The Dress Code and Those Who Disregard it

chicagolass

I agree with Char that the word "informal" in the dress code context is meant to express semi-formal (the precise word.) According to any good dictionary the prefix-- semi--means partially/part/partly/half.i.e. partly formal. There is a portion of the formal included.

Thus, Informal is the wrong word used. It miscommunicates the true meaning. Whereas "casual" means informal/relaxed.

In the interest of clear communication, it seems that Celebrity should use precise language in the dress code statements. Words should mean what they say and say what they mean.

On the issue of people who disregard the dress code, my sympathy lies with the representatives of Celebrity and with the cruisers. Human history proves that good manners and good taste cannot be legislated. The controversy on such ethics rages on: Can such virtues be taught or must they be inbred and instilled at a mother's knee?

It seems that Celebrity tries hard to keep these troublesome people in check by posting the dress code in its brochures, ads, dailies, etc. It works.They are few in number. At the same time, the company and its crew face the reality of having to accept behavior that they cannot change. Their true concern is geared to the good of the majority of the people aboard ship rather than to the ill-mannered minority. It's the only civil thing to do. It seems that we need to do the same and move on. It's the only civilized way to go.

Thank you to one and all for the valuable comments and for the fun ones.Roll on my first cruise with Celebrity to the Med.10/06/06.

1953 Cunard Queen Elisabeth 1, '55 Saxonia, '56 Carinthia,

'59 Sun Princess, '94 Renaissance 11, 2005 Imperial Majesty,

'06 Celebrity Galaxy.

Chicagoglass, this must be your lucky day - no one's gotten into the "suggested/required" debate nor has anyone called you names or told you to take your cruise business elsewhere. Darn, don't you just hate it when responses are logical, civil and humorours rather than self-serving, aggressive and abusive?

I'm asking this next question out of spirit of inquiry, not to be self-serving, aggressive, or abusive:

Why is it that pointing someone to another line that they might like better is such a bad thing to do?

I know that sometimes when people say "try another line" the person who it is directed at assumes they mean go to some "lesser" line, but that is a bad assumption to make. For instance, Oceania is well-known to have gorgeous ships (comparable to Ritz-Carleton hotels), great food (menu designed by Jaques Pepin) and no formal nights. So, if someone sufficiently despises the requests of Celebrity regarding the dress code, then why not try something else that is of similar or better quality but doesn't have the dress code?

What I'm getting at is that some people take "try another" line way too personally, and also assume it means go to (dare I say it) Carnival, and that is certainly not the case. There are other really good lines without formal nights. I believe that Sea Dream also has no formal nights.

So, why do people take this suggestion as such a mean and nasty negative? For instance, if someone was complaining to me that JetBlue had no nonstop service to where they wanted to go, and if I knew of an alternative that did, I'd suggest they try it. That's all this suggestion is about: it's all a matter of sharing information, and not meant to kick people out of a certain line.

Now, I know this suggestion can be made in a nasty way, but it isn't always, and I'd like to know if it's even possible for people to realize when it isn't being suggested in a nasty way.

Also, the suggestion goes both ways! If someone really thinks Celebrity has gone to the dogs, they could try other lines too. Cunard comes to mind, as does Hapag-Lloyd (or whoever it is who has the Europa).

I always think that there is something for everyone if people just get the information they need to find it...there are a gazillion cruise ships out there, it all doesn't just begin and end with the "Big Seven" most commonly marketed lines (HAL, Celebrity, Carnival, Costa, NCL, RCCL and Princess). I'm still looking for the right line for my husband and I, and none of the "Big Seven" are it. He hates formality and despises dressing for dinner, and I love all that stuff and want excellent food and service. He really finds the whole "resort" cruise ship experience to be silly -- he'd rather be on some adventure vessel tracking whale migration. Celebrity is not for us when we travel together. However, when I travel with my mom, Celebrity has been very very good for us in terms of price/performance value -- that's why we keep coming back. We like the ships, the food, the service, and have met nice people. (Although I am thinking of trying something different for our 2008 trip, just because it's time to try something else.)

Why is it that pointing someone to another line that they might like better is such a bad thing to do?

Leela, I think a lot of it has to do with how people refer people to another line. A lot of people seem to do it just to gleefully bash NCL and Carnival.

I love Celebrity's M-class ships, and NCCL's Radiance class ships. I've also cruised on SeaDream, which has no formal nights, but I liked the above-listed ships better.

