Cruise with Confidence Penalty Fees

I spent a good half hour on the phone with Royal Caribbean with regard to their cruise with confidence and penalty fees.

My situation.

I reserved a cruise with a July 2022 departure date around Thanksgiving (late November) 2021 for two cabins and four travelers.  The cabins were not linked in the reservation system.  12/30/21 I cancelled one cabin.  1/15/22- about two weeks later I can cancelled the second cabin when I realized only half of my reservation was cancelled.  I put down a $1000 deposit- $250 for each traveller.  I am now ready to cruise and I find out that I have a $100 'penalty fee' for the two travelers cancelled 12/30/2021.  There was no penalty for the reservations cancelled two weeks later on 1/15/2022.  Royal Caribbean would only say that the program was 'modified' 1/1/2022.  My words not theirs because it made absolutely no sense.  If I cancelled  the first two travelers two days later then I would not have a penalty.  Again their words.   Can anyone shed any light on this?  I would expect the reservations cancelled later to have less of a refund than the ones cancelled sooner.  All reservations were cancelled more than 6 months before sailing. 

I am going to use my credits but I feel like a minnow swimming in the shark tank.  I have absolutely no trust doing business with RC. I assumed cruise with confidence meant that I could book a cruise and be treated fairly.

Any idea of who to complain to?  I talked to a customer service supervisor which was the 'highest' level I could talk to.  He suggested I send an email to the 'Contact Us' mailbox.  Almost rolled on the floor laughing at that suggestion.  I am going to send something to the CEO to see if it trickles down but any other suggestions?

2 minutes ago, gregtheegg said:

I spent a good half hour on the phone with Royal Caribbean with regard to their cruise with confidence and penalty fees.

My situation.

I reserved a cruise with a July 2022 departure date around Thanksgiving (late November) 2021 for two cabins and four travelers.  The cabins were not linked in the reservation system.  12/30/21 I cancelled one cabin.  1/15/22- about two weeks later I can cancelled the second cabin when I realized only half of my reservation was cancelled.  I put down a $1000 deposit- $250 for each traveller.  I am now ready to cruise and I find out that I have a $100 'penalty fee' for the two travelers cancelled 12/30/2021.  There was no penalty for the reservations cancelled two weeks later on 1/15/2022.  Royal Caribbean would only say that the program was 'modified' 1/1/2022.  My words not theirs because it made absolutely no sense.  If I cancelled  the first two travelers two days later then I would not have a penalty.  Again their words.   Can anyone shed any light on this?  I would expect the reservations cancelled later to have less of a refund than the ones cancelled sooner.  All reservations were cancelled more than 6 months before sailing. 

I am going to use my credits but I feel like a minnow swimming in the shark tank.  I have absolutely no trust doing business with RC. I assumed cruise with confidence meant that I could book a cruise and be treated fairly.

Any idea of who to complain to?  I talked to a customer service supervisor which was the 'highest' level I could talk to.  He suggested I send an email to the 'Contact Us' mailbox.  Almost rolled on the floor laughing at that suggestion.  I am going to send something to the CEO to see if it trickles down but any other suggestions?

Call back.  Both reservations should have been cancelled without any penalty under CWC.

The only difference was in January they started allowing refunds as opposed to getting an FCC. 

• Like 1

Do I have to ask for the refund?  I mean they have now offered to 'waive' the penalty for the contract cancelled in December.  I have asked for the terms of the contract and they cant supply that.  I may have booked a cruise for 12/21 in late 20 and then postponed to 7/22 and now finally going 1/23.  So I am going to assume that they are treating me fairly.  Sometimes my enthusiasm for travel gets ahead of me.... 🙂

14 minutes ago, gregtheegg said:

Do I have to ask for the refund?  I mean they have now offered to 'waive' the penalty for the contract cancelled in December.  I have asked for the terms of the contract and they cant supply that.  I may have booked a cruise for 12/21 in late 20 and then postponed to 7/22 and now finally going 1/23.  So I am going to assume that they are treating me fairly.  Sometimes my enthusiasm for travel gets ahead of me.... 🙂

There was a time period that yours fell under where if you cancelled in December you received an FCC.  If you cancelled that same cruise in January it was eligible for a refund.  There is no going back and asking for a refund for the one cancelled in December as those were the terms you agreed to when you cancelled.

Hey Ken,

I also have an issue. We booked (on-line) the Odyssey next February to celebrate my birthday. I also booked 2 other rooms for our adult kids. This was back in November, 2021, before all the vaccine and testing requirements were in place. Our kids refuse to get any of the required shots, so I tried to cancel their reservations. Even though I booked them on-line and used my CC, the agent said that they would each need to call to cancel and, since it was a NRD, I would probably get nothing back. Yesterday, I wrote an email to RCI "contact info" explaining all of this and haven't heard back just yet. Wondering if you have any advice for our scenario? I think I owe you some $$ for all of the advice you've given me! TIA! Sal

Oh, the agent also said that I should wait until RCI's new rules come out in September but I don't want to wait that long to cancel their rooms.

Edited by SilkySal
add

Do I have to fight for a full refund for the cruise I cancelled in January?  I asked about that and all they said is that I have a FCC.  I want to think they are treating me fairly and treating everyone uniformly.  But I am loosing trust to be honest.  I am 95% sure I want to take the cruise and the whole family will go with varying enthusiasm...  But if I am entitled to a full refund it would be nice if it was offered and not slimily disguised as a FCC

9 minutes ago, travelingbums said:

Hi Ken @Ourusualbeach,

I recently had to cancel our trip . Being charged $2120 cancellation penalty. This cruise was cancelled before our 90 day departure.( Booked an Owner Suite). This cruise was booked 2-2-2021 and there was only  a $500 cancellation penalty . Help.

Did you apply FCC's from a previously cancelled cruise.  Cancellation penalties from those carry over however they should be reissued as FCC's