How to Request Wheelchair for Embarkation in Seattle

Sparky74

Can I request a wheelchair for embarkation on the HAL website? I feel I should be able to but can’t where to do it. 

Some background:

We are experienced Australian cruisers and this is not our first overseas trip. DW has been having ankle issues for ten months and now has been prescribed a moon boot. Hopefully this will be fitted in the next day or two. She MIGHT be out of it before we fly to the USA in 31 days time but I’m not counting on it so I’m organising a wheelchair at the airports and want to do the same for embarkation at Seattle. We’re sailing to Alaska on the Eurodam, embarking in Seattle on 27th August. DW should be fine once we’re on the ship but I’m concerned about her having to stand in line for any length of time during the embarkation process. 

We may need to adjust our shore excursions. The Bike and Hike excursion we’ve booked for Sitka will need to be changed but hopefully the rest of the excursions will still work. Are we better to try to change this excursion now or wait until we’re onboard?

Edited by Sparky74
Clarification

I did this for a Vancouver departure: I emailed GuestAccessibility@hollandamerica.com and got a very quick reply with a link to the form: https://book.hollandamerica.com/specialServices/login.action

In my case, I'm making arrangements for elderly parents. We have shore excursion credits and I plan to speak with them onboard about what might work; I'm hoping their staff will be more knowledgeable about the specific tours than me trying to figure it out now. My folks may just want to sit on the veranda and enjoy the scenery anyway!

Good luck with everything - enjoy your cruise! We can't wait to see Alaska.

• Thanks 1

Basically, when you arrive at Pier 91 in Seattle, ask one of the shore side staff to either direct you to where the wheelchair attendants are, or the staff person will find a supervisor with a walkie-talkie and call a wheelchair for you.

Wheelchairs are first come/first served.  Sometimes there is a wait.  It depends on demand, and if it is during the busy time of day.  The wheelchairs are used by both Holland America and princess passengers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Kirsten T said:

I did this for a Vancouver departure: I emailed GuestAccessibility@hollandamerica.com and got a very quick reply with a link to the form: https://book.hollandamerica.com/specialServices/login.action

In my case, I'm making arrangements for elderly parents. We have shore excursion credits and I plan to speak with them onboard about what might work; I'm hoping their staff will be more knowledgeable about the specific tours than me trying to figure it out now. My folks may just want to sit on the veranda and enjoy the scenery anyway!

Good luck with everything - enjoy your cruise! We can't wait to see Alaska.

Thanks. I clicked on the link you posted and ticked the box to request a wheelchair for embarkation. 

Thanks, @Ferry_Watcher, I’ll ask when we arrive at Pier 91 and I'll make sure we get there early, just to be on the safe side. Thanks also for the link in case we need to hire something to take with us. I think (and certainly hope) it won’t come to that. 🤞

I'll add that the HAL staff are super nice about people who can't stand in the embarkation line. My mom and I went on an Alaska cruise after she'd hurt her back, couldn't stand for lengths of time, and needed a cane. We never even thought to contact the accessibility folks, but the HAL staff at embarkation noticed that I was holding a place in line while my mom sat nearby and instead had us go to a special boarding area for passengers with disabilities. We didn't have to wait to board at all and just got to go straight on.

• Like 1