Moussaka Anyone? While in Greece

ajtraveler66

We are looking at a cruise for 2023 that will port in Athens, Santorini, Corfu, and Mykonos.

I love Moussaka and would like to have an actual Greek serving of it while in Greece.  Since Athens is so historical, I doubt we'll seek it out while there.  So.... has anyone been on an excursion focusing on food in either of the other three islands -- Santorini, Corfu, Mykonos?  

Food would not have to be limited to the moussaka.  Domaldes and saganaki aren't bad either.

Finding Moussaka in Greece is like finding pasta in Italy!  It is everywhere.  One hardly needs a tour to enjoy food on any of those three islands.  The major cities on each island is relatively easy to access from a cruise ship.  In Corfu, the major town (and hundreds of restaurants)  are within walking distance of the pier.  In Santorini you can just take the cable car up to Fira where you have your choice of many eating venues although we do strongly suggest also visiting Oia.  As to Mykonos, depending whether you tender or dock the major city is at the tender pier or you may need a shuttle bus (or taxi) from the cruise ship pier into town (it is walkable but using a vehicle is a better option),

The thing about these major tourist islands is you will find nearly every menu in English, most folks speak/understand English, and you can do lots of pre-trip homework online.

Hank

Don't limit yourselves to the "standards" - moussaka, saganaki, dolmades.  There is a lot more to Greek cookery than what is found in US restaurants.  Each island has local specialties that you can add to your meal as appetizers or to try as main courses.  For example, Santorini is famous for its tomato fritters (tomatokeftedes).  Do a little research on the internet, such as "Mykonos food specialties."  

For wine, you can order a carafe or a half carafe of local wine.  Your choices are bound to be "white" or "red," but they will be drinkable and inexpensive.  You can always order by the bottle if you want to upgrade.  Good local beers are Mythos and Alfa.

Don't bother with a food tour.  It would be a waste of time and money.  

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Finding Moussaka in Greece is like finding pasta in Italy!  It is everywhere.  One hardly needs a tour to enjoy food on any of those three islands.  The major cities on each island is relatively easy to access from a cruise ship.  In Corfu, the major town (and hundreds of restaurants)  are within walking distance of the pier.  In Santorini you can just take the cable car up to Fira where you have your choice of many eating venues although we do strongly suggest also visiting Oia.  As to Mykonos, depending whether you tender or dock the major city is at the tender pier or you may need a shuttle bus (or taxi) from the cruise ship pier into town (it is walkable but using a vehicle is a better option),

The thing about these major tourist islands is you will find nearly every menu in English, most folks speak/understand English, and you can do lots of pre-trip homework online.

Hank

You mention that it is important to go to Oia.  Yes, I've seen the pictures, and I would have to agree.  There is an excursion through the ship that includes music, food, etc....and they go to Oia.  Would it be adviseable to take the tour? The reason I ask is that we plan to go in 2023 on the NCL Breakaway ... and it is a large ship.  Seems to me that having 'reservations' through the ship might be a good, but pricey, idea since so many will be at port at the time. Your thoughts appreciated.  (This is not a food tour....this is a 'regular' tour....and the food would just be a part of the tour).

Really good question.  If you have read other threads about Santorini you probably have some understanding of the logistical problems with moving lots of folks up and down the cable car.  If you take the ship's excursion they tender you ashore to the small ferry port of Athinios where you are loaded onto buses.  Going on your own means you must wait your turn to get a tender to the small pier area just under Fira.  But they do use large island tenders.  Once off the tender it is usually possible to get a local tour from the same pier area that includes a small boat over to another pier just below Oia.  From there you can either walk or take a van up to Oia.  Later, when you are ready to leave Oia you would catch a bus (included in the local tour) that takes you back to Fira.   

The biggest hassle is when everyone from the Breakaway (and possibly some other ships) needs to get down to the pier (below Fira) to get a tender back to your ship.  That cable car only moves 600 persons per hour (in each direction).  The only other way down is to walk (all downhill with many steps) being careful not to step in any donkey poo.

Most excursions do give folks some time on their own in Oia and when you get dropped back at Fira you would also be able to go off on your own.  Going ashore on your own gives you more control over your time...but you do need to manage everything on your own.   There is no right or wrong...it is just a matter of personal preference.

Hank

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 10:27 PM, Hlitner said:

Really good question.  If you have read other threads about Santorini you probably have some understanding of the logistical problems with moving lots of folks up and down the cable car. 

The biggest hassle is when everyone from the Breakaway (and possibly some other ships) needs to get down to the pier (below Fira) to get a tender back to your ship.  That cable car only moves 600 persons per hour (in each direction).  The only other way down is to walk (all downhill with many steps) being careful not to step in any donkey poo.

Unless you are mobility challenged, I wouldn't worry about the cable car.  It is an easy walk up the stairs (just 600 stairs), and even easier and faster down.  

As far as stepping in donkey poop goes, that is just normal part of being outdoors.  It happens.  Just stomp it off when you get to the bottom so that you don't track it onto the ship.

On 7/22/2022 at 11:19 PM, ajtraveler66 said:

I love Moussaka and would like to have an actual Greek serving of it while in Greece.  Since Athens is so historical, I doubt we'll seek it out while there.  So.... has anyone been on an excursion focusing on food in either of the other three islands -- Santorini, Corfu, Mykonos?  

it is unfortunate that the ship that we were on did not serve any Greek food; just the same food that the ship serves regardless where it is.

Given that Santorini, Corfu, and Mykonos are extremely touristy places, and you'll have limited time on each, maybe you may want to arrive a day or two earlier and hit some of the restaurants in Athens that serve mostly the locals.

Good luck!

7 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

Unless you are mobility challenged, I wouldn't worry about the cable car.  It is an easy walk up the stairs (just 600 stairs), and even easier and faster down.  

As far as stepping in donkey poop goes, that is just normal part of being outdoors.  It happens.  Just stomp it off when you get to the bottom so that you don't track it onto the ship.

ROFL.  Easy walk?  We are talking about many cruise ship passengers who use an elevator to go down one floor, whine if they must walk the length of a ship, etc.  I am a pretty good walker (routinely walk 8-10 miles for exercise) but I do not consider that walk an "easy walk."   I will confess that even though we have been to Santorini about a dozen times on ships, we have never hiked up those steps.  We did walk down, once upon a time, but these days we do prefer the cable car.

Hank

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

ROFL.  Easy walk?  We are talking about many cruise ship passengers who use an elevator to go down one floor, whine if they must walk the length of a ship, etc.  I am a pretty good walker (routinely walk 8-10 miles for exercise) but I do not consider that walk an "easy walk."   I will confess that even though we have been to Santorini about a dozen times on ships, we have never hiked up those steps.  We did walk down, once upon a time, but these days we do prefer the cable car.

Hank

Well, we are in late 50s, not athletic by any means, and we found it an easy stroll up.  But to each his own.  

• Like 1