which cruise line is best for Alaska?

cruisevacationsrock

We are in the planning stages for a cruise to Alaska for next year. We were wondering a few things: we normally cruise on Royal Caribbean, and would like to stay with them, but have heard that Princess cruises are the best in Alaska. Which is better Royal Caribbean or Princess? Also, we were thinking of going in June - is this a good time to see the whales, and how is the weather in June?

Thanks for any help!!

I sail RCI most of the time, but am going on Princess for Alaska because I want to go to Glacier Bay and RCI has no Glacier Bay permits.

I don't know about weather in June, but you should see whales. Most of the whale tour companies say you have a 100% chance of seeing whales from May through I think Sept or Oct.

We've done both Princess and RCCI (twice) (as well as another line that is no more) to AK. Glacier Bay is nice, but Hubbard is also very nice so I don't know that I'd make Glacier Bay my number one deciding factor. I really, really like the Radiance-class RCCI ships for the inside passage. There is no better ship - SO many vantage points, such amazing manevering (gets you closer to some of the sights). But you won't go "wrong" either way -- I'd base my decision upon the itenary you prefer - is Glacier Bay is important to you? Does one spend more time in ports than the other? What ports are important to you?

What are you looking at a one way or round trip??? For round trip I think the best itinerary around is HAL with Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm out of Vancouver. I also give them the "best" for one ways too as they go to Seward, grossly superior for touring opportunities IF you don't just pass though?? Glacier Bay and College fjords are must dos on my Alaska one way sailings. RCI is lacking here since they do not go to College Fjords and just make a straight shot across the Gulf of Alaska - open ocean, no scenery. But they do do Seward. :) My opinion only, I never do a one way without at least another week for interior Alaska touring, take advantage of being all the way there. :)

I never cruise anywhere but researching on Alaska for this summer.:)

Most recommendation here, based on iternary and experience of people in the forum, suggest HAL and Princess line.

I pick HAL over Princess due to HAL debark at Seward but Princess at Whittier. There are much more things to see in Seward (Kenai Fjord NP, Exit Glacier, etc). HAL is slightly more expensive but supposed to be more refined.

**(I was talking about 7 days one-way cruise between Alaska and Vancouver)

Budgetqueen, you seem to have the same mindset as I do. What you seem to have that I don't is experience in Alaska. We are planning a trip to Alaska for the summer of 2007. I will most definitely be doing a one way trip taking advantage of touring the interior for at least a week before or after the cruise. As you said, how often will we be making this trip. It will be me, DH, best friend (male), and 2 DS's (they will be 6 and 15 at the time). Do you recommend doing the cruise at the beginning or end of trip? I've had people swear by both. Also, is there a cruiseline that you do recommend for this type of trip? One last question. Would you book a tour for the land portion or do it on your own? As you can probably tell, even if we do it on our own it will be thoroughly planned out. I love the planning almost as much as the trip. My friends always come to me for travel advice because I love to do the research and love to travel! When we toured Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Devils Tower, Badlands and Black Hills we did it all on our own. I planned for a year! So far, everyone agrees it was the best trip we've made. If we do decide to do it on our own, do you have any recommendations or must dos?

Thank you-

Alyson

I have done both RCCL (Radiance) and Princess (Coral, Sun and Dawn) and I thought Princess did a MUCH better job. Combination of Glacier Bay and College Fiords is fantastic, Princess has a naturalist on board and they have several speakers come onboard for presentations (Libby Riddles - first female to win the Iditarod). Plus, the anytime/pc flexible dining is excellent in Alaska when you are in ports later.

Thanks for your input! We are doing a one way, but are doing a 3 or 4 night land tour before hand. We are still not sure which cruise line we are using, but will be discussing it so we can put a deposit down.

If at all possible, add more time for interior touring, 3-4 days is frankly not enough time. Distances are vast and some tours have way too much time in transit compared to at the destinations. Do your homework- the more you know the better your choices will be for you. :)

Budgetqueen, you seem to have the same mindset as I do. What you seem to have that I don't is experience in Alaska. We are planning a trip to Alaska for the summer of 2007. I will most definitely be doing a one way trip taking advantage of touring the interior for at least a week before or after the cruise. As you said, how often will we be making this trip. It will be me, DH, best friend (male), and 2 DS's (they will be 6 and 15 at the time). Do you recommend doing the cruise at the beginning or end of trip? I've had people swear by both. Also, is there a cruiseline that you do recommend for this type of trip? One last question. Would you book a tour for the land portion or do it on your own? As you can probably tell, even if we do it on our own it will be thoroughly planned out. I love the planning almost as much as the trip. My friends always come to me for travel advice because I love to do the research and love to travel! When we toured Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Devils Tower, Badlands and Black Hills we did it all on our own. I planned for a year! So far, everyone agrees it was the best trip we've made. If we do decide to do it on our own, do you have any recommendations or must dos?

Thank you-

Alyson

I like southbound sailings for the scenic inside Vancouver Island sailing the last day, my preference only. Northbound is great too. :) You would want to consider a northbound if you were sailing end of May so to have the opportunity for Denali Park to be open to Fish Creek- June 1 or Wonder Lake June 8. Otherwise, it a great trip either way. :)

With a group, and with kids, I highly recommend going independent. Allows you the freedom to stop and go at your desire. There is plenty of "small" stuff to experience and enjoy in Alaska!!!

My always must dos in interior Alaska are Kenai Fjords boat tours and Denali park. My opinion only. Having a cruise that hits Seward is a bonus, but you can get to Seward to/from Whittier, if you plan carefully.

So HAL gets my first vote, then Princess, because they both include College Fjords and Glacier Bay. My priority is always to have College Fjords on a one way trip. Some lines do not.

So look at several factors- route, ports, time in ports, glacier, ship naturalist, cost, budget fully for costly excursions.

Archived