Advance CBSA on ArriveCan (UK travellers)

elmsliebev

Hi

I've completed our ArriveCan app for Sunday's arrival into Vancouver. I'm now offered the optional choice to complete an Advance CBSA declaration. What is this and is it worth doing just for 1 visit? Many thanks

The CBSA declaration is a new addition to ArriveCan.  It permits the user to complete a customs declaration in advance.  I haven't used it yet as I haven't been out of the country since this electronic Declaration was introduced; however, if Vancouver airport is the same as Toronto airport, (I think it is) there will be kiosks in the arrivals hall where you scan your passport and complete the customs Declaration.  I guess doing the Declaration in advance will cut-down the amount of time at the kiosk, you will still have to see a live agent after that.  More information here:

https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/navigate-yvr/customs-and-immigration/canada-border-services-agency/canada-border-clearance

Hope you are flying direct to Vancouver without having to change planes in Toronto.  The airport here has been an absolute nightmare over the last month or so with long lines, lost baggage etc.  However, I have read that Vancouver is not experiencing the same problems.  Will find out tomorrow.  Hopefully this will get posted, there is a major internet/mobile meltdown today across the country involving a major service provider (I use).

39 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

Hi

I've completed our ArriveCan app for Sunday's arrival into Vancouver. I'm now offered the optional choice to complete an Advance CBSA declaration. What is this and is it worth doing just for 1 visit? Many thanks

The Customs Declaration is the card they used to distribute on the flight prior to landing.  It is a requirement of entry.  You can now submit it through ArriveCAN or at the kiosk upon arrival.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, netpj said:

The CBSA declaration is a new addition to ArriveCan.  It permits the user to complete a customs declaration in advance.  I haven't used it yet as I haven't been out of the country since this electronic Declaration was introduced; however, if Vancouver airport is the same as Toronto airport, (I think it is) there will be kiosks in the arrivals hall where you scan your passport and complete the customs Declaration.  I guess doing the Declaration in advance will cut-down the amount of time at the kiosk, you will still have to see a live agent after that.  More information here:

https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/navigate-yvr/customs-and-immigration/canada-border-services-agency/canada-border-clearance

Hope you are flying direct to Vancouver without having to change planes in Toronto.  The airport here has been an absolute nightmare over the last month or so with long lines, lost baggage etc.  However, I have read that Vancouver is not experiencing the same problems.  Will find out tomorrow.  Hopefully this will get posted, there is a major internet/mobile meltdown today across the country involving a major service provider (I use).

many thanks. We fly direct from Manchester UK via Heathrow so anything could happen to our luggage! Heathrow has been problematic recently too. 

20 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

The Customs Declaration is the card they used to distribute on the flight prior to landing.  It is a requirement of entry.  You can now submit it through ArriveCAN or at the kiosk upon arrival.

many thanks. 

7 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

many thanks. We fly direct from Manchester UK via Heathrow so anything could happen to our luggage! Heathrow has been problematic recently too. 

Ugh.  Spent 2.5 hours at Heathrow just checking in.  Needed the full 4 hours we allotted to get through to the gate.  This was in April.  Luckily you’re starting in MAN.  Would love to know how things go.  I’ll be back at MAN in September.  All the best, and have a great trip!

1 minute ago, *Miss G* said:

Ugh.  Spent 2.5 hours at Heathrow just checking in.  Needed the full 4 hours we allotted to get through to the gate.  This was in April.  Luckily you’re starting in MAN.  Would love to know how things go.  I’ll be back at MAN in September.  All the best, and have a great trip!

thanks. MAN is also having problems but we will have 3.5 hours to get through! Then 4+ hours at LHR. I noticed the Vancouver flight has been late leaving every day this week! We'll get there, eventually. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, netpj said:

one last thing - I have both me and my husband on the ArriveCan app - can we both do the CBSA declaration on the one app or will he need to download his own? thanks

I think you will be able to do for both yourself and husband but not completely sure as we haven't used the Advance Declaration yet.  We completed the ArriveCan submission for embarkation but it didn't ask for a CBSA Declaration as we are staying on the ship until Fort Lauderdale hence not terminating cruise in Canada.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/border-tech-frontiere/declare-before-avant-eng.html

Hopefully, anyone flying into Canada for embarkation on Monday is already here or were able to complete ArriveCan successfully.  As of this morning, as mentioned in an earlier post, there is a massive internet/cell signal outage across the country on one of the networks of the only 2 major providers in Canada.  All kinds of things are affected as per this story.  We have been using a global mobile hotspot so were able to complete most of the technological paperwork required for embarkation.

The Canada Border Services Agency said the outage is impacting travel at the border, with many unable to complete their ArriveCan submissions to enter into the country. 

"For the duration of the outage, impacted travellers are required to submit their information using the Traveller Contact Information Form, to be completed prior to arrival at the border if unable to submit via ArriveCan," the agency said in a tweet. 

Paper copies of proof of vaccination will also be required, said the CBSA. The form can be found online here

1 hour ago, netpj said:

I think you will be able to do for both yourself and husband but not completely sure as we haven't used the Advance Declaration yet.  We completed the ArriveCan submission for embarkation but it didn't ask for a CBSA Declaration as we are staying on the ship until Fort Lauderdale hence not terminating cruise in Canada.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/border-tech-frontiere/declare-before-avant-eng.html

I guess it's asking us because we're entering Canada from the UK. 

57 minutes ago, netpj said:

Hopefully, anyone flying into Canada for embarkation on Monday is already here or were able to complete ArriveCan successfully.  As of this morning, as mentioned in an earlier post, there is a massive internet/cell signal outage across the country on one of the networks of the only 2 major providers in Canada.  All kinds of things are affected as per this story.  We have been using a global mobile hotspot so were able to complete most of the technological paperwork required for embarkation.

The Canada Border Services Agency said the outage is impacting travel at the border, with many unable to complete their ArriveCan submissions to enter into the country. 

"For the duration of the outage, impacted travellers are required to submit their information using the Traveller Contact Information Form, to be completed prior to arrival at the border if unable to submit via ArriveCan," the agency said in a tweet. 

Paper copies of proof of vaccination will also be required, said the CBSA. The form can be found online here

Managed to complete the ArriveCan this morning, I guess adding the CBSA declaration won't go through now anyway! I have a hard copy of the QR code as well.