Arctic Cruise - Lindblad or Silversea?

shenanybritt123

Hi all - I'm mid 30s and looking to do a solo cruise to the Arctic next year on either Lindblad or Silversea. Same number of days, but flights are included for a bit less on Silversea. I'm curious how the expeditions work (especially kayaking) and if they're guaranteed? Also, which is better for a solo traveler my age? I've heard Silversea leans like 60s+. TIA!

I can't reply to all of your questions, but I can say that I've done three Silversea cruises (non-expedition ones) but none on Lindblad. I'm booked, however, on a Silver Cloud expedition sailing in September of 2023---Reykjavik to Halifax, with six stops in Greenland. On the Silversea cruises I've been on, the average age was definitely 60+, although I've heard that it's more like 50+ on expedition voyages. But I would expect that, due to the physical demands of expedition cruises, the typical passenger is likely to be a "young" 50+.

That sounds like an awesome itinerary! Might have to look it up and join you. I would also think the expedition ones would gear younger, or very fit older folks. I can’t imagine paying that much money just to sit on a boat and nothing else🙂

• Like 1

I have never been on Silversea, but have done five cruises on Lindblad, three of which were solo.  My two trips that had younger passengers were the bucket list cruises - Galapagos and Antarctica.  I think expedition cruises do skew toward older, just because of price and length.  They do tend to be healthy, fit seniors.  Kayaking tends to be offered once or twice per trip, if I recall.  They have a kayaking orientation and then will have a sign up sheet for the day.

Thank you! I found a different Lindblad one that I think I'm going to sign up for. Hits Svalbard, Greenland, and Iceland so I can knock it out at once. It's certainly pricey but I'd like to see everything before it melts! Is kayaking determined by water conditions or they just don't offer it a lot? I assumed it'd be most days. This cruise is 15 days so hopefully more opportunities. I'd really like to kayak amongst icebergs. 

7 hours ago, shenanybritt123 said:

Oh, also how’s the food on Lindblad? I can be somewhat picky and not always into seafood. Do they have more casual options as well? I’ll be on the Resolution, if that matters. 

The food is good, but I'm not that picky.  The food was better on the ships that are on the bigger end (I've been on Orion and Explorer), than the smaller ships (Sea Lion and Sea Bird).  I haven't been on a cruise since Covid, but prior to Covid - I believe it was buffet for breakfast, family style for lunch (like salads, sandwiches, soups - brought to the table and served at the table).  I believe for dinner, there were 3 choices of entrees, with one being vegetarian.

I haven't been on the Resolution, but on the website it says there is a place where they serve a lighter fare for lunch.

I have friends that I met on my Antarctica cruise that are tentatively booked on that Svalbard, Greenland, Iceland trip.  It looks amazing, but my life is a bit complicated at the moment, and I'm not sure I can be away for that long.

13 hours ago, shenanybritt123 said:

Is kayaking determined by water conditions or they just don't offer it a lot? I assumed it'd be most days. This cruise is 15 days so hopefully more opportunities. I'd really like to kayak amongst icebergs. 

I think determined by conditions and also if they can get the ship parked in a protected area.  Hiking is really the main activity offered most days.

3 hours ago, califsealion said:

I think determined by conditions and also if they can get the ship parked in a protected area.  Hiking is really the main activity offered most days.

Got it. As long as I get one iceberg kayak day in, I’ll be good. Thanks for the food info too! Sorry you won’t be able to join 😞 maybe I’ll get to meet your friends though. Just booked this afternoon!

I've been on one Lindblad Cruise to Alaska last year, with another one coming up in September. I am not that fit at all, and really enjoyed it!

Haven't tried kayaking yet, which I am going to try this time. I enjoyed the food on the Sea Lion. All food was served, which I think has changed since Covid.

• Like 1