Just Returned(Discovery 2)

Well myself and Mrs JTS returned last night from our much awaited (booked 2 years ago)cruise n stay and thought I,d give you all a wee update on how it went

Flew from Edinburgh and on arrival at the airport the signs were not good as  was met by a long snaking queue from the terminal building to the outside,however it  transpired that it was for easyjet check in and not security as we thought,phew!

Inside the terminal it was wall to wall bodies but check in for our BA flight was quick,efficient and done in 5 minutes,through security and into departures in 10 mins

Flight was delayed for 50 mins but we were soon on our way.

Small aircraft ,2x2 but comfortable with excellent leg room in fact better leg room than we,ve had when flying to orlando

No issues at Palma regards luggage collection and onto the coach to transfer us to the port and before we knew it on board.From airport transfers to getting on board was smooth,quick and efficient

Eventually on board for 9pm/9-30 and it was straight to the Live Room to watch muster drill on the screen,then shown our muster station

We then partook in some well earned refreshments and headed to bed about 2-30am in prep for our adventure

We had a great time for the first 3 and a bit days, but sadly it went a bit downhill after that.

We got off at Gib and were no more than 50 yards up the High St when mrs complained of feeling unwell,sore head etc so we decided to head back to the ship

Cut a long story short,mrs began to feel more unwell,then a few hours later I became unwell and we had all the hallmarks of covid.Both tested negative and thought we,d see the night through and see what next day would bring.We both had a very unpleasant,sleepless night of muscle and joint pain,shivering,coughing etc....Tested ourselves in the morning,Positive!

Called reception to let them know, who in turn  contacted medical team who called us to let us know the nurse would come and see us...Duly turned up a few hrs later and took our temps and told us to pack our stuff and we,d be moved to a self isolation cabin which turned out to be a delux balcony cabin on deck 7.Always fancied a balcony cabin but not under these circumstances.We spent the rest of our cruise in this cabin until we arrived back in Palma where we moved onto our 3 night hotel stay where we pretty much holed up in our room

Our 10 day holiday/cruise we so much looked  forward to turned into a great 3 and a bit days and the rest not so

Covid for us was a very unpleasant experience and certainly worse that a heavy cold

Thankfully back home now and although still testing positive we are both feeling a bit better although very tired and fatigued

Food:

Breakfast in Islands was excellent.Fresh,hot and plenty selection

Dinner in Islands and 47 was okay,not great

Entertainment:

Abba in  Broadway Show Lounge we thought was excellent and one of the best shows we have seen

Entertainment in both the Live Room and Squid and Anchor was very good

Staff

Absolutely top of the pops all of them

Flight home was delayed 1hr 20mins and on arrival waited a full 2hrs for our luggage to appear on carousel.Nightmare

Glad to be home?You bet😅

Edited by Jim The Scot
  • Like 2

Every poss RR but who knows.Seems no rhyme or reason why,where or who actually catches it

BTW,we were not the only ones on board with covid.Cabins either side of us and the two further along also had covid passengers

Edited by Jim The Scot

So sorry to hear you and your wife were unwell on your cruise Jim.  Such a disappointment after looking forward to it for so long.

Sadly Covid is still with us and for some, despite being vaccinated it can be quite debilitating.

I hope you both continue to feel better and be back to full health soon.

• Thanks 1

Thanks nancy

Another disappointment was, we met and made many new friends in our short time especially Tony and Roslan from monkton in Ayr who we met at edinburgh airport on way out and who we spent a lot of time with until we were self isolated.We connected with them and we had agreed to swap contact details.Unfortunately we didnt get the chance and never saw them again

8 hours ago, Jim The Scot said:

Thanks nancy

Another disappointment was, we met and made many new friends in our short time especially Tony and Roslan from monkton in Ayr who we met at edinburgh airport on way out and who we spent a lot of time with until we were self isolated.We connected with them and we had agreed to swap contact details.Unfortunately we didnt get the chance and never saw them again

Hi JTS I have put the word out on other Social Media outlets with the Names of your Missing Friends and where they come from  . Lets see what come back 😇

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Brummijam said:

Hi Jim.

