Mendenhall Glacier access question.

KingsQueen13

So my hubby and I will be in Juneau Sept 8th and have the Juneau Gold Mine tour booked. Our port time is 2-11pm. We are supposed to be done with the gold mine tour around 4:45ish. I would love to do the walk to the waterfalls near Mendenhall but I saw 5:30 listed as closing time. Is that only for the visitor center? Would we still be able to walk the trail? Is there transportation that would still pick us up after that time? Thanks for any and all help. 

This is from the website at the link below: 

“The grounds surrounding the visitor center are open from 6:00 a.m. to midnight year-round.”

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5400800

I would check with some of the tour operators that provide bus transportation to see when their last bus runs. If you use a cab / Uber / Lyft, I would try to schedule a pickup time when they drop you off, in case you don’t have cell phone service to request a return ride.