Themed (1980s theme) cruise????

Okay, I did get a search back with some good info.  I just would hope that the entire cruise is not "80's" every night!

I know that on the Regal, they had put together a rock band that did an amazing concert in the Piazza with that king of rock.  Journey, etc...  and that was great!  It would be good if this theme had something similar.   There was always Madonna, Cyndi Lauper. (loved her!), etc.

We did a "80's" cruise on the Regal in November and I would say it was an 80's cruise in name only.  I think there was one night where a few people dressed in 80's style clothes. There was one night where the band in the Piazza played 80's music and they were fantastic!

1 hour ago, DUCHESSRN said:

I would enjoy an 80,s cruise ,when is it?

18 minutes ago, partybarbie said:

There's one 11/8/22, Diamond Princess, 5-day out of San Diego. 

That's a new one I hadn't seen listed before.  There was an 80s themed cruise that was set up a few months ago on the Sapphire Princess.  Here's a screen capture of the description for that one:

80s-Themed-Cruise-Sapphire-October.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jilliebean28 said:

We did a "80's" cruise on the Regal in November and I would say it was an 80's cruise in name only.  I think there was one night where a few people dressed in 80's style clothes. There was one night where the band in the Piazza played 80's music and they were fantastic!

What a small world!  We were on the same cruise!  My recollection of it was a little different.  Considering they added the theme onto the cruise only two months before it sailed, I thought they did a pretty good job with the theme.  There was a fair amount of 80s music in the background, there were some extra 80s movies on the VOD (including Christmas movies from the 80s!).  We had Rich Girl, the tribute band for Hall and Oates; and Slippery When Wet, the tribute band for Bon Jovi, in the main theater on separate nights.  Both were very good, though I'm distinctly NOT a BJ fan.  We also had the comedian Carlos Oscar perform one night in the main theater.  His show wasn't particularly 80s-themed, but I thought he was quite good.  The other two nights (it was a 5 night cruise) there were regular Princess shows that appealed more to the usual Princess crowd.  There was also several sessions of 80s-themed trivia, which I happened to win twice. 😁 I saw a few people decked out in their 80s finest, which was fine with me.

@PRINCESS Sweet Pea, I hope you're taking notes.  Between what I described in this post, the screen capture I put in my last post, and what other people have said, that's likely what you're going to get.  I've made other plans, so I'll have to miss this one.  Have fun!  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

What a small world!  We were on the same cruise!  My recollection of it was a little different.  Considering they added the theme onto the cruise only two months before it sailed, I thought they did a pretty good job with the theme.  There was a fair amount of 80s music in the background, there were some extra 80s movies on the VOD (including Christmas movies from the 80s!).  We had Rich Girl, the tribute band for Hall and Oates; and Slippery When Wet, the tribute band for Bon Jovi, in the main theater on separate nights.  Both were very good, though I'm distinctly NOT a BJ fan.  We also had the comedian Carlos Oscar perform one night in the main theater.  His show wasn't particularly 80s-themed, but I thought he was quite good.  The other two nights (it was a 5 night cruise) there were regular Princess shows that appealed more to the usual Princess crowd.  There was also several sessions of 80s-themed trivia, which I happened to win twice. 😁 I saw a few people decked out in their 80s finest, which was fine with me.

@PRINCESS Sweet Pea, I hope you're taking notes.  Between what I described in this post, the screen capture I put in my last post, and what other people have said, that's likely what you're going to get.  I've made other plans, so I'll have to miss this one.  Have fun!  

Haha....it almost seems like we were on two different cruises!  I don't remember any 80's themed movies or background music (I don't think I drank that much 😉).  Truly just may not have been  paying that close attention though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, partybarbie said:

There's one 11/8/22, Diamond Princess, 5-day out of San Diego. 

Thank you so much ,we get off Love Board cruise 10/29 and don't think it is possible to fly down again so soon.

• Like 1

I was on the regal 80s cruise everyone is talking about too. It had a little bit of the 80s but not over the top. There was a bonjovi cover band one night. And there was an 80s deck party. We dressed up for that (leg warmers etc). There were some 80s themed trivia games in princess live. And there was an 80s dj dance party in one of the lounges. 

• Like 1

The cruise we are considering changed "name" yesterday; it is now called "Comedy Themed West Coast Getaway...".  So Princess added "Comedy Themed".  I wonder what they mean?  Most of the shows on this cruise will be comedy shows? 

18 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

The cruise we are considering changed "name" yesterday; it is now called "Comedy Themed West Coast Getaway...".  So Princess added "Comedy Themed".  I wonder what they mean?  Most of the shows on this cruise will be comedy shows? 

Which sailing was this?  Thanks.  I'm having trouble finding it.

They did a few comedy sailings last year and one this year in the UK.  They had more comedians (two or three instead of one) in the main theater, more comedies on the VOD, and some other comedy-related stuff I can't recall.  Be sure to give us all a trip report!

7 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Which sailing was this?  Thanks.  I'm having trouble finding it.

They did a few comedy sailings last year and one this year in the UK.  They had more comedians (two or three instead of one) in the main theater, more comedies on the VOD, and some other comedy-related stuff I can't recall.  Be sure to give us all a trip report!

Nov. 10 on the Discovery Princess, 4 days.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

Nov. 10 on the Discovery Princess, 4 days.

Thanks.   Found it.  I guess they'll add this one and the 80s one on Diamond to their themed cruise master list.

Also, I want to note that this is about two weeks after the Discovery's big Love Boat themed cruise.  There's too much time in between for a comfortable B2B, but I wonder if anyone will do both of these?

Edited by Honolulu Blue

2 hours ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

Thanks everyone!  

This is 4 day shortie...

If I did this, I wonder how a Cyndi Lauper / Madonna type getup would go over.

Big hair, big makeup...  Hahahaha!!!

Sounds like I am hearing a Bon Jovi 'Rock' atmosphere.

It sounds good to me. Those that don't understand the theme (and there will be some) don't matter. I think they had one of two Bon Movies tribute bands on all the 80s cruises they had last year, so I think it's likely you'll get one on this one.

I see that Leo Rossi is scheduled for that cruise.  Anyone who has the slightest interest in rock history should attend 1 if not all of his talks/lectures.  He was a road manager for Fleetwood Mac, the Beach Boys and several other MEGA groups.  When he was on one of our cruises we went to all of his talks and loved every minute of them...especially the Q&A's.

• Like 1

It seems that Princess has added some 80s themed cruises for 2023.  Here's that list:

• January 11, 2023 - Regal Princess, 4 days, Ft. Lauderdale RT
  • February 16, 2023 - Discovery Princess, 4 days, Los Angeles RT (San Pedro)
  • April 9, 2023 - Ruby Princess, 5 days, Galveston RT
  • April 22, 2023 - Discovery Princess, 4 days, Los Angeles RT (San Pedro)

They also added some comedy cruises; if anyone is interested, I can dig out that list.  

But back to the 80s.  I'm most intrigued by the ones in April.  Don't be surprised if I get on one of them. 🙂

Sounds more like tight jeans and leather and 'hair' than Cyndi Lauper and the bright colored clothes and leg warmers mentioned...  But, sounds cool.

I did find out that X-Cite will not be the ship's band.

They were awesome before the shut-down!

It sounds like, maybe by Princess, they have limited their instruments and band members onboard.

Maybe a lot of pre-recorded track stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:  Princess has added the dates and bands to their main themed cruise page at https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/special-events/ .  Here's the list: