have a carry on and large checked case each. Dragging them a half-3/4 a mile doesn't phase me one bit but The Boss often does not share my assessment of what is easily doable. Its good to know we have a taxi option if she decrees it necessary.

As per Globaliser's post, "black cab" drivers are obliged to take you regardless of how short the distance.

There's a minimum charge of about £4.

Then a combination of distance & time - so it's not possible to give an accurate figure in advance because it depends on traffic conditions, but probably about £6 total.

Poor value, but probably well worth it if you have luggage.

I suggest that you comply with the boss's assessment that you take a cab - ' cos if you don't, you'll be the one lugging all the bags 🙃 

JB 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Globaliser said:

but the National Rail website suggests that it's near the high-numbered platforms. If the Elizabeth Line is still using the mainline platforms when you come (which it's expected to until late autumn 2022), then that's the correct end of the station.

Yes, it’s upstairs at that end of the station. There are lifts, which will be easiest with the luggage. Well signposted, including a floor trail,  as with the tube lines at Paddington. 

Edited by Cotswold Eagle
  • Like 2