Taormina/Mt. Etna - Independent or ship excursion?

How much time and money would it cost to tour Taormina and Mt. Etna on your own? We port in Messina, Sicily.

The ship excursion is $125/pp. I figure it will be more crowded and more expensive than doing it on our own but how much more expensive? I'm looking at the 'hassle factor.' I'm willing to be herded and to pay a little more if it cuts down on the stress.

Does anyone have any personal experience on these questions? Thanks in advance.:)

-Matt

I cannot speak to the Mt Etna question, but you can do Taormina on your own. In fact, once you are at Taormina there is absolutely no reason to be part of any tour. Its a very small town with one main street and another perpendicular street that runs to the Amphitheater. You cannot get lost! Now, getting to Taormina can be a challenge. You can take the bus from the ship,,, or, take the train from Messina. The train stop is on the coast below Taormina and you would still need to use a bus, taxi, or the cable car to get up to the town. Another possibility would be to simply rent a car (we do this all over Europe) if you are comfortable driving in Europe. One day rentals are pricy, but still will be under $100 (and you can take 4).

Hank

Bunduo,

We took a ship's (The Rotterdam) shore excursion from Messina to Taorimina & Mt. Etna last May and it was great. We had a brief tour of Messina as we drove towards Taormina. Our guide was very good and filled the ride to Taorimina with good historical information and background about the area. We walked all around Taormina with great photo ops. Then, we drove on to Mt. Etna. We had time to walk all around the crater and then were treated to a fabulous lunch at a restaurant right at the crater. The food was great and there was a family entertaining us with music. We don't always take the shore excursions through the ship--sometimes we go off on our own or find a taxi driver who will give us a tour. However, this time we decided to relax and enjoy a tour knowing that we wouldn't have to stress about getting back to the ship in time if there was a traffic jam, etc. The scenery is beautiful and I know you will enjoy Taorimina and Mt. Etna.

Barbara

How much time and money would it cost to tour Taormina and Mt. Etna on your own? We port in Messina, Sicily.

The ship excursion is $125/pp. I figure it will be more crowded and more expensive than doing it on our own but how much more expensive? I'm looking at the 'hassle factor.' I'm willing to be herded and to pay a little more if it cuts down on the stress.

Does anyone have any personal experience on these questions? Thanks in advance.:)

-Matt

Matt,

We sailed on the Liberty last August. I arranged, through DriveAmalfi (Salvatore Lucibello was my contact), for a private tour of Taormina and Mt. Etna. We had 16 passengers in a single bus/van and the total cost was 1,000 euros, or 62.5 euros per person. With the euro at about 1.25, the 62.5 euros became about $78 per person. This did not cover the entrance fee to the Greek Theatre, which was 6 euros per person. Carnival wanted $135 per person for the same tour. I guarantee that we had a much better time than those taking the Carnival tour. Hope this helps.

John

We have never rented in Messina. However, when we rent in Europe we normally check prices for Europcar, Hertz, and Avis. You would probably find much better prices using some of the on-line consolidators such as http://www.argusrentals.com where they utilize various companies. The key is to arrange pick-up at a downtown location. My favorite consolidator is Autoeurope (they are located in Maine) but they do not handle one day rentals. In Italy its important to take all the insurance (including collision damage waiver) since most credit card company policys specifically excluse Italy. I do not know the cost of a taxi to Taormina but its a pretty long distance (I would guess about 40 miles each way) so its pricy.

Hank

Matt,

We sailed on the Liberty last August. I arranged, through DriveAmalfi (Salvatore Lucibello was my contact), for a private tour of Taormina and Mt. Etna. We had 16 passengers in a single bus/van and the total cost was 1,000 euros, or 62.5 euros per person. With the euro at about 1.25, the 62.5 euros became about $78 per person. This did not cover the entrance fee to the Greek Theatre, which was 6 euros per person. Carnival wanted $135 per person for the same tour. I guarantee that we had a much better time than those taking the Carnival tour. Hope this helps.

