chargers on the McKinley Explorer train

ewildcat7

We have a 7-year old that we fear is not going to do well on the train - we hear it is 10 hours.  She has a kindle and an ipad that I will load up with movies and shows.  But do any of you know if there are chargers on the train?  Thanks!

14 hours ago, ewildcat7 said:

We have a 7-year old that we fear is not going to do well on the train - we hear it is 10 hours.  She has a kindle and an ipad that I will load up with movies and shows.  But do any of you know if there are chargers on the train?  Thanks!

The platforms between the cars are very big and safe.  A pair of cheap binoculars and a few visits to the platform will break up your child's long ride. Put pictures of Alaska creatures on the Ipad and then have your child look for  them.  I have seen eagles, moose, and beavers from the train platform. 

FWIW taking photos through the thick train windows will give you long colored streaks and glare that only Photoshop can heal.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/moose/P6120673.jpg

17 hours ago, ewildcat7 said:

We have a 7-year old that we fear is not going to do well on the train - we hear it is 10 hours.

If traveling the full route, the trip is closer to 7-1/2 hours; less time to and from Talkeetna. The typical schedule is as follows: Northbound (train 241N), Anchorage depart 9:15 a.m., Talkeetna (McKinley station) arrive 12:00 noon, depart 12:15 p.m., Denali arrive 4:40 p.m. Southbound (train 241S), Denali depart 9:15 a.m., Talkeetna (McKinley station) arrive 1:40 p.m., depart 1:55 p.m., Anchorage arrive 4:40 p.m.

5 hours ago, Crew News said:

Put pictures of Alaska creatures on the Ipad and then have your child look for  them.

3 hours ago, Jacobs Ema said:

However, I agree that there are MANY ways to keep a child engaged instead of plopping her in front of a screen.

Great idea - we will put some animal pictures on her ipad

Unfortunately she has ADHD, so getting her off of her ipad can be a challenge sometimes.  I think she will definitely like the animal searching, but it won't last 7 hours.  Sometimes it is just easier to let her watch movies if that is what she wants to do - it is her vacation too!