I have never cruised on Carnival, but quite a few of my friends have. One of my best friends, who swears he will never cruise on any line except Carnival, is 59 years old, does not drink, does not curse, does not gamble and he and his wife are extremely conservative, but they love Carnival.

I suspect a lot of the Carnival bashers have never even sailed on that line.

So, I don't think the referral to another ship itself is "bad", but the snotty way some people do it just to bash other cruise lines isn't fair or "right".

Allen

Allen - absolutely it is all in how it is done. I think some people are sincere and then the person it is directed at takes it all wrong. It's that email tone thing again.

Speaking of....I am still working on your other 23 hours and 58 minutes. I have some ideas but they all involve you sending me money so I can go on more cruises and I can't see you doing that for a total stranger no matter how simpatico we may be on some subjects. :)

It seems that we need to do the same and move on. It's the only civilized way to go.

Than why post this.

Ill-mannered because they don't care to dress the way you would like???

The controversy on such ethics rages on: Can such virtues be taught or must they be inbred and instilled at a mother's knee?

Inbred and instilled?????????? All this because they dress different from you. Didn't you ever hear the old saying,"Don't judge a book by its cover.

I go on vacation to relax and enjoy myself not to watch what everyone is wearing or doing. This is my vacation and celebrity has not asked me to play dress police so why should what others wear annoy me. I dress up on formal night beause I want too not because it might make you happy.

Sorry, I just don't understand why what others wear is such a big deal.

Quote: Ill-mannered because they don't care to dress the way you would like???

Umm, no. It has nothing to do with the way YOU would like them to dress, but everything to do with how your hosts (ie Celebrity) want you to dress and therefore setting a standard for others to follow so that no-one is offended. I said it here yesterday evening, but a lot of posts were deleted on another thread of the same ilk, if I was asked to dress a certain way (not told, but asked) then I'll do it so as to conform with what my host requests and that doesn't matter if it was going to a friends house, a general party or a cruise. Why would I want to go in something different? No guidance has been given to me about that.

Phil

Allen - absolutely it is all in how it is done. I think some people are sincere and then the person it is directed at takes it all wrong. It's that email tone thing again.

Speaking of....I am still working on your other 23 hours and 58 minutes. I have some ideas but they all involve you sending me money so I can go on more cruises and I can't see you doing that for a total stranger no matter how simpatico we may be on some subjects. :)

No problem, Wolfie. I've got a mayonnaise jar full of pennies in the kitchen. I'll count them and see if there are enough for a cruise for you. It may take awhile, though, since I forgot to take the mayonnaise out of the jar before I started stuffing it with pennies. :o

Allen

Thanks for the input. Please see the big picture. It's not about following

my rules, but it is about respecting Celebrity's policy on dress as I do.

It's not about dressing up or down to please me or other fellow passengers, but it is about dressing to fit the occasion. It's not always about what we wear, but it is about where and when we wear it.

That's life.

Here, I refer to those very few fellow passengers who carry things to such an unacceptable extreme in their dress at the wrong time and in the wrong place that it offends the other passengers and subjects the crew to unnecessary complaints on the job.

Such behavior would be unacceptable on any cruise ship.

Simply put, Celebrity's dress code asks that clothes fit the occasion whether it be formal or semi-formal in the dining room in the evening, or casual by the pool in the afternoon, or when visiting a church in port. It offers the guidelines and sets the boundaries. Not I.

To me, it seems good manners and in good taste to follow them and I do.

You disagree? Very well. Let's agree to disagree in a civil manner.

Chicagolass.

On our 2/13 Galaxy cruise, DW was shocked to read that thongs were not acceptable dress for formal tea. Were the underwear police going to be checking for that uncomfortable form of underwear? After some discussion, we decided that they were referring to the particular style of sandals that we call "flip-flops". Whew!

On our 2/13 Galaxy cruise, DW was shocked to read that thongs were not acceptable dress for formal tea. Were the underwear police going to be checking for that uncomfortable form of underwear? After some discussion, we decided that they were referring to the particular style of sandals that we call "flip-flops". Whew!

I enjoyed your post because I am old enough to remember when flip flops were called thongs :)

I remember when they were called "Zories"! :eek:

We had Zora the sandal maker in St Thomas in the 60's. I thought it was her name, but now realize "Zora" must be a root word meaning sandal? Do you know what language?

is this thread going to divert to whether men should be clean shaven or allowed to have beards or long hair? Depending upon when you grew up and rebelled against the particularly strict dress/hair code, you probably have a different idea of what is okay and what is not than does your cabin neighbor. But thankfully, I 've not heard any complaints along those personal grooming lines.

Archived