camera lens rental

Does anybody have any experience renting a camera lens?  I know there are companies that will ship a lens to your house and you send it back when you are done.  I did this in 2014 when we went on a South African safari.  But that was a long time ago and I can't remember the name of the company that I used.  I am sure there are many more now, so I wanted to get people's opinions/suggestions.

I am only looking to rent a lens as I have a Nikon D5100 and a 18-270 lens.  But since we are cruising to Alaska, I want a bigger lens, so I am thinking of renting a 80-400 lens.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

I’ve used Lensrentals twice - a superzoom for an air show and a ‘pro’ grade lens for my Olympus I am thinking of buying.

The lens arrives packed in a Pelican case, inside the shipping box, along with the prepaid return label.

• Like 1

I have used LenRentals.com about 15 times over 12 years. They have always been great to deal with, their equipment is in great condition, and they are quick to respond to any issues that arise. I could not recommend them more strongly.

• Like 1

I've used LensRentals.com but have also had wonderful experience with LensProToGo. I used LensProToGo in Hawaii and it was shipped directly to my hotel when so when I arrived I picked it up. Sending it back I slapped the included label and UPS'd it back. Super simple.

Both companies have the 80-400 LensProToGo comes out a little cheaper if you use the July promo code on the front page.

As per the lenses you mentioned, you will pretty much be limited to day time/well lit shots since the aperture on both yours lenses are pretty small.

Edited by wmakayu
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I looked at renting a couple of lenses for my trip to Australia but after pricing decided it was more economical to buy used. For what I would be paying to rent a lens for a 30 day cruise it would cost me less to buy used.

• Like 3

Renting (and buying used) is an entire ecosystem because many of these lenses are beyond the reach of even the most steadily working photographers to buy and own. Gone are the days of being a full time staff reporter at newspapers and magazines (I know, what's a magazine) or websites.

Most everything is freelance these days, so only someone who is actually on staff, on a masthead at say, NatGeo, Condé Nast, Sports Illustrated, or an illustrious pro, etc., would have the means to own the range of lenses they need. The rest rent what's needed for an assignment as it comes along. 

All the equipment (not just lenses) is rated for it's condition, and these companies (including the ones above) have been around for a long time with great reputations in the industry. 

What that means is it then becomes possible to buy an almost new lens (used for that one assignment) from a reputable dealer in used kit. Adorama, mpb, and B&H are just a few in my area that all the professionals and serious nonprofessionals turn to for their needs (photography, filmmakers) otherwise, we'd probably see way fewer pictures of what this world looks like. Who could afford it?

Wanna rent a Hassleblad? You can. 🙂