Gouda Cheese

bgomes

We will be coming to Curacao, Aruba and Bonaire in December and are wanting to buy some Gouda cheese.  My favorite is the medium Belegen (spelling?).  I can do the regular Gouda if availability and price is better.  Where is the best place to buy some and what can I expect to pay for a wheel?

Can't tell you the wheel price but go to one of the local groceries not the tourist section.  Carrefour in the Sambil Mall is one of the largest.  Centrum is another. We bought what totaled around 4 pounds of gouda and edam and paid less than US$15.  We bought wedges but they had several cheese brands.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Can't tell you the wheel price but go to one of the local groceries not the tourist section.  Carrefour in the Sambil Mall is one of the largest.  Centrum is another. We bought what totaled around 4 pounds of gouda and edam and paid less than US$15.  We bought wedges but they had several cheese brands.   

Yummo!! That sounds wonderful, throw in a tight glass of Chardonnay(Napa Valley preferably) and your da chit!! 

Count me in on that next time I'm on the island. Appreciate ya!!😉...........😁😉

3 hours ago, pamkev said:

I'm sure a stupid question gonna ask anyways how do you get it home doesn't it have to stay refrigerated? I would love to bring some home 

It was wrapped.  We kept it in the cabin's refrigerator.  We drove home so easy to carry.

5 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

It was wrapped.  We kept it in the cabin's refrigerator.  We drove home so easy to carry.

Thanks I have to fly home while only a 2 and half hour flight not going to take the chance

I have bought the cheese on previous trips.  We also need to fly home, 3 hour flight, plus airport wait time and then 1 hour drive home from airport.  Never had a problem except the cheese usually gets a little smushed.

9 hours ago, bgomes said:

I have bought the cheese on previous trips.  We also need to fly home, 3 hour flight, plus airport wait time and then 1 hour drive home from airport.  Never had a problem except the cheese usually gets a little smushed.

Thanks

A few years ago, we were in Aruba and came home with a couple wheels. It was like $22 for a 15 lb wheel. And since it was the full wheel, with the wax rind, refrigeration wasn’t needed. 

• 5 weeks later...