Does Viking have a large enough staff to handle a full ship?

Let Me Travel!

Just wondering…I was on a River cruise in April/May…staff numbers seemed adequate…training not so much (lots of reaching across in the dining room)….but…I’m leaving to do a River and ocean trip for the month of August…are there enough staff members to provide the “Viking Standards”? What do you all think?

18 minutes ago, Let Me Travel! said:

Just wondering…I was on a River cruise in April/May…staff numbers seemed adequate…training not so much (lots of reaching across in the dining room)….but…I’m leaving to do a River and ocean trip for the month of August…are there enough staff members to provide the “Viking Standards”? What do you all think?

The pax/crew ratio is more than adequate to provide Viking's level of service, provided the crew are all healthy and able to report for duty.

Unfortunately, a side effect to the cessation of daily COVID testing and mask mandates, that many pax pushed for, is increased infections onboard the vessel. As I anticipated, the infections also spread to the hotel crew, who must isolate when they test positive.

While those that complained about the daily testing and masking won, when COVID is present on a vessel, we will all now suffer the consequences of reduced pax service, as crew members are quarantined. Unfortunately, at sea, you can't pick up the phone and call in replacements.

The remaining healthy crew also have to work longer and harder, which results in fatigue, making them more susceptible to both injury and infection. 

• Like 10

I agree with the OP.  We were on a River Cruise in May/June and the staff were just not trained and ready.  The local restaurants have better service.  They didn't know what was on the menu, not assigned particular tables (just running around), no refills, orders just forgotten, really didn't know how to do table service unfortunately.  

Main bartender and one server in the Lounge who knew what they were doing.  Otherwise, no idea what drinks were and would forget to bring you what you ordered.

All cruise lines are experiencing staff shortage. Mostly due to COVID of the crew members.

So less crew on any given day to do what needs to be done. Remember, COIVD is still,among us. .

• Like 3