Experienced cruisers, Oceania newbies

150edmiston

Hi everyone,  as the title says we've completed a variety of cruises on a number of lines,  the last 6 or 7 having been with Azamara.  We've booked Insignia next summer as we love the R class ships.  A couple of questions on F&B if you don't mind.........

On AZ,  there is what's called the Mosaic Cafe which offers a selection of daily pastries, sandwiches etc.  We usually grab a few items,  a couple of drinks and chill on the veranda with a book before dinner.  Is there anything like this on Insignia?  I see there is afternoon tea every day,  but can you request this (or something like this) as a 'takeaway'?  We are very relaxed and the thought of getting changed out of shorts and flip flops to get a sandwich puts me off.

Alcoholic Drinks.  The basic beverage package says 'drinks served with meals in restaurants',  unless you upgrade to the top package which is then free pour.  Is this policy adhered to?  Can you get a drink from the daily selection next to the pool for instance?  On AZ you can get a cocktail, beer or whatever pretty much any time you want,  so just trying to draw some comparisons.   

On the same subject...... the wine package.  How does that work?  You buy a minimum of 7 bottles which you can presumably request whenever suits.  I assume like other lines if you don't finish the bottle you can request it the following evening / day,  and is this only available with meals in restaurants?

Many thanks.  David

2 hours ago, 150edmiston said:

Hi everyone,  as the title says we've completed a variety of cruises on a number of lines,  the last 6 or 7 having been with Azamara.  We've booked Insignia next summer as we love the R class ships.  A couple of questions on F&B if you don't mind.........

On AZ,  there is what's called the Mosaic Cafe which offers a selection of daily pastries, sandwiches etc.  We usually grab a few items,  a couple of drinks and chill on the veranda with a book before dinner.  Is there anything like this on Insignia?  I see there is afternoon tea every day,  but can you request this (or something like this) as a 'takeaway'?  We are very relaxed and the thought of getting changed out of shorts and flip flops to get a sandwich puts me off.

There is Barristas  that have coffee & snacks  until 6pm

Waves  until 4 pm

Terrace Cafe  until 2pm

Shorts are fine for tea  you can grab a plate of snacks & take where you want ..no swim wear 

Alcoholic Drinks.  The basic beverage package says 'drinks served with meals in restaurants',  unless you upgrade to the top package which is then free pour.  Is this policy adhered to?  Can you get a drink from the daily selection next to the pool for instance?  On AZ you can get a cocktail, beer or whatever pretty much any time you want,  so just trying to draw some comparisons.   

The basic beverage package  O Life  perk  is  Wine by the glass, beer & Champagne by the glass  at lunch & dinner ONLY

You can upgrade for $20 pd pp to get  the Prestige package once onboard

On the same subject...... the wine package.  How does that work?  You buy a minimum of 7 bottles which you can presumably request whenever suits.  I assume like other lines if you don't finish the bottle you can request it the following evening / day,  and is this only available with meals in restaurants?

Many thanks.  David

The 7 bottle package  they will have a list of wines  available  on each sailing the list can differ

You can choose the 7 you want & yes they will be available  in the dining venues  or you could have  some sent to your cabin

They will store  unused bottles  for when you request them

Check the FAQ  for more information

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/

• Like 3

LHT28 pretty much covered it. The only thing I'd add is that there is room service all day. Even the basic room service menu has some nice items...our favorite was the Mezza (sp?) platter...typical pita, hummus, olives, etc. which makes a nice lunch substitute or pre-dinner snack.

• Like 1

I, too, will be a “newbie” next year.  I do not have a large appetite, but I am assuming that I can order smaller portions.  Am I right?  Frankly, I am wondering whether going on a foodie cruise is a good fit for me.  Although I think I will appreciate great food in small doses.

2 minutes ago, escrick said:

I, too, will be a “newbie” next year.  I do not have a large appetite, but I am assuming that I can order smaller portions.  Am I right?  Frankly, I am wondering whether going on a foodie cruise is a good fit for me.  Although I think I will appreciate great food in small doses.

You can order half portions of whatever you like. We do it frequently in the Specialties.

3 minutes ago, escrick said:

Yes, I think it is very possible to request any entrée in an appetizer portion, meaning just a smaller plate or a smaller serving. I probably ought to try to do this more often, haven’t tried it yet, but many have posted regarding the smaller serving option. Just be clear when you place your order.

20 minutes ago, escrick said:

I usually get an appy & the main course  & dessert of course  but yes  just ask for smaller portions or just eat what you want  & leave the rest

I prefer to get smaller portions & not waste food

YMMV

Thanks for all the feedback.  I, too, do not like wasting food.  Appetiser size or half size will be the solution.   I guess I was mainly wondering whether cruising made sense for me these days; however, great food is not the only benefit on such a trip.

5 hours ago, escrick said:

Thanks for all the feedback.  I, too, do not like wasting food.  Appetiser size or half size will be the solution.   I guess I was mainly wondering whether cruising made sense for me these days; however, great food is not the only benefit on such a trip.

I always ask the waiter how large  the portion is  before I downsize    somethings  the portions are not large  at all 

If you have not done so already have a look at The Preismans blog   he posts a lot of photos of the food  it will give you an idea of portion sizes

https://www.thepreismans.com/riviera_21.htm

Only you can decide if cruising is for you now