Tipping in cash…how much to bring..

Kate-in-Canada

21 minutes ago, carolina_yankee said:

Which raises the question - is Norway even a tipping culture? I know in restaurants just leaving a couple of krone for exceptional service is the norm, but what about tour guides, etc?

Most sources will tell you Norway doesn't really have a tipping culture. Some guides for free walking tours only receive tips, and some higher end restaurants add a service charge. There's no such thing as a "tipped worker wage" in most of the world, so they're not making up a low salary on tips.

I don't recall tipping there either on a land visit or a cruise visit. Like you say, maybe a few Krone. And since they're almost cash free, you'll have to grab the credit card machine out of their hand before they close out your tab. You have to add a tip before they run the card, not after like the US. (Again, almost the entire world except the US.) I don't know that I've ever been handed the machine to add a tip unless I've asked or offered. It's just not normal.

1 minute ago, markeb said:

Most sources will tell you Norway doesn't really have a tipping culture. Some guides for free walking tours only receive tips, and some higher end restaurants add a service charge. There's no such thing as a "tipped worker wage" in most of the world, so they're not making up a low salary on tips.

I don't recall tipping there either on a land visit or a cruise visit. Like you say, maybe a few Krone. And since they're almost cash free, you'll have to grab the credit card machine out of their hand before they close out your tab. You have to add a tip before they run the card, not after like the US. (Again, almost the entire world except the US.) I don't know that I've ever been handed the machine to add a tip unless I've asked or offered. It's just not normal.

Thanks.

31 minutes ago, carolina_yankee said:

Which raises the question - is Norway even a tipping culture? I know in restaurants just leaving a couple of krone for exceptional service is the norm, but what about tour guides, etc?

No they are not, it's not used in scandinavia.

They are supposed to get a fair wage, and i never tip in norway, sweeden or my home country denmark. 

We tip. Originally from NY where you learn that “greasing the palm” goes a long way in gratitude and service. We start with the porters at embarkation at $5 a bag and continue onward. We give a tip to our butler and room attendants on the 2nd or 3rd day and another on the last night. We tip our waiter in specialty restaurants each time we are there as we don’t know if we’ll be there the next night. In Luminae we usually have the same waitstaff and tip them at the end of the cruise including the morning staff who bring the pastries/coffee, we’ll as the host/hostess.  We bring small bills for bar service, restroom attendant and pool attendants. It seems, by the time we disembark that we tipped everyone but the Captain. 🤣

From CC I’ve learned about using a form to designate OBC for tips to specific individuals and may try that on our next sailing. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 10:37 AM, Pinboy said:

WOW-- There are some pretty big tippers in the CC " community " !

As they say,  "talk is cheap ".   "Show me the money."

• Like 2