College Notification eMails while cruising?

Have two sons in College, one 2nd year undergrad the other starts Grad school in Sept.

The cost of the internet package seems a bit much, just to be checking emails a few times on the 9 Day cruise so:

Is free wifi at ports a good choice at ports (We stop at Labadee, San Juan - Puerto Rico, Philipsburg, St. Maarten) AND available?

It looks like we probably will get the 'messaging ap' of $1.99 pp pd, for the 4 iPhones but again don't think the Internet costs are justified.

Thoughts?  PS:  No streaming or high data just email checks.

9 minutes ago, Project-College said:

Is free wifi at ports a good choice at ports (We stop at Labadee, San Juan - Puerto Rico, Philipsburg, St. Maarten) AND available?

Yes, ask your MDR waiter or cabin steward for locations.

If you won't spring for the wifi, not sure the $56 for the chat function is worth it either.

• Like 1

Just now, Biker19 said:

Yes, ask your MDR waiter or cabin steward for locations.

If you won't spring for the wifi, not sure the $56 for the chat function is worth it either.

Glad I caught you again, as you always have the answers....

If u don't use the chat feature (as walkie talkies and whiteboard are out) how do you stay connected to two boys that will I am sure ditch their Parents within minutes on board?

There was one article that talked about iphones talking to one another without a cost BUT the article was dated 2017????

6 minutes ago, Project-College said:

There was one article that talked about iphones talking to one another without a cost BUT the article was dated 2017??

That loophole has been plugged. Set fixed meeting place/times or phone messages on cabin phone. 

My daughter is in college as well, so I bought the Internet package just in case she needs to do homework. She's a Computer Science major and a lot of their work requires her to log into some sort of master computer at the school in order to upload (or download?) code, so the free Internet during port stops won't cut it. 

You can buy one Internet package and your 2 kids can share it, they just have to use it at different times. 

6 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That loophole has been plugged. Set fixed meeting place/times or phone messages on cabin phone. 

'Fixed meeting place/time' I was aware of but never thought of messages on cabin phones?  Can you retrieve cabin phone messages from anywhere on the ship (of course using their phones) or just from your room?

The messaging app won't alert you - you have to check it manually, so it's a bit like using the whiteboard on the cabin door, you just don't have to return to the cabin to read messages. I guess paying $56 for 4 people to message is better than nothing.

You could try a "mesh messaging" app:

https://gizmodo.com/how-mesh-messaging-apps-work-and-why-you-might-need-on-1837859615

These use direct phone-to-phone Bluetooth and/or wifi connections.  Of course you have to be in range of each other or connected to a "chain" of other people on the ship using the same mesh app.  If you haven't done so, join your Roll Call group and see if you can get a bunch of people to try this with you.  It might work, though sporadically.  

For email access, see if your phone carrier offers any sort of international plan.  It won't get you Internet on the ship, but in port.  I've had variable experiences with the "free wifi" offered in port.  Most are offered by bars and restaurants for paying customers, and speeds can be not so great.  

Just now, ARandomTraveler said:

My daughter is in college as well, so I bought the Internet package just in case she needs to do homework. She's a Computer Science major and a lot of their work requires her to log into some sort of master computer at the school in order to upload (or download?) code, so the free Internet during port stops won't cut it. 

You can buy one Internet package and your 2 kids can share it, they just have to use it at different times. 

If either was STILL in classes I would definitely go with the Internet Package but this would be more just keeping on eye in case anything changes for Fall 2022 or if they (the college) need more basic info.  I missed something last year (around 8/8) where they asked for more info for the FinAid and it took me over a month to get corrected cause I missed their deadline by a day when we returned.

1 minute ago, Project-College said:

If either was STILL in classes I would definitely go with the Internet Package but this would be more just keeping on eye in case anything changes for Fall 2022 or if they (the college) need more basic info.  I missed something last year (around 8/8) where they asked for more info for the FinAid and it took me over a month to get corrected cause I missed their deadline by a day when we returned.

Oh gotcha - we're cruising during Fall quarter (thanksgiving) so she'll definitely have homework, unless she can arrange with her professors to turn stuff in ahead of time, in which case, I'll cancel the Internet. 

3 minutes ago, rudeney said:

The messaging app won't alert you - you have to check it manually, so it's a bit like using the whiteboard on the cabin door, you just don't have to return to the cabin to read messages. I guess paying $56 for 4 people to message is better than nothing.