Sorry to hear that your adventure ended up the way it did.😞

Hope that yourself and Mrs JTS have a swift and complete recovery.

look after yourselves.😉

Thanks B

1 hour ago, Rebel Rouser said:

Hi JTS I have put the word out on other Social Media outlets with the Names of your Missing Friends and where they come from  . Lets see what come back 😇

Thanks a lot RR,appreciate that

19 hours ago, Jim The Scot said:

Thankfully back home now and although still testing positive we are both feeling a bit better although very tired and fatigued

Pleased you are back home safe, can relate to how you are feeling as we are just recovering and it's not nice. I did not realise that you could fly if still positive🤔. Hope you both recovered quickly. 👍

• Thanks 1

Thanks P

Yes theres no restriction on flying like there was no restriction on us in the resort/hotel or even on the coach transfer from the port to our hotel 🤔so hardly surprising infection rates are high

There were many coughing and spluttering on the ship and coach transfer as well as on the flight home

Still testing positive today although 2nd line is fainter

Hope you get well soon P

Bummer, Jim.  We came home from Corralejo with it in March.  We did tests over there, all clear so we put it down to a heavy cold.  Tested positive the day after we came home.   We did recover quickly, hope you're the same.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

I think I will be wearing a mask at the airport and on the plane plus the transfer coach. IMO best to avoid early risk of infection if possible. I have a number of FFP2 NR masks I have never worn.

dave

We wore our face coverings at the airport and the plane(compulsory)but not for the chosen few it appeared and on transfer coaches

15 hours ago, Rebel Rouser said:

I was just about to ask Jim if I could do the same on other cruise groups but I think we are in the same groups RR so I will keep an eye out for any info. Hopefully someone will know them and get in touch.

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2022 at 10:23 PM, Jim The Scot said:

Thanks nancy

Hope you manage to get back in touch with your friends Jim and hope you and your wife are feeling much better.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, nancyneptune said:

I was just about to ask Jim if I could do the same on other cruise groups but I think we are in the same groups RR so I will keep an eye out for any info. Hopefully someone will know them and get in touch.

😇 All ships eh?

10 hours ago, nancyneptune said:

Hope you manage to get back in touch with your friends Jim and hope you and your wife are feeling much better.

Thanks nancy,the friends in question embarked on a 2nd week cruise and wont be home till tomorrow

We,re both on the mend and feeling a bit better today thanks

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 2:58 PM, Jim The Scot said:

Thanks P

Yes theres no restriction on flying like there was no restriction on us in the resort/hotel or even on the coach transfer from the port to our hotel 🤔so hardly surprising infection rates are high

There were many coughing and spluttering on the ship and coach transfer as well as on the flight home

Still testing positive today although 2nd line is fainter

Hope you get well soon P

Jim, I hope you and your wife are now well on the way to being fully recovered. I was very surprised by how you were dealt with, compared to what happened to passengers 6 months ago (offloading to quarantine hotel until testing negative, at ones own expense) -  Did anyone on Marella confirm Is that the 'new normal' when dealing with Covid cases onboard?

Thanks H,neither of us quite 100% but much better

No restrictions in Spain anymore so no need to be offloaded to a quarantine hotel

Medical team visited us the night before we were due to dock at Palma and asked how we were feeling and said it was fine for us to go to resort as there are no restrictions.The only really input from medical team before that was taking our temp when we  first informed them we had tested positive and to complete a couple of forms.Said they,d come back the next morning to do my temp again as it was high.Didnt come the next morning but turned up around 19-00,to collect the forms only😅

Obviously Marella have there quarantine rules whilst on the ship but once off the ship the responsiblity is no longer theres I suppose

Edited by Jim The Scot

Jim - Thanks for the info. Lets hope the virus doesn't mutate to something more significant than BA4 and BA5, and everything eventually becomes nearer to 'normal' pre Covid life, even in winter.

Ideally, I'd like my Sept/Oct booster before next cruise (missed the spring one as only 74)

I don't know, the way this thing is mutating went you get the Sept/Oct booster it might be a more up to date vaccine based on the latest strain.

Hopefully this thing will go the way of the common cold, you might get a bad cold or a slight cold, but it won't dangerous and we will all ignore it.