Bed Or Cot? Which Is It?

wizard-of-roz

:confused: Okay, Okay, I love "X", I love the service, the ambiance, the cleanliness, the food!!! What is up with the beds? We were on the Summit, deck 6, with a balcony; not the most expensive; certainly not the cheapest. I asked our steward to make two beds for us. And, we slept on COTS! I was never in the army but I know a cot when I sit on, sleep on and most importantly make love on one! Is it my imagination? No one else talks about it! Did I draw the short straw? Should I shut up? Well, before I do, please enlighten me! :rolleyes:

Happy Sails to You!

Roz

Okay! As long as it's typical. I don't remember these type of "beds" on other cruise lines. Of course, things may have changed. Our last cruise was in 1997. I'll get used to it. I'd sleep on the floor, as long as I could cruise!

Roz

Hi,

Cruise ship beds are a bit funny- and one can easly push them around but I am always glad when I have my empthy lugage put right under it. To be honest I never had a better sleep then on cruise ships. In fact it is one thing I look really foreward to when a cruise is planed, the "feeling" of the ship when in bed, That feeling, when the ships rocks a bit ( makes you feel that you are on a ship) then the noise of a ship at night.... I bet you all know what I am talking about.

Greetings

Michael

The first time I had separated beds it was on Summit in an inside. Each bed was placed with its side against the wall with the two night stands between, so there was no sliding of beds. Heaviest person was 160 lbs.

The second time it was in a concierge class. Because of the configuration of the sofa bed and desk near the balcony doors, the two single beds were, by necessity, placed with the heads of the beds against a side wall. There was no sliding. Again, heaviest occupant of the bed was 160 lbs.

Due to the smallness of the cabin, the only way I can visualize the beds moving would be to take a flying leap as a child might, to gain access to the bed!

Therefore I think that perhaps what the OP is talking about is NOT the standard double bed which has been separated, but as he said, cots. I know that on older ships when you have three in a room it states there will be a fold away bed. This must have been what they had: two fold away beds.

Anyone else have an idea?

I have heard that you can ask your cabin steward for another mattress pad or one of those egg shell pads. Is that true? I agree after a week on those beds my back really starts to hurt. If I could get an extra pad it might help.

Thanks,

Lucy

HI Lucy, We have to stop meeting like this!:D If you are in a CC cabin, you can ask for it, not too sure if just a regular cabin. BUT it doesn't hurt to ask! and I bet a few bucks would magically make it appear.

Michael, et.al: The bed moved, I swear it moved! When I looked under the bed to see what was holding it up, they were the "fold down" type of tubuler structures, that you see on cots. I too love to sleep on cruise ships.:) No matter what the bed, I definitely get lulled to sleep! Our cabin, in 2005, on the Summit, deck 6, was a handicapped room, they're a bit larger than the normal "veranda" rooms. There was lots of room for the bed to move in. We had one night stand in between our beds. I will try asking for another mattress, that may give more of a "bed" feel to the "cot!"

Happy Sails to You!;)

Roz

well, there we have it...They had roll away beds. Weird, isn't it? Maybe something broke when they tried to separate the heavier beds. Usually you have the very same bed which when put together is a double/queen size and they merely unscrew something and move them. Having 2 roll aways is strange on an M ship.

Anyone can ask for an egg crate mattresses, regardless of cat, but ask early. Don't wait for your back to start huring.

The CC cabins are supposed to have pillow top mattresses anyway, but if the beds are separated you may run into some difficulty since you can't depend upon their being a single size pillow top mattress. We had to beg for the duvets (which were too big for a single). Never did get one for the pull out sofa.

Archived