You could try a "mesh messaging" app:

https://gizmodo.com/how-mesh-messaging-apps-work-and-why-you-might-need-on-1837859615

These use direct phone-to-phone Bluetooth and/or wifi connections.  Of course you have to be in range of each other or connected to a "chain" of other people on the ship using the same mesh app.  If you haven't done so, join your Roll Call group and see if you can get a bunch of people to try this with you.  It might work, though sporadically.  

For email access, see if your phone carrier offers any sort of international plan.  It won't get you Internet on the ship, but in port.  I've had variable experiences with the "free wifi" offered in port.  Most are offered by bars and restaurants for paying customers, and speeds can be not so great.  

cute ap as native Bluetooth distance is terrible! 

1 minute ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Oh gotcha - we're cruising during Fall quarter (thanksgiving) so she'll definitely have homework, unless she can arrange with her professors to turn stuff in ahead of time, in which case, I'll cancel the Internet. 

Not sure what College she is in but my 25 years experience with Universities... rare a Professor would make that sort of allowance for one that is on vacation.  Sickness/Family Issues, yes but vacations... have never seen it except at Princeton (he Parents had donated over 4 mil so I guess she deserved a few privilages).  

4 minutes ago, Project-College said:

Not sure what College she is in but my 25 years experience with Universities... rare a Professor would make that sort of allowance for one that is on vacation.  Sickness/Family Issues, yes but vacations... have never seen it except at Princeton (he Parents had donated over 4 mil so I guess she deserved a few privilages).  

They probably won't, she goes to Stanford, but it's also Thanksgiving break so I'm hoping anything that has to be done wont really be due until the week they come back, in which case she can work on it ahead of time before the trip, but you never know. 

I don't think there is any free wifi at Labadee. If you're based in the US, most plans include PR, so your phone would work normally there. We found free wifi at a restaurant in St Maarten. Like someone else mentioned, ask a crew member if they know where there is free wifi. 

4 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

They probably won't, she goes to Stanford, but it's also Thanksgiving break so I'm hoping anything that has to be done wont really be due until the week they come back, in which case she can work on it ahead of time before the trip, but you never know. 

Small world!  My son was waitlisted at Stanford then accepted.  His target (2018) was BioMathematics but Stanford only had Biomedical Computation.  After speaking with the Pharma 8... believe it or not the Rutgers program was the top!  Also, unfortunately, the most expensive of his 12 choices as all others offered very generous FinAid where Rutgers stunk... even though he is a fifth gen at the school, I taught there in the early 90's, and I am active in the Alumni.

This was his Graduation Cruise but now he's going to Grad School for Genetic Computational Biology.  My hope is he cracks the aging gene so I live long enough to pay off all the college loans!!!!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Project-College said:

cute ap as native Bluetooth distance is terrible! 

Yes, but like I said, if you can get a good group of people on your roll call to use the app, their phones all act as "repeaters".  I played around with it at home and the range is much better than typical Bluetooth.  For example, my BT earbuds only work within about 35 feet.  I was able to get this to work inside the house, through walls and floors in over 50 feet.  I have not tried it on a ship, but I thought it might be worth something to someone.  I think some of these may also work with wifi, which could extend the range. 

I am really surprised that Apple or Google has not come up with a built-in software like this.  They do use a "crowd sourced" type of network for Tiles and AirTags, so it's not much different.

7 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Yes, but like I said, if you can get a good group of people on your roll call to use the app, their phones all act as "repeaters".  I played around with it at home and the range is much better than typical Bluetooth.  For example, my BT earbuds only work within about 35 feet.  I was able to get this to work inside the house, through walls and floors in over 50 feet.  I have not tried it on a ship, but I thought it might be worth something to someone.  I think some of these may also work with wifi, which could extend the range. 

I am really surprised that Apple or Google has not come up with a built-in software like this.  They do use a "crowd sourced" type of network for Tiles and AirTags, so it's not much different.

Now there's a new ap I could make... Air Tag Talk!  Do u think Apple would be upset if use part of their name?

1 minute ago, Project-College said:

Now there's a new ap I could make... Air Tag Talk!  Do u think Apple would be upset if use part of their name?

"AirTalk"  would be a good name, except that it's already taken.  As is AirChat, AirMessage and AirText.

18 minutes ago, Project-College said:

So again... how about Air Tag Talk

Meh, it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.  But really, this needs to not be an "app", but a built-in feature of the phone O/S.  That way, you don't have to rely on anyone installing anything.  Isn't that how AirTags works - in that all Apple devices can sense and report on AirTags?