How to get from SEA airport to Pier 91? (Carnival Splendor Alaska cruise from Seattle)

likejudo

On 7/17/2022 at 9:26 PM, TheSeagoer said:

Yes and it’s with every penny. Takes you right to the porters. 

I don't understand that sentence.

I don't think I am cheap as you called me.

We give generously to people in financial need.

Hint: people who insist on spending lavishly on themselves, do not give to others (unless it is a calculated giving-to-get or just to family) and are very selfish.

When we economize on airport shuttles and save $240, we have money left over to give to others who are in genuine need. 

Edited by likejudo

A few cruises ago my wife and I were sitting out on our balcony at pier 91. We saw a lot of people walking on the Gilman trail, it runs along the waterfront from downtown. At dinner that night I was talking to our table mates and they told me they walked from Westlake Center to Pier 91, it's about 3 miles. neither of them were in very good shape to be walking 3 miles, dragging there bags. I think I'd take the link to Waestlake Center and then catch the bus out to Pier 91, a lot of people do that. The stairs on the Magnolia bridge aren't all that bad. You can also get off the bus on Elliott Ave and go across the the street and up the walk way to the Galer street flyover. Look at Google maps it shows the complete route.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Eaglecw said:

We saw a lot of people walking on the Gilman trail, it runs along the waterfront from downtown.

It’s the Elliott Bay Trail that runs from downtown to the Smith Cove Cruise Terminal.  Everybody has their line and mine would be to take a cab/uber from Westlake to the terminal for about 20 bucks. Actually, I’d take it from the airport but this thread isn’t going in that direction. Not worth the hassle of schlepping bags on a city bus although it may be the frugal option the OP is looking for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While the narrator of the above YouTube video (which is very helpful) points to a building with fish on it and says that it is the cruise terminal building - it is not.  The cruise terminal building is a quarter mile walk from the Magnolia Bridge once you are at the bottom of the stairs.

@likejudo, not sure when you arriving in Seattle for your cruise, but if you plan to arrive the day of your cruise,  it may be prudent to plan for the faster route to Pier 91 so you don't miss your ship - even if it isn't the least expensive option.

Another consideration is the vaccination status of your child.  If under the age of 12 yrs old and unvaccinated (or not fully vaccinated), the child will have to have an Covid test at the pier.  It is at a least 30 minutes wait for results (and realistically longer).  Ship sails at 4, and doors close by 3:15 pm

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

While the narrator of the above YouTube video (which is very helpful) points to a building with fish on it and says that it is the cruise terminal building - it is not.  The cruise terminal building is a quarter mile walk from the Magnolia Bridge once you are at the bottom of the stairs.

@likejudo, not sure when you arriving in Seattle for your cruise, but if you plan to arrive the day of your cruise,  it may be prudent to plan for the faster route to Pier 91 so you don't miss your ship - even if it isn't the least expensive option.

Another consideration is the vaccination status of your child.  If under the age of 12 yrs old and unvaccinated (or not fully vaccinated), the child will have to have an Covid test at the pier.  It is at a least 30 minutes wait for results (and realistically longer).  Ship sails at 4, and doors close by 3:15 pm

OK, I give up. I will book a shuttle. I will do without Wifi on the ship 🙂

If you know of any reliable and not too expensive ones, do share. 

The poster above shared one operator: capair.com

Edited by likejudo

12 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

My child is under 12 but fully vaccinated.

We are arriving at Seattle in the morning by 11 am.

But I am wondering whether prepaying for and booking a shuttle may not be the best option, if the flights are delayed as is happening these days, per the news.

What if I miss the scheduled pickup?

Then I will have to wait until whenever they decide to come back for the next pickup.

So I am back to looking at public transport....

Edited by likejudo

@likejudo, I just went back and reread the thread, partly to figure out when your cruise is - and it looks like it is this coming Tuesday 7/26.  So now I understand that you are stressed because you haven't yet decided on your transportation from Seatac to Pier 91.

You said that your flight arrives the day of your cruise at about 11 AM.  If everything went perfectly, the (jumping into an available Uber) earliest you would be at Pier 91 would be about a hour and 15 minutes later.  But in travel these days, we have to assume delays - flight problems, delays due to staffing shortages, weather delays, traffic, etc.  Unfortunately, we have no control over any of this.

Let me preface this by letting you know that Seattle is expected to experience a heat wave including this Monday & Tuesday where temperatures are expected to be around 90 degrees (and we Puget Sounders don't do well in those temps).  

