Taieri Gorge Railway

Peteymil

I have done searches on line, and cannot find any information on whether the railway is reopening.  Shoreexcursiongroup.com will book a trip in January, but I'm not sure that they know it will be open, or if they are just hoping.  Of course I know I won't be charged if it doesn't go, but I was hoping that someone from that area would have some information.

Thank you in advance for any help.

15 hours ago, Peteymil said:

I have done searches on line, and cannot find any information on whether the railway is reopening.  Shoreexcursiongroup.com will book a trip in January, but I'm not sure that they know it will be open, or if they are just hoping.  Of course I know I won't be charged if it doesn't go, but I was hoping that someone from that area would have some information.

Thank you in advance for any help.

I would suggest you contact Dunedin Railways and check with them - info@dunedinrailways.co.nz

Until November there are scheduled trips only once a month on Sundays and only part way up the Gorge to Hindon. 

6 hours ago, possum52 said:

I would suggest you contact Dunedin Railways and check with them - info@dunedinrailways.co.nz

Until November there are scheduled trips only once a month on Sundays and only part way up the Gorge to Hindon. 

Thank you so much for that suggestion. I just sent them an email. 

• Like 1

Great tip with the contact email. Thank you!

My cruise line is selling the trip in January next year, but it looks very expensive. I suspect it is similar to a ships tour of the Flam railway in Norway, vs. a direct ticket from the rail company... 

8 hours ago, dcbiker97 said:

I'd be interested to know what you find out. We're booked for the train in November through Celebrity and would like to know if we can book directly or need to stay with the ship excursion.

They sent me back a very nice email and said that they would not know their summer schedule until October, and let me know I should check online at that time. I did find a significantly cheaper excursion through Shore excursion group which is a train ride out and then coming back it's on a coach and it points out the highlights of the city and then drops you off for some walk time along the beach at the end before it takes you back to the ship. If the railway is open this is what I would do. It is bookable now, with the understanding that if it doesn't run they will refund your money.

1 hour ago, Peteymil said:

They sent me back a very nice email and said that they would not know their summer schedule until October, and let me know I should check online at that time. I did find a significantly cheaper excursion through Shore excursion group which is a train ride out and then coming back it's on a coach and it points out the highlights of the city and then drops you off for some walk time along the beach at the end before it takes you back to the ship. If the railway is open this is what I would do. It is bookable now, with the understanding that if it doesn't run they will refund your money.

Glad you received a prompt reply from the Dunedin Railway. We did a private tour for the Taieri Gorge train last time we were in Dunedin/Port Chalmers and it was much cheaper than the ship's tour. The main difference was that the ship tour was picked up at the ship and the private tour was picked up by coach and taken to Dunedin railway station. I think lunch was also included on the ship tour. 

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Glad you received a prompt reply from the Dunedin Railway. We did a private tour for the Taieri Gorge train last time we were in Dunedin/Port Chalmers and it was much cheaper than the ship's tour. The main difference was that the ship tour was picked up at the ship and the private tour was picked up by coach and taken to Dunedin railway station. I think lunch was also included on the ship tour. 

I tried to contact the company you used but they are not reachable. I know Covid probably did a number on them! But I did find another good alternative. Thanks for your help!

• Like 1