Live from the Encore July 24-31

YVRteacher

While the weather was poor for a lot of the trip and very, very foggy, the only rough seas we experienced were on the first evening when the captain had the ship going really fast.  The Encore is a large, stable ship and you don’t feel movement as much as on the smaller ships. At no time were the barf bags strapped to the stair railings.

• Like 2

@YVRteacher loved your posts about this cruise. We board the Encore tomorrow on the same itinerary and as first time cruisers your posts tied up a lot of the unknowns we’d been looking for regarding shows and activities. Coincidently was down in Seattle with the drone on your departure day - who knows you maybe in it!

Edited by seachaz
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, seachaz said:

@YVRteacher loved your posts about this cruise. We board the Encore tomorrow on the same itinerary and as first time cruisers your posts tied up a lot of the unknowns we’d been looking for regarding shows and activities. Coincidently was down in Seattle with the drone on your departure day - who knows you maybe in it!

I hope you have a fabulous vacation!  Your footage of the Encore is amazing!  We watched the sailaway from the Haven sundeck on the Starboard side and I think I see us in your video!! (I screenshot and zoomed.)

Little update:

I have been so sick since disembarking.  I have the worst sore throat I’ve ever had and a dry cough that hurts.  I’ve tested repeatedly for Covid and they all show negative.  To the couple dining in the main dining room with horrible coughs, you should have ordered room service!

My dad is totally fine.  Well, he’s still grumpy, but he’s not sick.  

I’m still weighing the pros and cons of the Haven and will do more of a write-up when I feel better.  

Spoiler alert=reader, she did not like the Haven.

• Like 2

Dad story for the day.

We have a place on Vancouver Island in Parksville and were driving here on Friday.  Since having a stroke my dad can’t drive anymore.  He loved driving so this is a huge change.

People tend to come off the ferry and zoom along the highway, heading north to beach paradise.  At one point my dad said “the speed limit is 80 (meaning 80 km/hour) and you’re doing 87 and people are passing you!”

I braked slightly and said “I’m doing 80 now.”

He said, “I did NOT tell you to slow down!!!”

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Maybe you could ask your question somewhere else.  

Are you really from Canada with that response? I'd more say my NYC...your post, your rules, but wow. 

@maggieworkman here's a thread you can read/follow/ask questions on to get you off the OP's post (since she definitely doesn't want you here): 

Have a great sailing! 

• 3 weeks later...

I’m heading back on the Encore for the week of August 28-September 4 for a solo trip.

I just booked yesterday, so can’t check in online as it is within 72 hours of sailing.  This makes me nervous as I am a type A planner.

The prices posted online were pretty high so I phoned the number provided by NCL for the Diamond Latitudes upgrade. My intent was to book an oceanview then upgrade to a balcony.  However, the amazing agent (she was truly wonderful!) compared the prices she could get me as a solo traveller and they were all within a couple hundred dollars so we decided that it would make more sense to use the upgrade another time and just book the balcony.  I did not pay a solo supplement. Yay!

I am so excited to experience the Encore from a regular balcony cabin instead of the Haven.

• Like 6

I just saw your live review this weekend. Will you be doing another live review this cruise? I love reading your very entertaining reviews as you are an amazing writer.  Have a great time!  We loved our Alaska cruise on the Encore in August 2021. It was fitting to return to the Encore as it was the last cruise we did in Feb 20 before Covid. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 4:11 AM, YVRteacher said:

and this evening he said they don’t make Levis jeans the way they used to.  

FWIW, this is actually a true statement.  I am a lifelong wearer of Levis and a few years back I noticed a change.  I asked Levi Strauss about it and after pushing them a bit, they acknowledged that they changed the material they are using resulting a different jean than what they had been selling.

This was a great report and I look forward to the next one.  We're on the Encore in November, so, love hearing about this ship.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 5:41 AM, PATRLR said:

FWIW, this is actually a true statement.  I am a lifelong wearer of Levis and a few years back I noticed a change.  I asked Levi Strauss about it and after pushing them a bit, they acknowledged that they changed the material they are using resulting a different jean than what they had been selling.

This was a great report and I look forward to the next one.  We're on the Encore in November, so, love hearing about this ship.

Levis....noticed the same....after decades of being a fan of their jeans.  That caused me to look for other brands and settled on Lee Jeans.  Tough to find, but well worth it.  They fit better and last forever.

• Like 1