Doors to the building will close between 3 -3:15 PM.  Best to arrive earlier, and the Longshore porters are gone by 2 PM.

So here are my suggestions for your day of arrival: 

If you arrive on time at SeaTac 11 AM, then by all means take the light rail to DT Seattle, and then the Metro #33 bus to the pier (get off at the Magnolia Bridge and walk down 2 flights of stairs, then an easy quarter mile walk to the terminal).  This option saves you $ and gives you your public transportation fix.

If you experience any delays, and arrive after 12 noon at SeaTac, dig deep into your pocket and just pay the $50 for an Uber.  Just do it.  It is cheaper than missing your ship.

Be forewarned that other than a pair of restrooms, there are no amenities at Pier 91.  The lines outside the building can be very long if every passengers shows up at the same time (which happens), or,  there could be very short lines, and everything moves smoothly.  Every cruise day is different.

Have your ArriveCan ready to show, as well as your paper boarding passes.

Good luck, hope your flight arrives on time, and that your cruise is everything you hope it is.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Good luck, hope your flight arrives on time, and that your cruise is everything you hope it is.

Thank you! I would have preferred to prebook a shuttle instead of Uber but I doubt they will wait if my flight is delayed (my flight AA-1240 actually comes in at 11:17 am).

There is another reason we like public transport - although it does not apply in this case - we get to experience "local" life.

When we visited Cancun, we stayed at Ramada Inn a little to the interior, not one of the resorts on the beach. We took the local buses. It was so nice to interact with the local people in Spanish, eat where locals eat, rather than get into the "insulated tourist pipeline" of resort -> excursion -> rental cars -> elite restaurant -> airport -> home.  

Edited by likejudo

4 hours ago, likejudo said:

It was so nice to interact with the local people in Spanish, eat where locals eat, rather than get into the "insulated tourist pipeline" of resort -> excursion -> rental cars -> elite restaurant -> airport -> home.

Certainly can appreciate that. 

If your flight arrives on time you will still have time to take public transportation.  Hoping that the outside embarkation line will move quickly so folks don't have to spend time in what may be 90 degree heat.  Luckily, any line outside will be in the shade with hopefully a slight sea breeze.

Please let us know how you end up getting from SeaTac to Pier 91 on Tuesday.  

On 7/23/2022 at 3:27 PM, likejudo said:

Thank you! I would have preferred to prebook a shuttle instead of Uber but I doubt they will wait if my flight is delayed (my flight AA-1240 actually comes in at 11:17 am).

There is another reason we like public transport - although it does not apply in this case - we get to experience "local" life.

When we visited Cancun, we stayed at Ramada Inn a little to the interior, not one of the resorts on the beach. We took the local buses. It was so nice to interact with the local people in Spanish, eat where locals eat, rather than get into the "insulated tourist pipeline" of resort -> excursion -> rental cars -> elite restaurant -> airport -> home.  

My experience with Premier Airport Shuttle is you enter your arriving flight information when prebooking, so they're aware if you're delayed, and will have a shuttle for you when you do arrive. I use them often to get to and from the airport. 

On 7/21/2022 at 5:54 PM, Eaglecw said:

A few cruises ago my wife and I were sitting out on our balcony at pier 91. We saw a lot of people walking on the Gilman trail, it runs along the waterfront from downtown. At dinner that night I was talking to our table mates and they told me they walked from Westlake Center to Pier 91, it's about 3 miles. neither of them were in very good shape to be walking 3 miles, dragging there bags. I think I'd take the link to Waestlake Center and then catch the bus out to Pier 91, a lot of people do that. The stairs on the Magnolia bridge aren't all that bad. You can also get off the bus on Elliott Ave and go across the the street and up the walk way to the Galer street flyover. Look at Google maps it shows the complete route.

======

Another way bus and walk from stop.  We have done this before from Elliott Ave & Galer St.  Don't know if the route is still open.   It entails some stairs to cross over the railway.   Not recommend do this with heavy luggage because of stairs.

SmithCove

Edited by SFO PETER
  • Like 1

And, to add yet another bus/walking option.  By taking the bus to the Helix Bridge at Expedia across the street from Fuji Bakery, there are elevators at the pedestrian bridge over the railroad tracks and then about ½ mile walk to the pier from there with no stairs. Or, about 1 mile if walking through the Elliott Bay Park on the water side of Expedia.

https://goo.gl/maps/WV3nPtkQ2obEPfjD7

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Glaciers said:

And, to add yet another bus/walking option.  By taking the bus to the Helix Bridge at Expedia across the street from Fuji Bakery, there are elevators at the pedestrian bridge over the railroad tracks and then about ½ mile walk to the pier from there with no stairs. Or, about 1 mile if walking through the Elliott Bay Park on the water side of Expedia.

