Any one been to Katakalon on the cruise? What to do...?...

Any one been to Katakalon on the cruise? Just wondering what to do on the stop. For some reason its a late arrival, and only have 6hrs in port. I've looked on the TUI excursions, and seen a beach which is 30m away, and a bike tour.

Anyone does any of these? Wonder why its this beach as seems there is closer ones.

It doesn't state what or where you go on the bike tour, is it worth it?

thanks

Hi MrLLL 

Went to Katakolo this year. 1 horse town with a few Novelty  type shops. There is a beach in the area which is about 30 mins from the town (we would call this a village) as for the bike tours, afraid I can't help you on that one. 

We did the the ships tour to Olympia. Great place if your into that sort of thing. Have to agree with Rebel Rouser, Katakolon is a one street town, 10 minutes and its done.

• Like 1

Ancient Olympia is 17 miles as the crow flies from Katakolon so an excursion there is very viable. There is an extensive museum and cafe and the actual stadium bits. I made an unsuccessful attempt at the world slowest 100 metre record. There is also a long beach in town but as you say one horse, On my next visit i will take another excursion to olympia.

The olympic games were an all male event and the competitors were naked. The honorary goddess of the games and her handmaidens observed the games. I imagine making lots of 'amusing' remarks about the men and trying not to giggle. 😉

• Like 1

Katakolon is a nice place to get off the ship and relax at one of the beaches, The beach cafes let you use their sun beds and brollies for free if you buy food or drinks from them.

A decent chill out day.😉

Thanks all. So as its only a 6hr stop over, I think its a case of get off ship for a little walk to the "one street" cafes/shops and chill, or a trip to Olympia then, and that would have to be a tour, as don't think the bike tour would go that far.

Katakolon is for Olympia, plain & simple.

https://www.katakolon-express.com/katakolon/ Rent a car (good value for four), or book on the Katakolon Express coach, or ship's tour (ships' tours are always over-priced but Marella's are consistently better value than others').  

There's a naff beach and, as Rebel Rouser's post,  one street in Katakolon, and nothing / nowhere in range that we've ever found worthwhile other than Olympia

JB 🙂 

Have been to Katakolon a couple of times and went to Olympia on my first visit which I enjoyed. If not going to Olympia Katakolon is nice for a relaxing stroll and to enjoy a browse in the little shops and a coffee and cake in one of the cafes.