John

John,

We have DriveAmalfi booked for Naples. Hmmm. I wonder what Salvatore would charge for 6 passengers? I think they advertise a Taormina tour on their website. I'll have to check it out. I'm a little hesitant to rent a car. The bad thing about renting a car is the driver doesn't get to sightsee. The one reason we cruise is so we don't have to drive!

Thanks everyone and big thanks to John and Hank!

Hi

I've bben trying to find the website for DriveAmalfi. Although there are quite a few references thru "google" I can't come up with the actual website.

I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks

Salvatore (from Drive Amalfi) does not have a website (although I think I read he may be getting one soon?)... His email address is *****. We have him booked from Naples for a tour of the Amalfi Coast in June. We have corresponded with him many times thus far and he is absolutely wonderful! We can't wait!!

For Mt. Etna and Taormina, another option is Sicily Life (http://www.sicilylife.com). We'll be going with them for our tour from Messina. They sound like they have a great tour and we're very excited about them too!

Carole

Did both last May on a 24 day land trip to Italy last year.

Forget Mt. Etna as it is simply a tourist trap at the top and not very beautiful of a ride getting there.

Additionally last May Mt. Etna was active and you were not allow to go to the top of the crater because of the poisonious gases being emitted. So please verify Mt. Etna's current state of poisonious gas emittion.

Taormina is a nice place to visit.

Be very aware of your time as you do not wish to miss your vessel.

I am sure that you are aware that you will need an International Driver's License to drive in Italy. A US drivers license is not accepted. This I have been told and do not know it as a fact so please for your benefit please verify.

One drawback with renting a car is that you're restricted as regards those glasses of wine with lunch... I'm never sure what the blood-alcohol legal limits in other european countries are, so the safest course is to not drink. Unfortunately, a glass or two of wine with the lunch in the cafe is part of the attraction of a day out, isn't it?

So as regards Messina/Taormina, I had already decided that I would go on my cruiseline's 'Taormina on your own' excursion - that would get us to & from Taormina, and leave us free to do our own thing at that point.

I suppose there is always the taxi alternative, but I think I'm actually more nervous of using taxis than I am of attempting to use public transport - the rip-off probability seems so much higher with taxis. Especially in Italy, I'm told.

We've (Mum & I ) have used taxi tours many times in Italy and had no problems whatsoever. Just always agreed a price first.

By the way I don't know what the drink/driving regulations are in Italy but here in Spain they are stricter than in the Uk.!!!

Salvatore (from Drive Amalfi) does not have a website (although I think I read he may be getting one soon?)... His email address is *****. We have him booked from Naples for a tour of the Amalfi Coast in June. We have corresponded with him many times thus far and he is absolutely wonderful! We can't wait!!

For Mt. Etna and Taormina, another option is Sicily Life (http://www.sicilylife.com). We'll be going with them for our tour from Messina. They sound like they have a great tour and we're very excited about them too!

Carole

Carole,

I think your right about the website. Back in August, when researching drivers for Naples, Rome, and Florence, I could have sworn that Salvatore had a website. He comes so highly regarded, I would like to use him for Sicily but a 1000 euro is little expensive. Muchas Gracias for the Sicily Life suggestion!

International drivers licenses, lunch without wine, no sightseeing, getting lost, getting in accident. With my luck, I would hit some mob bosses car and end up dead. My wife was stationed in Sicily while in the Air Force. During her in-processing, she was briefed about the mob presence in Sicily. Apparently, a young pilot jilted the daughter of a mobster. They found his body the next day on some railroad tracks.....so renting a car is definitely not an option.

Matt

You will also need to be aware that most of the shops in Taormina do close for "siesta" during the afternoon. By 2 about the only places open will be the cafes and a few touristy shops. All the decent stores will close. The way to deal with this is to go in the morning and do your shopping as soon as you arrive. Than, during the Siesta time, you can relax at an outdoor cafe with lunch, beer, wine, etc.

Hank

Archived