Questions about NCL Joy

MsK64

My friend and I are veterans of multiple cruises each, but this is our first time on NCL, and I'm hoping I can get some answers from the experts among you. We are on the Joy for their Aug. 14th 9-day Caribbean cruise:

1. On the Bermuda Authorization form, it asks for a contact number while in port. Is there a number for the ship we're supposed to give, or do we just give our personal cell phone numbers?

2. What time does the pool open in the morning? And is there an 'adults only' pool on Joy? IF 'yes', what time does that open? 

3. From reading other posts here, I know that with the specialty dinners, you get 1 entree, but unlimited appetizers and desserts--correct? But do we have to tell the waitstaff when we sit down that we are there for a 'free' dinner (as part of the 'free at sea' promotion) so that they don't start tallying up a check, or will they know that from our reservation? 

4. Does anyone know which nights and/or times the big theater shows are? I know this is the first 9-night cruise of the season, but I had wondered if anyone had been on any 9-night NCL cruise, even if it was in a previous year or to a different place, because I'm thinking that maybe the shows would be spaced out the same, even if the destination was different.

5. Is there a formal night, even if it's just 'suggested'? And is there any kind of suggested dress code for the specialty restaurants?  My friend and I both enjoy getting a little dressed up once in a while on vacation, but we also don't want to pack things we're not going to need.

6. How many different versions of the Beatles Show at the Cavern are there? On the nights it's being performed, are there more than one show time? I know there's no reservations for that, so how early would you recommend we get there to ensure getting a seat? My friend and I have been besties since elementary school and we saw the Beatles together at Shea Stadium, so seeing this show(s) is very high on our 'must-do' list. 

I'm sure that as soon as I click 'submit', I'll think of more questions, but that's it for now. Neither of us have been on a cruise since the beginning of Covid, so we're both a little nervous but very excited to be back at sea. Thanks in advance for the help in answering our questions...

47 minutes ago, MsK64 said:

2. What time does the pool open in the morning? And is there an 'adults only' pool on Joy? IF 'yes', what time does that open?

The pool deck is open real early.  I'm not sure if there is actually a time after which you are allowed into the water.  There's no lifeguard so it's not like you have to wait for them to show up.  The adults-only area is Spice H2O, there's no pool per-se, it's a "water feature" and I think at least one hot tub.

3. From reading other posts here, I know that with the specialty dinners, you get 1 entree, but unlimited appetizers and desserts--correct? But do we have to tell the waitstaff when we sit down that we are there for a 'free' dinner (as part of the 'free at sea' promotion) so that they don't start tallying up a check, or will they know that from our reservation? 

Correct on what you're allowed to order.  They will verify that you're using the free-at-sea meal, the host will be able to see that you have a balance of at least one when you present your card before being seated.  They will confirm again at the end of the meal and will ask for card to "charge" it.

5. Is there a formal night, even if it's just 'suggested'? And is there any kind of suggested dress code for the specialty restaurants?  My friend and I both enjoy getting a little dressed up once in a while on vacation, but we also don't want to pack things we're not going to need.

The "dress up or not" is usually on a sea day.  As for specialty dining dress codes - Le Bistro and Ocean Blue are the only two that request men wear slacks and a polo or better, the rest are a 'come as you are' but you can certainly dress up if you wish.

6. How many different versions of the Beatles Show at the Cavern are there?

Each of 3 nights is a different show, each covering a different era in their music.  There MAY be nights with two shows (I don't have my dailies from my March trip handy).  Plan to be there EARLY for the show if you want a seat.  I stood at the back of the room for one, beyond the back end of the bar in the hallway leading to the crew access door.  It's a fantastic vibe though!  I think they do a theater show also (and they may on a longer cruise) but there's nothing like seeing them in the Cavern Club, a space DESIGNED for a Beatles show...

Edited by hallux

1 hour ago, MsK64 said:

My friend and I are veterans of multiple cruises each, but this is our first time on NCL, and I'm hoping I can get some answers from the experts among you. We are on the Joy for their Aug. 14th 9-day Caribbean cruise:

1. On the Bermuda Authorization form, it asks for a contact number while in port. Is there a number for the ship we're supposed to give, or do we just give our personal cell phone numbers?

4. Does anyone know which nights and/or times the big theater shows are? I know this is the first 9-night cruise of the season, but I had wondered if anyone had been on any 9-night NCL cruise, even if it was in a previous year or to a different place, because I'm thinking that maybe the shows would be spaced out the same, even if the destination was different.

6. How many different versions of the Beatles Show at the Cavern are there? On the nights it's being performed, are there more than one show time? I know there's no reservations for that, so how early would you recommend we get there to ensure getting a seat? My friend and I have been besties since elementary school and we saw the Beatles together at Shea Stadium, so seeing this show(s) is very high on our 'must-do' list. 

I'm sure that as soon as I click 'submit', I'll think of more questions, but that's it for now. Neither of us have been on a cruise since the beginning of Covid, so we're both a little nervous but very excited to be back at sea. Thanks in advance for the help in answering our questions...

1. Your personal phone number

2. Pools normally open at 7 am. 

3. The hostess will normally ask you if you intend to use your Dining Package when you check-in. 

4. The 9-nights is not a "normal" NCL cruise. Also, because of COVID and such, entertainment has been changing a lot. When you embark, go directly to The Social, Deck 6 mid-ship, and there will be a schedule of all entertainment. Check the ones you want and the agents there will book the shows for you. Then, go across the hall to Teppanyaki, Deck 6 mid-ship, to book/change your dinner reservations around the shows you just booked. 

5. There will be "Dress Up or Not" nights. You can dress up any night you want. There is nothing that makes one night "more special" than another. There will be photographers all over the ship every night to capture those special nights. 

All restaurants, for all meals, allow shorts to be worn with the exception of Le Bistro and Ocean Blue who request men to wear long pants (jeans and dockers are fine). So, there will be a lot of people in casual attire and cruise attire in all restaurants. Technically, Bermuda Shorts would be considered long pants on your cruise. 

6. The Cavern Club is first come first serve. Show up an hour early and enjoy a pre-show drink if you want a decent seat. The show of the night will be listed in the Freestyle Daily. 

Enjoy your cruise! It will be magical. We are on our 7th post-restart cruise in a couple of weeks. It has been great. We have only sailed on the Joy to Alaska. She is a beautiful ship. 

• Like 1