====

Your map information is very helpful.   I will put your "walk from Helix Bridge (has elevator no stairs) " and the "walk from Elliott & Galer (has stairs)" side by side so people can choose which one  they prefer.    May need to zoom in...

Pier91GetTo

12 hours ago, SFO PETER said:

====

Your map information is very helpful.   I will put your "walk from Helix Bridge (has elevator no stairs) " and the "walk from Elliott & Galer (has stairs)" side by side so people can choose which one  they prefer.    May need to zoom in...

Pier91GetTo

do you happen to know what bus number from downtown?

18 hours ago, Glaciers said:

I think I will try this option  - thanks!

Edited by likejudo

Be careful my friend.  We have an Excessive Heat Warning today (and tomorrow) with temperatures expected at 93 degrees.  The route that you are considering has no shade.  No water fountains available outside Pier 91. 

If you do plan to walk, have water with you.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 1

@likejudo

This is just another option but not necessarily a good one.  Any transportation that includes a city bus is not the most convenient. Also, I stopped by there on the way from the store this morning and noticed a sign that indicate the elevators are down for maintenance through 9/16/22.  

Expedia Helix Bridge.JPEG

Edited by Glaciers

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2022 at 9:20 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

Be careful my friend.  We have an Excessive Heat Warning today (and tomorrow) with temperatures expected at 93 degrees.  The route that you are considering has no shade.  No water fountains available outside Pier 91. 

If you do plan to walk, have water with you.

@Ferry Watcher you were right. I say this to my shame.

I collapsed with heat stroke and had to be revived by staff and fire men at the terminal. My wife injured her foot.

The onboarding staff were very kind and I wrote a recommendation for them.

Going back home, we just took the flat rate taxi to SEA ($55) when we got off the ship.

From the airport, getting to the Monrovia was not a problem. I really thought we could do it as we had 3 carry-ons + 3 backpacks. No suitcases.

From there we were misdirected by an official-looking woman with a walkie talkie standing on the Helix bridge. She said she has seen people with bags walking along the trail to the cruise terminal.

And so we gratefully thanked her and started walking in 90 degree heat walking fast and I was carrying 2 bags and wheeling 2 carry ons.

Wrong decision.

It is tempting to think you are walking towards the ship since it is so large and appears near you. In reality, you are walking in a long loop with no access to it. 

It took a very long time. 

If anyone chooses to take public transport, DO NOT CROSS THE HELIX BRIDGE!

INSTEAD, CROSS THE ROAD AT THE PEDESTRIAN CROSSING AND WALK ALONG THE ROAD until you reach the bridge to the terminal entrance.

1. Take this train (from SEATAC)

image.thumb.jpeg.7570850840c8f01f4094914b6c9b0345.jpeg

Also @Northern Aurora @Glaciers 

2. Get off at Pioneer Square

cruise-1.jpg

3. walk to this bus stand

cruise-0.jpg

4. tell the bus driver to stop here

cruise-00.jpg

5. cross the road at the crossing but DO NOT CROSS the Helix bridge. instead, walk along the road until you reach the terminal entrance.

cruise 1.jpg

Edited by likejudo
  • Thanks 1

@likejudo OMG, I am so sorry that that had happened to you, but that you received quick medical aid and that you were able to continue with the cruise.  

Was it you, at the end of the day in front of the check-in counter?

After it happened, it became a cautionary example for all who work at the pier to watch out for heat related distress signs in both passengers and fellow employees.  The mantra during that heatwave at  Pier 91 was  'hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.  The cruise ships were asked, and did provide water ice water stations both inside and outside the terminal during the remaining days of the heat wave.

Your experience, as scary as it was, had the silver lining effect of making sure that other passengers arriving in the days after you were kept safe in the excessive heat.

Thank you my friend for updating us.  So, so glad that you are both okay and hopefully your cruise was wonderful!

• Like 1

@Glaciers, do you know if the Helix bridge is privately owned by Expedia?  Or, does the bridge connect with Expedia property on the other side and is that why they have uniformed personnel preventing folks from crossing the bridge?  I know of one Pier 91 staffer who plead their case to a bridge 'guard' to let them thru because they were running late for work, but were basically told not to do it again.  Not sure why Expedia thinks that cruise passengers hauling luggage are a threat to their property. 

I wonder what the City, or the Port of Seattle would say about this?