Communication on Oasis without Wifi

17 minutes ago, hazeleyes46 said:

4 years ago we went on the Anthem and I was able to communicate back and forth with my husband on the ship's App.

You either misremeber what app you used or on a different ship.  I don't think the chat function was  available within the app 4 years ago on Anthem. What did work 4 years ago were some other apps without the use of paid Wifi - that has since been plugged and no longer works.

Just now, hazeleyes46 said:

How do you pay for that then? Just start using and it automatically gets charged to your account?

It's an option within the app - three dots in the upper right corner of the screen. It will lead you through steps to set it up.

1 hour ago, Magicat said:

Or go old school and use radios.  Still see some people and kids using them.  

Yeah I have seen those in the past. Trying not to carry more than I need to around and kids are adults so they probably wouldn't want those either. 

11 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

There's always the dry erase magnet boards

True. Years ago when my kids were younger, daughter 11, she would write a note saying going here or there. NEVER a time though so you had no clue when she left the note. SMH lol

6 minutes ago, Project-College said:

is the CHAT feature available the second you get on the ship or only once it sails?  (am pretty sure the boys will ditch us as soon as they can)

Good question as I am sure my 24 year old will be gone in a blink too lol

1 hour ago, Magicat said:

Or go old school and use radios.  Still see some people and kids using them.  

We attempted to bring walkie-talkies last week on Oasis, but the ship was just too big and with all those floors and steel, they didn’t work. We didn’t bother with the app, as people have said that there’s no “ping” when you receive a message, so unless you know you’re each actively trying to talk to the other, it can be missed. We ended up just making meeting times to be back in the room, and leaving notes if any plans changed.

1 hour ago, Project-College said:

is the CHAT feature available the second you get on the ship or only once it sails?  (am pretty sure the boys will ditch us as soon as they can)

Yes, but you'll have land based cell service till about an hour after sail away. Also, don't count on the chat in the app to work as other apps - there are no notification as you know them.

Edited by Biker19

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, but you'll have land based cell service till about an hour after sail away. Also, don't count on the chat in the app to work as other apps - there are no notification as you know them.

Thanks 🙂

You can always tell the newbie cruisers because they're the ones shouting into a walkie-talkie on Day 1. By Day 3 you don't see walkie-talkies anywhere, because they just don't work.

When our (now-adult) children were smaller, we used cruises as "trust tests" and the kids passed wonderfully. We acknowledged the vacation was as much theirs as it is ours, and that the last thing they wanted was for Mom & Dad to be in their ear all week. We simply stuck a magnetic white-board to the cabin wall (ships are made of steel!), and had a policy that mandated any change of venue required a note to be left on the message-board. So, if after breakfast they went off to the Kid's Club, but then went to the pool at 11:30, we expected them to leave a note with the time and the new location. Same for Mom & Dad! This way, a quick run to the cabin and one could get a family member's location easily. We still do this, after 10 years and almost as many cruises.