Private Shore Excursions at Dock/Port

mcsnow

We are booked for an Alaskan 14 day cruise with HAL in September.  Unfortunately at several Ports (Kodiak especially) the shore excursions are sold out.  What experience/luck have you had  with shore excursions purchased at the Port?  I have seen them at Ports during previous cruises but never used them as I am usually very organized and plan ahead but this was a relatively last minute decision.  

Thanks!!

Margaret

I don't remember seeing any tours available at the cruise dock. 

Have a look at the bear tour flights to the Katmai Coast from Kodiak. 

Do a google search on touring Kodiak and likely something will come up. 

We have enjoyed renting a car and using visitor info. Our go-to guides moved on when HAL stopped going there every other week. We are working on a May 23 trip and haven't found much jumping out at us and to early for bears but Sept at Katmai may be just perfect timing. 

Check youtube. This one has some ruff camera work but the aquarium he goes to is really nice. Kodiak, Alaska by Foot Tour - What to Do on Your Day in Port - YouTube

sightcrr

Edited by SightCRR

There are usually tours available at the port at Juneau & Ketchikan. Other ports, not as much, it at all.  

I would try and book independent excursions ahead of time for all the ports, just to be safe. Several ship excursions on my May cruise on Carnival were canceled and people were scrambling for other options. If you have something already booked, you won’t be fighting for limited space on last minute tours.

I have been to Kodiak both on business and prior to boarding a state ferry to head to Dutch Harbor/Unalaska.  The time we were there prior to boarding the state ferry a cruise ship was docked.  Kodiak doesn't have many cruise ships stop there and I don't remember any private vendors offering tours.  

Both the Alutiq Museum and the Kodiak History Museum (aka the Baranov Museum) are within easy walking distance to where I suspect you will be docked.  The Ft.  Abercrombie State Historical Park is not within easy walking distance but several years ago there was a downtown gift store which had rental cars available for the day; I have no recollection of the name of that store, but it again would be within easy walking distance to where I suspect you will dock.  The Kodiak visitor's center will have information.